Author Topic: Keeping your holes de-iced. THE way to do it!  (Read 6227 times)

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
Keeping your holes de-iced. THE way to do it!
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Good evening everyone,

Been lazy and smart I was looking for a way to de-ice my holes without working hard and having to walk every 10 to 15 minutes in cold day for doing it.

I started last winter with isolofoil circles but even in cold temperature the ice freezed. They were working good for warmer weather tho.

I've seen on youtube videos showing a small box with a candle in it to keep the air around the hole hot enough so it won't freeze. The problem is it will cost at least one or two candles for everyday ice fishing for each hole. That being said when you go on the ice for 20-25 days in a season like I do for the last 2 years that's a decent amount of candles you need. The only good thing about that idea is the girl from the dollar store would think I am a romantic guy if I showed up at the cash register with a 100 candles.  ::)

There's also small vibrating floating pucks that keeps the hole from freezing. However their battery life is not that long and I have a doubt about them keeping the ice out of the hole when it's really cold.

That being said my idea came from my backyard pond life and tricks. I used a small air pump to keep a small area of the pond from freezing.

Since we have limited electric supply on the lake I decided to purchase a small 2w solar panel that I connected to a small air pump for aquarium.
When it's sunny outside this device can keep at least 2 holes from freezing at -15°C. I have mounted the solar panel on a small frame and installed the air pump on it as well. I have a splitter manifold to adjust each hoses airflow.

Black air hoses are better since they are not freezing compared to white or clear ones.

The cost per hole to de-ice is between 5-7$ CDN depending on where you take your material. The air hose cost .10$ a foot.

Obviously at night they will not work. (Don't know why ??? ) Since I have a big car battery in my shanty I can power them with it without any issues. They use USB ports so they can be plugged in with a booster pack as well.

The solar panel on is stand in my workshop. For testing purposes I used a USB adapter but with the sun it's working great too.

Simple test I did for a whole day at -15°C with only one hole. The output of the hose was around 16'' deep which is too much for regular use.

The manifold with valves to adjust each output.

Two outputs at the same time.

Around 6.5'' deep and still working nicely.

I will test on the ice next week-end and let you know.

I don't pretend been the first one to use this idea but at least I though it was a good idea to share with you guys.

Sam

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Keeping your holes de-iced. THE way to do it!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:35 PM »
An interesting take on an age old problem. Thanks for sharing because it got me thinking. Don't know how power your pump takes but if you used a setup similar to the cutesy solar lights all the girls know and love where the pump would run and batteries would charge by day could at least take you into the night time hours a ways.

More wrinkles include keeping the pump inside a small 6 pack sized cooler and tossing in a heat pack to pump warm air into the hole thereby lowering the temp at which you could expect an ice-free environment. OR since you've got power in play, employ a Peltier junction (look it up, way cool no pun intended) to provide "free" heat to the system.

For the most part I'm good with simply covering a hole for a tipup but that really doesn't address the issue of jigging.

"OK, OK. I've got it. A solution to eliminate garbage: Edible paper". An add on gizmo to your already powered locator to pump warm air with the existing battery augmented by a complimentary solar panel by day.

Gotta love IS! Thanks again for sharing Sam!  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2017, 06:34 PM »
I have used a little air bubbler that folks use to keep minnows alive.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:09 PM »
Clever got a parts list and some links?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:55 AM »
I’ve though about using those battery powered pumps (just haven’t done it yet, but the solar panel is a nice touch. Question, are you using an air stone or just running the tubing bare?  I can see a problem with airstones freezing when moving locations or when you pull out to land a fish. Still, I can see myself putting a pump in my sonar bag and clipping the tubing to my transducer cable. At the least I’m going to try one for one of my dead stick setups.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:01 AM »
The only thing I have found that works in any temps, is pulling fish out of the hole, never freezes up !!!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Don't sit directly on the ice.
Your hole won't get iced over in the first place ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:18 PM »

Don't sit directly on the ice.
Your hole won't get iced over in the first place ...

:tipup:
Lobes
:o ;D ;D ;D :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Pilsner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2018, 12:21 PM »
I keep a can of Lake water on the stove heating up and when holes are iced I pour some hot water on hole and problem solved .

Offline RipLipp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:04 PM »
I just pee in the hole :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.