The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils High Velocity Blades, how often do they need to be replaces/sharpened?  (Read 960 times)

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I see they are VERY expensive in comparison to mora/lazer blades (69.99-79.99 compared to 34.99 - $37.99). How long do they last compared to mora/lazer.

I'd hate to invest in Nils only to have to replace them twice a season or have them shipped out to 307 to resharpen them.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you take care of them (cover them when not in use, don't bang it on the ice, don't drill through/into sand/rocks, don't let anyone else use it!) they should last you many many years.

They are more expensive because the "blade" is the whole cutting head (red in most pictures).  I have a spare but have never needed it in the 3 years I've owned it.  The cutting edge is very very sharp.  Most folks cut themselves at least once on it, then they learn.  I am no exception.  :P

They come in two varieties:  with a power point and without.  The power point is intended for a motor; the non-power point is for hand cranking.  Though both can be used interchangeably.  The power point makes it
just a bit harder to hand crank.  It keeps the bit centered, and helps it start a hole.  If a point breaks off I
heard you can grind off where they were welded on, and use it like a normal bit.  If you were planning on eventually adding a Gator or a Tanaka, then you might consider a power point version.  If you are definitely going arm power, then avoid it.  JMHO.

I have owned a Gator that I used with my Nils.  I now own a Tanaka.  

MD

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't use mine too much but it's been 2 years and it's still sharp enough to cut off my finger with a light touch. There are places where you MUST be careful. I have ruined Mora blades because people drive cars and the sand//slush falls off and gets covered in snow.

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
They last a while if you take care of them, like other have said, avoid sand, rocks and the like, don't bang them on things, and it should last a long time. Oh yeah, I cut myself a couple of times when I first got mine, those things are razor blade sharp.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
Still using the original cutting head, purchased 12/27/03.

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
this may sound kind of crazy but after you cut with them I think you'd pay to have them sharpened every year if you had to.  You won't have to but they are just that nice. I got mine last year and used it all season and it cuts so stinking fast it's unreal. 

In reality, if you take care of it, you'll be good to go for 2,3 or4 years before needing sharpened depending on how many holes you drill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.