The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo Augers  (Read 3560 times)

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Eskimo Augers
« on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:44 AM »
I haven't seen much on the site about eskimo's line of augers, anyone out there have one or some advice?  I was thinking of getting one jsut not sure if I should stick with a Jiffy
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo Augers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:59 PM »
I come from Jiffy country, probably 100 Jiffy's to anything else and that's all my family has ever owned.  Last year I sold my old Jiffy model 30 to buy an Eskimo Stingray because I wanted something lighter.  At first I couldn't get it to start unless I sprayed starting fluid down the spark plug hole, or took it inside and warmed it up.  But after I adjusted the carb, it ALWAYS fires up within two pulls.  I guess it wasn't set up for Northern Canada.  I absolutely love it.  It's light, reliable, uses very little gas, and is relatively cheap.  I was a little nervous about the made in China viper engine, but it's proving to be as good as it gets.  Sure it doesn't cut holes in record speed, but it's only 1.2hp.  I'm sure the larger eskimo's cut faster but are a little heavier which is what I wanted to get away from.  I'm the only one I know up here with an eskimo, but they have my vote.  I would buy another one in a heartbeat, especially with the new Jiffy's having chinese engines and new gearboxes that haven't been proven yet.

Offline bmayer19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:33 AM »
I just bought a stingray and my report is the same as Lifeguard other than mine ran like a top from day one, first pull every time!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:35 AM »
I also am from a jiffy group. I had a jiffy bought new 'in 05 and all of my friends and co workers have jiffys. Ihad the first eskimo out of them all lasy year when I bought the 3.7 hp 10" eskimo. I am still blown away by how well it performes. I have never used an auger where you didnt have to push down on it. My new eskimo will but ice like butter without putting an once of pressure on it. I will never go back to a jiffy and one of my buddies is actually looking into buying one just becasue it blows his jiffy out of the water.

PS- I was also a little learyt of the viper engine. But it has proved its self woth pure speed and power......... Guaranteed start on 2nd pull
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Thansk gang I was leaning towards a eskimo, not sure why but my gut told me it was the right one.

Tight Lines!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:25 AM »
I got a Eskimo Stingray 8" for Christmas.   When I saw it was only 1.2 horse power I wondered if it was going to be enough.   I have had it out 4 times now and drilled about 50 holes with it and Im very happy with it.  28 pounds, plenty of power and starts on the first pull.   I love it.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I was going to ask everyone if the under 2hp augers were sufficient or if I should pay the extra bling for the 2.1hp model

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:17 PM »
I'm very happy with the eskimo 1.2hp.  If you are looking at winning drilling races, get one of the bigger ones, but the stingray is not that much slower, and it is definately lighter, so if it's just for average fishing I'm thinking it would be fine for you.

Offline FUZZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When we go'n jigg'n 'n drink'n?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:11 PM »
I haven't seen much on the site about eskimo's line of augers, anyone out there have one or some advice?  I was thinking of getting one jsut not sure if I should stick with a Jiffy

I recently purchased a Eskimo Z71 SHARK 71CC 10" QUANTUM Z71Q10
with an 8" auger. WOW this is powerfull auger! Tonnes of power, drills fast and isnt too bad to carry. I got it boxing week for $359.00 CAD at Wholesale Sports.      http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store_getEskimo/scresults.asp?category=52

It also has a decompression button on the side of the head for easy starting and the primer button can easily reached with gloves on.
It has two cutting edges and you can definitely feel it cutting all the way down to 25". One push on the primer, one pull with the choke on and it starts at -20 deg C. Im very happy with this purchase.

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:12 AM »
My freind has the Z71(viper engin) with the 10" auger and I have the Strikemaster Mag(tecumsen 2hp) with the 10 1/4 auger.I will put it this way my auger is like a 4 cyclder and his is like a V8.He can cut holes twice as fast as I can and alot less effort.
It's my next buy cause I just bought a Humminbird Ice 45.
BBJ

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:33 AM »
if your looking for a good auger thats reliable you can't go wrong with an eskimo we used to use jiffy but after 3 jiffy's that were junk i switched to the eskimo shark this is my 11th season with it and it still runsd like brand new and starts just about first pull every time,i get alot of people asking about the auger cause they say it sounds more like a chain saw than an auger,also my bro has a SM lazer mag he can cut 2 holes to my one but my auger does start easier good luck on your buy 

Offline BigJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Eskimo Mako here.  Runs fine, starts easily (even in -40 a week ago).  Had to replace the blades on the auger after my third trip out this year but some friends have been using it without me watching and I suspect someone was doing some banging.

Offline bmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then Catchem
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2010, 08:01 PM »
I have a Mako , It can be a bear to start, changed the factory plug and most of the fuel hoses whch were crimped, runs pretty good now. You have to be careful not to flood it, I share it with my brother who is a little rough on equipment

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:13 PM »
I have the Barricuda plus 10" 3hp, it's a bit on the heavy side but I don't see many 10" augers that cut faster and run smoother. I'm hooked. Had it for 4 seasons now and still on the same plug and blades....
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:19 PM »
I love my Maco 8" cuts through thick ice like butter!!!! And starts real easy too!!!

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:44 AM »
I've got an 8" Z51 and I'm happy with it. Cuts great, starts great, idles good, doesn't spill fuel, wanna come try it I'll let you drill a couple hundred holes.... ;D
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:01 AM »
ESKIMOS RULE! :flex: :flex: (Personal oppinion) Have an eskimo that came to the family in the winter of '69/'70 8in., Techumpseh engine. All we do is throw an occasional plug at it and sharpen! Thing runs like a well tuned dirt bike! Thanks dad!
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:45 AM »
I've been using the z71 with a 10" auger for the lsat 4 seasons. It starts on the 2nd pull every time. I bought it to replace an old eskimo model that we had problems with the gearcase and couldn't get replacement parts for it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.