The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo or Nils power auger  (Read 1235 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Eskimo or Nils power auger
« on: Aug 30, 2011, 10:59 PM »
 Last year I bought a Eskimo Mako and really like it. I had only fished with a hand auger for the last 20 yrs,so is thing rocked! The only problem I am haveing is the weight of the Mako which is 33LBS. I read some threads on the Nils power auger and sounds like everyone loves them. I am trying to drop the weight on my ice fishing set up since we are not allowed to use ATVs or snowmobiles on most of the water here. That means hand dragging and that means 11LBS is alot of weight. Is it worth the extra$$ for the Nils? Thanks for the input!
  Matt

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo or Nils power auger
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Where is "here"?? I'm goin with an 8" nills hand drive this year. Good luck!!! ;D

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2011, 04:54 AM »
I'm in Illinois. I thought about going with a 6" hand auger,but You can convert the power auger to a hand auger so I thought if I got the Nils I would only have one auger that would do both. I do like the Eskimo though. I have no complaints about it.
Matt

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2011, 06:55 AM »
If your lakes do not allow ATVs or snowmachines, will they allow power augers?  Anywho, if it were me and I lived in Illinois, I would simply get a Nils hand auger and save the money and weight.  Unless you have a shoulder injury or some other reason, a Nils hand auger is probably all that you will need down there.  How thick does the ice get at max on average?  I don't typically switch over to power until 12"  - 14" thickness. 
Chris Raymond

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2011, 08:41 PM »
 They allow outboard motors so I guess I just thought the power auger would be okay. I will have to check into that. Around here we can get as much as 14-16" but normally its 8-10". I just thought if I buy the power auger it comes with the handle so I have two augers in one.
  Matt

If your lakes do not allow ATVs or snowmachines, will they allow power augers?  Anywho, if it were me and I lived in Illinois, I would simply get a Nils hand auger and save the money and weight.  Unless you have a shoulder injury or some other reason, a Nils hand auger is probably all that you will need down there.  How thick does the ice get at max on average?  I don't typically switch over to power until 12"  - 14" thickness.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Nils are pretty nice.  Can't comment on using the hand crank though.  Never bothered with it.
Always use the motor.  It's light.  It's fast.  It starts easy.  I usually start fishing when the ice is
at least 12" thick (alright, maybe 10") but I like to put my gear through its paces early to make
sure everything is running well so I don't have surprises when it the ice gets to be 24" thick (and
thicker)!

That and I'm lazy, and like to see that Nils/Tanaka rip through the ice!

MD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.