New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Syracuse NY Ice Fishing Show  (Read 18807 times)

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Syracuse NY Ice Fishing Show
« Reply #120 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:22 PM »
I attended Friday, an earlier post tells that I spent about $500 on a new Clam flip up and snowmobile rack, plus some assorted goodies.  In retrospect, comparing last year's show with this year's, this year I missed the little booths with the guys hawking various little gems like the plastic jig discs or shanty anchors.  This year's show had the feel of the big guys in control.  I may have saved a bit on both the big items I bought, but I still missed all the little gizmo booths.

As far as parking, $7 in the lot is pricey, $3.50 for 2 hours in the garage not much better as I spent 5 hours there on Friday.  I find myself enjoying the seminars and agree with someone's earlier post that they're worth the money just for them.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline pawaide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:23 PM »
I hand the man a 20 and he gives me change for a 50 ;D needless to say The oncenter bought me some jigs today.  Thank you syracuse!

seems to me that if I am gonna sell my soul, it will be for a bit more than thirty bucks.......but to each their own, I guess.

Offline Braaap-n-Trap

• IceShanty Rookie
  • team dale ny
« Reply #122 on: Dec 11, 2010, 10:54 PM »
wish i coulda went today but had to work just wrote down directions headed out first thing in the mornin im so pumped i cant wait never been to this show

Offline girthymuskie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Dec 11, 2010, 11:32 PM »
On-street parking is free on Sundays, don't pay that $7 or $3.50 nonsense.  Should be plenty of spaces if you're willing to walk a block or two.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #124 on: Dec 12, 2010, 12:56 AM »
Does anybody know if Marcum had any cameras left? Thanks

Im 99% sure Thorne Bros had some of each camera left. If they dont, we'll take orders...

The show has been alot of fun so far and turn-out has been great! Sure there has been some issues and everyone dosnt have all the products they would like to have.
But just seeing the turn-out chatting with and helping all the folks in the TB area has been awesome. Showed alot of rods, jigs, and stuff to some super nice folks!
The growth each year has been tremendous and that is big! Grow and learn...
on sunday
Seen alot of familar faces and chatted with many.  ;D See some more tomorrow...

Offline windbeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:23 AM »
Thanks for the rack link, I really appreciate it.

Bill

Offline Baitshop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ross
« Reply #126 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:45 AM »
Check out Joe Pikulski's tungsten jigs at the Ice Agetotor booth, the Smackin' Jack Lures and the $10 buckets at All Seasons Sports, the custom rods at Thorne Brothers and the Arctic Armor Suits at the IDI booth.  Those were my favorites....  Seminars were great!  Dave Genz lost his voice though...say hello but don't make him talk too much.

Offline Baitshop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ross
« Reply #127 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:15 AM »
went to the ice show today and paid 6$ for parking.  I stood in the ticket line stewing about it getting ready to pay another 6$ for admission.  I hand the man a 20 and he gives me change for a 50 ;D needless to say The oncenter bought me some jigs today.  Thank you syracuse!
Being dishonest and not returning the money is the same as shoplifting the jigs.....not something to be proud of. 

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:34 AM »
Not a big fan of paying more to park than going to an activity, but definitely not going to cheat someone out of their buck. The other day the misses and I picked up our xmas tree. 5 miles down the road we each thought the other paid, turned around and went back. It's a nice family business we always get our tree from, I appreciate the experience they provide and it would have gnawed at me knowing I cheated them.

Just me 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #129 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:56 AM »
see ya boys there today ,i'll be hanging out at the northland booth , stop in and see the new line up

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:58 AM »
see ya boys there today ,i'll be hanging out at the northland booth , stop in and see the new line up
Only have a couple scoops of horseradish left so don't be late to the sinus clearing event at the Maki Booth !! :o :o
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #131 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:05 AM »
Only have a couple scoops of horseradish left so don't be late to the sinus clearing event at the Maki Booth !! :o :o
I'm still clear but i'll be over for another shot  :'(

Offline jiginjumbos

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:14 AM »
The show wasn't worth driving 3 hr. from buffalo , not much there that i wanted ,the only good vender was thorn brothers.  $7.00 to park and $6.00 to get in ,could of went to Gender mt. and got the samething....and not spend $60.00 in gas driving there................. ...
THINK COLD WEATHER AND COLD BEER.........

