The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lansing Hardwater  (Read 62498 times)

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lansing Hardwater
« Reply #420 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:39 PM »
I'll be going to Total Firearms pit tomorrow.  I'm drinking beer now though, so it won't be early.  Probably 11'ish.  I'll have black coveralls, a small black sled, a couple white buckets, and a drill auger.  I've got a shanty, but it will be 15-20 tomorrow so I don't need it.  My digits are five oh 5 twenty, twenty five if anyone wants to call or text. 
- Joe

Offline FragsFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #421 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Anyone going to Morrison tomorrow? I’m thinking of heading there early AM. I would also go to Gun lake if anyone wants to go there.

Cole

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #422 on: Feb 16, 2019, 02:19 PM »
I'm a redneck I'll be watching our Superbowl the Datona 500
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #423 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:32 PM »
 I went to Total this afternoon.  The bite was slow, but decent size to them.  I came back with 12 nice size keeper gills, and one smallish perch I'm going to use on a tip-up tomorrow.  Enough to make the fresh fish loving asian wife very happy.  I tried to do a runtime test of my Ridgid Gen5x drill with 5" lazer auger, but failed.  I drilled 25 holes on a 2.0AH battery, and still had 3 out of 4 bars left.  I'm too lazy to drill that many holes.  I'm going to quit taking my two 4.0AH batteries with me.  Unless we get serious thick ice, my two 2.0AH batteries are plenty.

I'll be at Total again tomorrow.  Hopefully earlier than noon.  I want a limit.  The guys out in deep water were getting a lot of little ones.  I found a big bushy looking downed sunken tree along the far edge, and fished it.  Not many, but nice size to them.

- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #424 on: Feb 17, 2019, 07:09 PM »
My new awesome pike rod, or maybe not?   

My dad bought that for me over 50 years ago.  It was to keep me busy at Houghton Lake when I was about 6 years old, and it worked.  I got a few pike on it.  I haven't used it in at least 45 years. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see if it still works well.  Today I was talking with a guy, and he had some strange looking reel.  I asked him what it was, and he says "It's a new In Line Reel, they work great!".  Then I point at my 35 year old schooley? rods and say "Those are In Line reels aren't they"?.  It was funny...:)   The more things change, the more they stay the same in many cases.
- Joe

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #425 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:38 AM »
That's awesome Joe
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #426 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:17 AM »
My new awesome pike rod, or maybe not?   

My dad bought that for me over 50 years ago.  It was to keep me busy at Houghton Lake when I was about 6 years old, and it worked.  I got a few pike on it.  I haven't used it in at least 45 years. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see if it still works well.  Today I was talking with a guy, and he had some strange looking reel.  I asked him what it was, and he says "It's a new In Line Reel, they work great!".  Then I point at my 35 year old schooley? rods and say "Those are In Line reels aren't they"?.  It was funny...:)   The more things change, the more they stay the same in many cases.
- Joe

Brings back memories. I had one just like that (think it was made by the same company) that my dad gave me when I was a kid at Houghton Lake, close to 60 years ago. I think it was a Christmas present. Looks like it should be good for you to haul in a few more pike with it  ;D. Good luck!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #427 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Thats is sweet vintage!ive been looking for 1 at garage sales to jig pike decoys while spearing.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #428 on: Feb 18, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Today I went to Total again.  22 keepers this time.  I put a small perch on a tip-up, and tried my jigging rod, but no luck with pike.  It seemed like I was the only one at Total having luck today.  The wife worked 11 hours today and is tired, so I have to clean my own fish.  I think I remember how.  Oh, and at Total, for me the bite drops off at about 3:00 PM.  After 3:00 it's like 1 fish every 10 minutes.  I didn't bring the camera today, and didn't use the fish finder.  I'm having better luck getting back to basics and using common sense to find the fish.
- Joe 

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #429 on: Feb 21, 2019, 07:50 PM »
I plan on going out to Total again Friday night, and Saturday whenever  I've never tried night at total, so why not?  Saturday/Sunday, If it gets wet enough, I may make the wife let me use our van, so I can take my Shappel 3000 shanty.  I'll probably fish Sunday also.  Not sure where.  But I might be bored and want to try someplace different by then.
I'm at five-one 7, five oh 5, twenty, twenty five.
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #430 on: Feb 22, 2019, 11:09 PM »
I worked way too hard tonight at Total to get 12 keeper gills over 3 hours.  I was the only one on the lake.  I left at 8:45 or so.  I need a new place to obsess over. I'd like to try Morrison tomorrow afternoon/evening, but there probably won't be any parking.  Is there driving ice there?  I'm ready to just drive out like the old days.  Screw parking..:)  And this coming Sunday.  It will be warm, but if you use a shanty, bring anchors.  50 MPH wind gusts are in the forecast. 
- Joe

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #432 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Someone posted a video of this idiot on ice shanty last week. Dude is dam lucky he didn't kill himself....1. When he fell and cracked his head on the ice and 2. When he crawled back into his truck and it started to sink.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #433 on: Mar 01, 2019, 06:32 PM »
Live from Morrison lake parking lot:

One keeper Crappie, that I finally put back before heading in.

