New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091821 times)

Offline Vasquez ice bandits

• IceShanty Rookie
Not sure about the conditions on white pond, but saw people fishing the middle branch, croton falls and lake Gilead on Saturday.

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went on Sunday ice good use ramp to get on and off

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Guys were on Big Pond yday 3/20
I live back in the woods you see

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Was out yesterday afternoon ..lower Sullivan County...accesed fron Southwest shorine was atop 12 inches of slush/hardpack/black ice . Spud is your friend ..along with common sense.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lol i was out today in my boat who needs ice be safe out there

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Reaching out for info. I fish the Roundout reservoir in the early spring but never tried the Neversink because I don't have a clue where to park and walk in to fish from shore with slip bobbers. I pass the reservoir driving from Liberty on 55 and heading to the Roundout but never did any exploring for good spots around the Neversink. Hoping to get an idea of a few spots with fairly easy walks to the shore from the parking areas.
Wish I was computer savvy enough to post a google picture of the reservoir and have some of you mark an X where I might try.

Thanks

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
After you cross the dam going towards Liberty, make the first left on Aden Rd. You'll find two pull-offs that are marked as recreational boat launching sites, both of those are good shore fishing areas in the spring. Also, if you park right next to the dam, walk down the hill by where the boats are moored and try there, popular spot in the spring as well. Try throwing some spoons as well. Good luck!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
After you cross the dam going towards Liberty, make the first left on Aden Rd. You'll find two pull-offs that are marked as recreational boat launching sites, both of those are good shore fishing areas in the spring. Also, if you park right next to the dam, walk down the hill by where the boats are moored and try there, popular spot in the spring as well. Try throwing some spoons as well. Good luck!

Thanks Tipup28. Looking at the street map heading toward Liberty Aden road is the first RIGHT. I never went down that road but will give it a try.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Time to dust off this Thread

Gamalot sent you a PM

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
Definitely getting cold out there. Anyone score any good black friday deals?
👮👮👮

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Got out on small pond the other day with a buddy in northern Sullivan. Couldn't believe it was 2.5” we proceeded with extreme caution, spud spud spud! . Managed some nice perch and few crappies not sure how it held up to today’s temps. cold nights  ahead this week. Tight lines.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Nice job slabs..👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice job Slabs!

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks all!  Well glad we went when we did, dieing to get back out there. Looks like some colder nights coming up after this rain event on Saturday.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks all!  Well glad we went when we did, dieing to get back out there. Looks like some colder nights coming up after this rain event on Saturday.
It seems reasonable that some places won't take long now. From what I see in general looking and stopping here and there, some of the higher elevations could see a solid 3 or four inches by Christmas.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi peeps!

I’m a noob to hardwater fishing. Just started two seasons ago. Last year, @Pooley taught me a fraction of what he knows. The rest… I gotta learn with time on the ice.

Now I’m hooked!

I’m hoping we get some safe ice soon!
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hi peeps!

I’m a noob to hardwater fishing. Just started two seasons ago. Last year, @Pooley taught me a fraction of what he knows. The rest… I gotta learn with time on the ice.

Now I’m hooked!

I’m hoping we get some safe ice soon!

Welcome Aboard ..should add your location to your profile ..county and state ..helps members to better answer your future inquiries ..First week in January should be the kickoff to the season in our area

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Welcome Aboard ..should add your location to your profile ..county and state ..helps members to better answer your future inquiries ..First week in January should be the kickoff to the season in our area

Ditto on the welcome. I keep seeing overnight temps in the mid 20s and daytime temps in the 40s here in Monticello. What gets built at night gets reduced during the days. If I have to bet I think we can be on safe ice towards the end of January if all goes well and we don't get any warm rains followed by heavy winds. Most of the ponds near me have skim ice in the mornings and are mostly open by the afternoon right now so it could be another late start. Pray for zero and minus temps to be out there before mid January.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular

Profile changed to include my location: Rockland County
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Ditto on the welcome. I keep seeing overnight temps in the mid 20s and daytime temps in the 40s here in Monticello. What gets built at night gets reduced during the days. If I have to bet I think we can be on safe ice towards the end of January if all goes well and we don't get any warm rains followed by heavy winds. Most of the ponds near me have skim ice in the mornings and are mostly open by the afternoon right now so it could be another late start. Pray for zero and minus temps to be out there before mid January.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Yes. Mid January I should be all ready with my gear.