Offline Baitshop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ross
« Reply #133 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:24 AM »
Joe Pikulski broke out in a sweat yesterday when his daughter handed him some of those cheese n' crackers with the Horseradish on them!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #134 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:49 AM »
Joe Pikulski broke out in a sweat yesterday when his daughter handed him some of those cheese n' crackers with the Horseradish on them!

I saw that...  Poor Joe..   After the first bite he didnt know what to do with the rest of it.... ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:51 AM »

I saw that...  Poor Joe..   After the first bite he didnt know what to do with the rest of it.... ;D ;D
He gave me "the look" and then manned up and ate the rest of the snack ! ;D ;D ;D
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

luv2fish2

« Reply #136 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:18 AM »
The wife and i went saturday 10:30-2:30.. had a good time. Lots of things that i didn't expect to see. (snowmobile rack from Johnston Outdoors was pretty cool and the aluminum huts from the guys from Maine.) We traveled from Olean area. Was quite a ride, but think it was worth it. Met some nice people, beautiful day.  Raquette dacker was manning the booth. Wanted to pick up a hoodie from IS, ran out of money. Will definately go again next year and plan the whole day around it.  Checked out all elec. and power augers. Ended up stopping at Bass Pro, they had a great sale. Picked up an Eskimo Z51, with a cover for 296.00 plus tax. Great day, Great week-end. Tight Lines, Safe Ice and a Merry Christmas to All....  ;D

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Thorn does have clams and Frabill for sale just not last night...the truck showed up after the show started and the product was stuck out on the dock with no one to move it in. Gander had "limited styles" of clams there as well for sale, but you had to ask and they would go out back a pull it in on a cart, Gander was not offering a "show special price". I wanted a Frabill one man and could not find one to buy, the units on display where not for sale except one that had a sold sign on it, according to "Bro". He said you had to buy from the vendors and I could not find one who had product on the floor, so I came home shelterless. I did end up with a new MarCum VS625SD from the Krugerfarm booth for a good price but realized when I got home they put the wrong charger cord in my box. I bought the last VS625SD they had (display unit) this was within an hour of the doors opening. I'm not sure how you come from St. Paul with 4 MarCum cameras to sell and think you got it covered for inventory. I have been to every show so far and I will go back next year. This show seemed disjointed compared to the past shows, I think it had to do with manufacture/vendor relationships.
[/quot

gerryb:  There was some confusion when I bought the last VS620 cam at Kruger Farms also. I now wonder if I got the right charger???? I will check it out and see, I <MAY> have gotten your charger as the sales guy that packaged the display unit up had 3 different charging units and got 3 different answers from Marcum rep and the guy taking payments, and the other sales rep there. I hope they did me right.......
BIGJim223

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:28 AM »
went to the ice show today and paid 6$ for parking.  I stood in the ticket line stewing about it getting ready to pay another 6$ for admission.  I hand the man a 20 and he gives me change for a 50 ;D needless to say The oncenter bought me some jigs today.  Thank you syracuse!

People like you give the rest of us a bad name... So much for the bumper sticker that says " Kids who hunt and fish don"t mug little old ladies " ....

Generally , people who b*tch about paying 7 bucks to park , dont b*tch about paying that much for a pack of smokes, thus the reason to park by the front door vs. walk a block or two and park for free.

Also some of these same people have top line equipment and drive late model trucks.   Just sayin

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Dec 12, 2010, 10:33 AM »
are there any really good deals on shantys? thinking about going

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #140 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:03 AM »
are there any really good deals on shantys? thinking about going

YES...  And dont be afraid to haggle with the price...    Some of these guys dont want to pack all this stuff up and bring it home...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #141 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:26 AM »
... hit the show yesterday (Chi and I)– definitely a worthy run (‘bout 5 hour round trip for us) it’s a first time for me, but – for anyone who spends any kind ‘a time on the ice, it was a must do … there’s no way, you’re going to see “that” many people, all in one place, at one time who enjoy what we do, at all levels of enjoyment, and involvement … Just great to meet all the new people, (vendor reps / suppliers / and IS members) and run into a few people I haven’t seen in a while from the other side of the state, who made it …