Marking fish was a challenge.  Once marked, very difficult to entice a bite.  Tried spikes and plastics. Crappie came on plastic. 

Tried at least 20 different holes from 13' to 17'. Caught the crappie in 17'. A couple bites here and there through out the range.

Heading back in the morning. 

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #434 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:55 PM »
We were on a small lake south of there today with similar experience. One fat (with eggs) 10" perch and a keeper gill that we put back after four hours of catching nothing else. It was almost funny. In 9 fow the sonar shows no fish. Drop in the jig and they start coming in one or two at a time until the graph is mostly black (Showdown, no colors). But they would not bite! Both spikes and plastics. Frustrating, but it teaches you humility.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #435 on: Mar 02, 2019, 05:21 AM »
6:20 and I'm the third car in the parking lot at Morrison.  Giving it another try this morning. 
Good luck to all my fellow fishermen that make it out today.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #436 on: Mar 02, 2019, 03:08 PM »
6 keeper crappie, and 3 keeper gills, and a handful throw backs in the first couple hours. Bite was pretty much non existent from 10-2. Did manage to catch 4 large mouth bass. One really nice one. All my keeper fish came on plastics.  Spikes and wax worms produce nothing but throw backs.

Any one heard anything on Jordan Lake or Chemung?

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #437 on: Mar 02, 2019, 09:21 PM »
I've never fished Chemung and I haven't fished Jordan this year. A couple years ago I had some fun going out to 30+ fow and catching decent sized gills. That's the deepest I've ever caught them. I'd also like to know what's happening there this year.

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #438 on: Mar 10, 2019, 02:04 PM »
is the fat lady singing? I never got out this year
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #439 on: Mar 10, 2019, 11:30 PM »
Thursday's high of 66* will probably have the fat lady singing in southern Michigan.  Looks like the whole state will reach into at least the 50's. Traverse City and north should hold up for a couple weeks. The 10 day forecast isn't looking to bad for northern Michigan. 
About time to start thinking about the Detroit river walleye run. Will be giving that a try this year. If any one is interested in going, hit me up.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #440 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:28 PM »
The 66 forecast Thursday is one thing.  All the warm rain Wednesday and Thursday will take out shore ice. Might still get out with waders or long boards.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #441 on: Mar 15, 2019, 05:14 PM »
It's over for me.  I got out 6-7 times is all.  I probably averaged 17 or so fish per outing.  Not a great year, but better than the ones where it never gets cold. 

Now I'm looking for a nice day to go over my little 14' aluminum boat, and see how the 9.8 and 3.6 motors are doing :)

- Joe

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #442 on: Mar 18, 2019, 03:07 PM »
For what it's worth. Just got a text from a buddie over in Saranac.  He said Morrison was still being fished.  He didn't say anything in regards to shore ice or ice thickness.  Might be worth a drive to your favorite lake and see if some last ice is possible. Take a spud and spikes.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:38 PM »
So where do we move this to for Summer fishing?  Some of us fish shore, some have boats, and we want to group up!  :)

- Joe

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #444 on: Nov 05, 2019, 10:55 PM »
That time of the year again boys. I moved to the Hastings area but still work in the Lansing area several times a month. I’ll be able to give updates mostly around the west side of Eaton east side of Barry  county but will venture around Lansing from time to time. Got some great promising temps early this year for the first time in a while! Hoping for a few inches by mid December fingers crossed. I’ll keep ya posted
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #445 on: Nov 06, 2019, 08:27 PM »
Good to see you back!
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #446 on: Jan 09, 2020, 02:15 PM »
Happy new year my fellow Lansing hard water fisherman. We'll be very lucky to have fishable ice around the Lansing area, from the looks of things. Has anyone made a trip north to fish? Middle of December, I saw people fishing Crooked lake near Petoskey,  while I was up there trying to fill a couple to deer tags.
Good luck this year and be safe.

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #447 on: Jan 09, 2020, 02:18 PM »
3 weeks ago the wife and I were on the north side of Houghton Lake, slow but we were out.
My buddies 2 boys were up there this past Saturday and got a few eyes and were on 7"
on good ice, they were out off the north boat launch somewhere.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #448 on: Jan 21, 2020, 06:18 PM »
Any ice report's around Lansing and surrounding areas?
The Grand river, east of Waverly rd, has ice a 1/3 of the way across from both sides. With river current trying to freeze,  it should bold well for area lakes.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #449 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:11 PM »
Any ice report's around Lansing and surrounding areas?
The Grand river, east of Waverly rd, has ice a 1/3 of the way across from both sides. With river current trying to freeze,  it should bold well for area lakes.

I also allowed myself to have some faint hope for area lakes. But today I had a chance to check Waterloo-Pinckney area and it's not encouraging. I looked at about five lakes, pretty shallow ones, and nobody had been out. A few people had spudded to check near shore and the ice looked to be about 3" and not strong. A couple of them had scary looking wet spots. There's no way I would go out on the ice I saw today. But let's keep sharing what we see. Maybe we'll be able get out around here before the season is over (fingers crossed).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.