Author Topic: Winter Weather for 2023/2024  (Read 16196 times)

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
Re: Winter Weather for 2023/2024
« Reply #120 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:57 AM »
Temps around 20, gonna dip to the low teens today and Monday. The wind has died down, comes and goes in waves.
I have been in my house for 20 years and when we bought I removed the whole exterior front down to the studs. New insulation , thicker ply wood, used some special tape on the doors and windows to cut out drafts. It was howling so bad yesterday I felt the first draft in years, saw the curtain move. Never seen that since the repair.
I can hear what sounds like frozen rain bouncing off the window.

Not planning on going outside unless I have to, no need to try to remove snow now. I'm watching the news and they are broadcasting from the stadium and its clear and sunny--- whhhhhaaaaat!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:17 PM »
High was -2° here today... ice is shaping up quickly locally and tomorrow afternoon will be go time for the first outing of the season.

Looks like we'll be in nice shape around here all week, then back to warm crap next week, so it may be a short IL season.

Offline ryguy80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Jan 14, 2024, 07:47 PM »
High was -2° here today... ice is shaping up quickly locally and tomorrow afternoon will be go time for the first outing of the season.

Looks like we'll be in nice shape around here all week, then back to warm crap next week, so it may be a short IL season.

Geez, I'm debating about going out tomorrow as I have MLK Day off from work (corporate 9 to 5'er)...didn't realize this could be my last time out for the season...lol
YouTube - Wissota Fishing

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Jan 14, 2024, 07:50 PM »
Geez, I'm debating about going out tomorrow as I have MLK Day off from work (corporate 9 to 5'er)...didn't realize this could be my last time out for the season...lol

I'm a desk jockey, too.  ;D

I took tomorrow afternoon and Tuesday off for ice time.  Depending on if things are a train wreck or not when I get back to work Wednesday, I may end up taking Friday off.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #124 on: Jan 15, 2024, 11:32 AM »
Nobody wants to go more than me  BUT!!   I am waiting a bit  I'll take an exploratory ride either Wed or Thurs  should be some fishable ice on a couple small ponds by Thurs or Fri       Be cautious everyone     spud spud spud

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Jan 16, 2024, 06:25 AM »
Last day below 0 in the forecast here. It's looking terrible next week.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Jan 16, 2024, 11:06 PM »
Minus 36, minus 30, minus 24, minus 28 low temps for the past 4 days. Building plenty of ice in northern Wyoming.

Offline ryguy80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Jan 17, 2024, 09:35 AM »
I'm a desk jockey, too.  ;D

I took tomorrow afternoon and Tuesday off for ice time.  Depending on if things are a train wreck or not when I get back to work Wednesday, I may end up taking Friday off.

Did you have any luck? Ended up not going out. Might try to get out Sunday before it starts to warm up again here in the Upper Midwest to close out the month. I don't know how long into February the season will go...open water would not surprise me by end of February with how this winter has gone so far.

After getting out four times last season, I figured that was bottom of the barrel, but Mother Nature said "Hold my Beer".

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Jan 17, 2024, 09:55 AM »
Did you have any luck? Ended up not going out. Might try to get out Sunday before it starts to warm up again here in the Upper Midwest to close out the month. I don't know how long into February the season will go...open water would not surprise me by end of February with how this winter has gone so far.

After getting out four times last season, I figured that was bottom of the barrel, but Mother Nature said "Hold my Beer".

Monday was pretty dead, only caught one dink largemouth and a gill. Fish were around, just super negative.

I fished a deeper hole in the same pond yesterday. Everything was plastered to the bottom, but the bite was better. It wasn't a hot bite, but steady. I ended up catching about a dozen in 3 hours and lost a handful on the way up from terrible hook setting. My hooksets were absolute trash... missed quite a few, and none of the ones I did catch were really on tight.  :blink:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Jan 20, 2024, 12:27 PM »
Thank you for that optimistic outlook!! I've been about to give up on the season but this gives me hope

Offline ryguy80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Jan 21, 2024, 09:10 PM »
I was joking if I can add this ice fishing season as a tax write-off, but I don't think the IRS would be too happy with me.  :)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Jan 30, 2024, 07:12 AM »
Our local ice has all burned off, and it won't be coming back anytime in the near future.  :-\ I got out 8 days, and that may well have been the season.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #133 on: Jan 30, 2024, 11:06 AM »
4-5" is all the ice we have seen this season... I even took my snowdog out a few times... Will be going North to deal with the poor ice  situation.
The good news is we are moving out of a solar maximum and into a solar minimum after this year.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #134 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:51 PM »
65 freaking degrees in Great Falls MT right now. Its h#$! s@#!

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #135 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:10 PM »
Currently 42 degrees in the Lower Clark Fork drainage, Montana. The ice is gettin gone quick and it is full blown ramp season here.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Feb 02, 2024, 04:14 PM »
It is definitely a head scratcher. We had nearly a 100 degree temperature swing, with lows in the -30s during the cold snap to consistent +50 degree days the last few weeks. Frustrating to say the least...I don't recall ever contemplating taking my boat out in February before.

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #137 on: Feb 02, 2024, 10:34 PM »
Last time I remember it bein like this was 2014-2016, the last El Nino.

They make each winter less fun for hard water than any other.

Pyro

I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Feb 04, 2024, 06:18 AM »
I started ice fishing in the mid 70s.  We always were on Lake Erie ice by January or first week in February.  I had no idea how to or have any interest fishing the smaller inland lakes in NY.  We never had to because Mother Erie took care of us.  That changed in the 90s.  The frequency that Erie froze was getting less and less.  The headlines all read "Lake Erie will not freeze this year!"  Fast forward a few years left our only option was the smaller inland lakes.  Quite a learning project compared to fishing Erie.  Now, I can't even get out on the smaller inland lakes safely.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Feb 04, 2024, 06:29 AM »
Still nada for making any kind of ice coming up here.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Feb 04, 2024, 08:46 AM »

Getting close to the end here too

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Feb 05, 2024, 05:49 AM »
Yeah, unless we get an absolute freak cold snap sometime in the next few weeks, it's over until next winter here.  :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.