… What did I bring home with me? … aside from the few expected items I purchased … a full belly of Dino Ribs – and plenty of personally made contacts … Priceless !
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

perch@pans

« Reply #142 on: Dec 12, 2010, 12:13 PM »
are there any really good deals on shanty's? thinking about going
At frabill if you are looking for the top of the line single thermal it is as low as it can get and was the last one yesterday afternoon Talked with Brian Brohsdahl for an hour about the product lines ,fishing, travel,beer ,Dinosaur BBQ . He put on a good sales pitch for that last single thermal . If I was flush with cash I would have went home with it.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #143 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:22 PM »
... hit the show yesterday (Chi and I)– definitely a worthy run (‘bout 5 hour round trip for us) it’s a first time for me, but – for anyone who spends any kind ‘a time on the ice, it was a must do … there’s no way, you’re going to see “that” many people, all in one place, at one time who enjoy what we do, at all levels of enjoyment, and involvement … Just great to meet all the new people, (vendor reps / suppliers / and IS members) and run into a few people I haven’t seen in a while from the other side of the state, who made it …

… What did I bring home with me? … aside from the few expected items I purchased … a full belly of Dino Ribs – and plenty of personally made contacts … Priceless !

you sir should be a spoke person for the show in its self. last i knew this show was about ice fishing and the great out doers and enjoying fishing. not complaining about this costs this and that  ??? ??? i was there for 2 hours and i spent $400.00 on top of parking and admission. no complaining here ??? ??? i thought it was a good show 8)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:53 PM »

The dinosaur was awsome . Food and waitress was great. I thuoght the show was missing allot. But I did get a good deal on a Marcum lx3 ;D
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline GerryB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Thorn does have clams and Frabill for sale just not last night...the truck showed up after the show started and the product was stuck out on the dock with no one to move it in. Gander had "limited styles" of clams there as well for sale, but you had to ask and they would go out back a pull it in on a cart, Gander was not offering a "show special price". I wanted a Frabill one man and could not find one to buy, the units on display where not for sale except one that had a sold sign on it, according to "Bro". He said you had to buy from the vendors and I could not find one who had product on the floor, so I came home shelterless. I did end up with a new MarCum VS625SD from the Krugerfarm booth for a good price but realized when I got home they put the wrong charger cord in my box. I bought the last VS625SD they had (display unit) this was within an hour of the doors opening. I'm not sure how you come from St. Paul with 4 MarCum cameras to sell and think you got it covered for inventory. I have been to every show so far and I will go back next year. This show seemed disjointed compared to the past shows, I think it had to do with manufacture/vendor relationships.
[/quot

gerryb:  There was some confusion when I bought the last VS620 cam at Kruger Farms also. I now wonder if I got the right charger???? I will check it out and see, I <MAY> have gotten your charger as the sales guy that packaged the display unit up had 3 different charging units and got 3 different answers from Marcum rep and the guy taking payments, and the other sales rep there. I hope they did me right.......
BIGJim223

Big Jim, Let me know what you find out, If you got the wrong cord I will send you a pic of what I have.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #146 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:01 PM »
went to the ice show today and paid 6$ for parking.  I stood in the ticket line stewing about it getting ready to pay another 6$ for admission.  I hand the man a 20 and he gives me change for a 50 ;D needless to say The oncenter bought me some jigs today.  Thank you Syracuse!

That $30 you stole wasn't compliments of the Oncenter.  It was stolen from the show promoter, who takes the time and effort to produce the show and bring it to Syracuse.  Either way I believe that karma will prevent any fish from being caught on those jigs you bought with that $30.  Funny how things work out sometimes....steal $30, and you'll pay $3000 in retribution, give $30 and you receive $3000 in rewards.  That's my experience anyways......

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #147 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Big Jim, Let me know what you find out, If you got the wrong cord I will send you a pic of what I have.

GerryB: They got the right charger in my unit (Phewww!), they sure had a big ol' time trying figure out which one was the correct one!  After looking at the connections, I don't see how they could have given me the wrong one, just a red wire and a black wire with female plugs. The other 2 chargers they had "left over" had a single round plug on the end.
  Hope you get yours straightened out without too much hassle.
BIGJim223

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:54 PM »
BJS Clamman,

Yes, I b***hed at $7 parking, just count the cars there, they've got a monopoly and they know it.  By the way, I don't smoke...  just don't like people gouging.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Otto,

You're right about the karma.  Yes, the guy at the gate made a mistake, but it was an honest mistake, and that should have been met with honesty and returned.   A couple years back, I foolishly put $300 in my pocket while at the Orlando Airport on the way back home.  Well, as luck would have it, I must have pulled out my handkerchief, and unbeknownst to me, the $300 must have hit the floor.  Anyway, the karma you're speaking of, somebody needy must have gotten it, but God repaid me many times over.  I got a monetary award at work and won a large raffle which equaled 10 times what I lost.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.