Author Topic: Symptoms of a bad battery?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Symptoms of a bad battery?
« on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Hey guys,

I bought a used Marcum Lx-5 several years ago. It came with 2 batteries. Been working great with no issues. Then the other night I took it out and after 45 min it started acting weird. It was working fine when I got there, but then I switched holes and all of a sudden there was a lot of interference and the screen looked like there were weeds. But no weeds. And there was no red showing the bottom. I knew how deep it was and it was showing no red there. It was hard to see my jig and over time it would seem to fade out with less and less color even if I turned the gain up. Eventually all color faded to just a small yellow line where my jig was. Then even that disappeared. I tried playing with the gain and moved it back to the hole it was working on when I first got there but that didn't help.

I know the battery was fully charged when I went out there. But when I got home I started thinking the last couple times I charged it, it took a LONG time to get it back to full charge. 

I always just assumed when the battery died, it would just shut off. But now I am thinking the battery issue might be causing what I was seeing the other night.

What do you guys think? Could this have been a battery issue causing the unit to act weird?
Where's the FISH?!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Symptoms of a bad battery?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:53 AM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Thanks diehard! Well, the spare battery is dead. So guess I will try to get a new one and see if that solves the problem.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline GILL GETTER 357

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Time for a new battery,mine did the same thing.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:21 PM »
you should give them a hard charge at over 2amp every now and then especially after long run times - those 1 amp wall chargers aren't going to keep your battery in great shape if its all you use

Catchin' Fish

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Q: How do I know if my battery is dead?
A: If it won't turn on, its dead.

;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Well, I picked up a new battery at Walmart. Could only find an 8 AH battery, but it seemed to fix the problem. I will get a 9 AH battery next year and keep this one as a backup.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Well, I picked up a new battery at Walmart. Could only find an 8 AH battery, but it seemed to fix the problem. I will get a 9 AH battery next year and keep this one as a backup.

You'll be fine with the 8 ah battery ...just charge after each and every outing ...let the battery warm up to room temperature before charging ...I have ran 7 and 8 ah batteries in my electronics for a couple years as they seem easier to locate and can find a deal on them also.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.