Author Topic: suffix tip up line.  (Read 751 times)

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
suffix tip up line.
« on: Sep 23, 2021, 08:24 AM »
Hey y'all,

Any of you guys who have used this suffix tip up line, which one do you prefer? The coated version or regular version?

Coated line is roughly 6$ more per spool which is why I am asking.

Cheers.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: suffix tip up line.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2021, 09:07 AM »
Hey y'all,

Any of you guys who have used this suffix tip up line, which one do you prefer? The coated version or regular version?

Cheers.

There are a lot of little things that bug me while ice fishing - frozen eyelets, wet pants, deep snow, and the coated tip up line is right up there with all those things. It's too rigid and tends to take the shape of the spool so you get tight spirals in your line. It's more of a pet peeve kind of thing, because it is nice that it doesn't freeze up like the braided stuff. But I won't ever buy coated again...
Da Pack!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2021, 07:20 AM »
100% agree with Junkie on the coated, even on indoor rattle reels it retains coils. That would be OK if you had about a 3 ounce sinker on the bottom to straighten it out, but most of us don’t. I tried the non-coated too and it was absolutely horrible. Hooks go in it’s so easy it’s incredible and the threads that it’s made out of are so thin that you ruined it getting your hooks out. This is a problem that somebody’s going to make a lot of money off when they finally figure it out.

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2021, 10:00 AM »
That coated line is garbage…I tried using it on all my tip up lines and it coiled up really bad

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2021, 11:03 PM »
Hey y'all,

Cheers.

When it comes to tipup line.......I usually get whatever's at Walmart and non coated.......then run a nice leader of Berkley Vanish Flurocarbon on it.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2021, 06:54 AM »
When it comes to tipup line.......I usually get whatever's at Walmart and non coated.......then run a nice leader of Berkley Vanish Flurocarbon on it.

Some years back I got some coated tip up line (by mistake if memory serves) and added to my Polar tip up/ set up  ..that tip up got abandoned  until relined with plain old HT Dacron ..as that seems to be available locally via Walmart. I also still have one of my Polars lined with green colored line not sure which brand ...that one seems to be a knotty macramé mess each and every time I land a fish ..especially Bass with long runs ..not much of a tip up guy now so I have yet to reline that @#$! tip up .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.