Just started ice fishing a couple seasons ago. I did two derby’s last winter and now I’m completely hooked!

Since I’m new to this strange sport of hardwater fishing, I don’t have the many years of gear accumulation that most of you fine gals and guys have.

Got the following during the off season, mainly to take advantage of sales and such:

7.5 quart Engel Bait cooler (my 13 qt Engel was too big/heavy.)
Clam Rechargeable aerator (I hate changing out batteries)
37 gallon aquarium with included power filter and aerator (because it’s a hike and a hassle to go to my local bait store for minnows. A well balanced fish tank will keep minnows alive and well for a long time)
A few Shimano Sienna 500 reels and rods (I’m a Shimano fan boy)
Suffix 832 Ice Line braid and Suffix fluoro ice leader (goodbye fluoro/mono line twist!)
4 JawJackers and 2 Jigging bases (to complement my current I-Fish Pro’s)
2 Eagle Claw Ice Rod cases (to keep my growing combo collection safe)
Baffin Impact boots (because my Dryshod Artic boots weren’t warm enough last year and I hate cold feet)
ActionTec 5v Battery heated socks, vest, base layer pants and hand muff (because I’m old and don’t like suffering)
Dewalt portable propane heater with fan, LED light, 5v outlets (did I mention I’m a Filipino that’s old and hate being cold)
Nocs Standard Issue 8x25 Waterproof binoculars (because my old eyes can barely see a flag over a hundred feet)
Bulk tank hose adapter (to connect my 5 lb propane tank)
5 Flame King Refillable 1 lb Empty Propane Cylinder Tanks and a Refill Kit (DOT approved for safe transport of 1 lb propane)
Vulture long range 2-way alarm system with 7 sensors just shipped

I’m hoping for a fun season!

Tight lines!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Subway4X4 looks like you have quite the beginnings of great selection of gear. Are you a tip up fisherman and/or jigging angler?..I dont see electronic in your list .

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Or an auger.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Subway4X4 looks like you have quite the beginnings of great selection of gear. Are you a tip up fisherman and/or jigging angler?..I dont see electronic in your list .

Been doing 90% tip up since I started couple years ago. Love chasing those flags! I wanna do more jigging.

I recently started open water bass freshwater kayak fishing about 3 years ago and have   been using the Garmin Livescope that I’ve also setup for ice with a Summit shuttle, pole and bag.  It’s powered by 30 AHr Dakota Lithiums. Also picked up an AquaVue Micro 5.0 camera a couple months ago. So I’m pretty much good to go for electronics.

Or an auger.

Been using a Eskimo 8” Pistol Bit (my first ice fishing related purchase) driven by a Dewalt DCD998 brushless. This is the one with the long ass handle for better control of the torquey drill.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Poole is da man!
« Reply #11484 on: Dec 24, 2021, 11:37 PM »
Ice fishing 101 last year! Show and tell by Chris Poole.

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Man these forecasts are depressing! Looks like some cold night next week but nothing to get to excited about. Might have to travel to get some good ice.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Man these forecasts are depressing! Looks like some cold night next week but nothing to get to excited about. Might have to travel to get some good ice.

YUP, Looks like North and West a few states over from here in NY.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Had some pretty good ice in northern WI just before I left for winter break. Hoping that things will get started around here in the next week or so.

Offline Jigger nut

• IceShanty Rookie
We have some cold nights coming next week. Hopefully no wind would help !

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I see skim ice on some of the deeper lakes, and last week people were on the ice near liberty(dangerous!) Most of kaneunga was skimmed over but the wind took care of that.  There was even a bit on the White lake side just before Christmas. The water temp is right there. Maybe not the deeper lakes, but  Places will close up by next weekend. Good luck to everyone and Happy New Year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.