Author Topic: Snowmobile for ice fishing only - what to buy?  (Read 16433 times)

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowmobile for ice fishing only - what to buy?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2018, 12:57 PM »
IMO the two biggest factors in choosing a snowsled for icefishing are track length and fan cooled engine. Long tracks tend to get through deep snow and the dreaded slush easier. When there is no snow on the ice non-fan cooled, especially liquid cooled, engines are prone to overheat. Air cooled/fan cooled engines are preferable for that reason.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2018, 02:42 PM »
You can stud the track that's on it, add $$$

Putting studs on is prob out of my comfort zone.  Anytime I try something like that for the first time there seems to be some trial and error.  In expensive machines and parts trial and error isn't really an option.

Any insight as to what might be the best for bet for fishing and towing gear?  it seems like a lot of the sleds on craigslist are for trail riding.  Most importantly I'm looking for something reliable.  I don't need it to be fast.  I don't want to have to worry about breaking down, getting stuck in snow/slush, but I'm not one to leave any gear at home so I'd like to have plenty of pulling power.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Long/wide track and reverse are the only way to go when buying a sled.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:13 PM »
I just picked up my new sled which I think is an ideal one for ice fishing.
A 2018 Ski-Doo Tundra LT 550F.
Main options for ice fishing are studs & scratchers.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:41 PM »
I just picked up my new sled which I think is an ideal one for ice fishing.
A 2018 Ski-Doo Tundra LT 550F.
Main options for ice fishing are studs & scratchers.

Nice, great choice.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:48 PM »
I have had a 2001 Polaris Indy for a few years now and picked up a new Arctic Cat Lynx last year. Haven't had it out ice fishing yet but planning a trip soon when the ice thickens up a little bit more.  I have a sled I pull behind it when I am doing a bit of coyote hunting with it.

Offline mkiburz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:57 PM »
buy a snowdog.    3,5000 new no registration needed.  it will fit in a suv    www.snowdog.com

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2018, 04:57 AM »
buy a snowdog.    3,5000 new no registration needed.  it will fit in a suv    www.snowdog.com
That may work in some situations but would almost be useless in others compared to a snowmobile.
I sure wouldn't want to make a 15 mile run on one of those.
If using groomed snowmobile trails to get to your fishing spot many places you will be prohibited from using the trails.
As for "no registration needed" that may vary from place to place.
Can't see it being too good in the slush beds we get on the lakes at times or breaking a trail through 2 feet of fresh snow.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Wow! Another zombie thread springs to life... 3 years.

Thanks for reminding me on the OP. Haven't talked with him for a while, he's a pretty seasonal guy.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

luv2fish2

« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:52 AM »
What's your thoughts on this ? 1992 Indy trail two up with reverse and electric start. Grip and thumb warmers. 1755 miles.
Anyone opinions or experience with this sled?
good sled as i spoke of in earlier posts dead nut reliable , fan cooled and the goodies (reverse and estart ) at a decent price

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:48 AM »
I'm also in the market for a sled.  I've found a few on craigslist but I really dont know up from down when it comes to these machines or really anything mechanical.

Need opinions on the following:
1995 Polaris Indy Special 600 XLT, fox shocks all around, ripsaw track (no studs) ~3200 miles $895
2000 Skidoo Formula Z 700 ~2500 miles, lever reverse, no electric start, studded track $1200
2001 Skidoo Formula Deluxe 600 ~2500 miles, electric start, lever reverse, studded track $1200
2002 Polaris 600 XC SP ~1100 miles, not many details posted but has a studded track, looks brand new in the pics $1900

I'd get the 1995 indy if it had a studded track but around here we don't always have a ton of snow so I feel like studs are necessary.  No clue how much a new studded track would cost

You can stud the track yourself.  I did it on my old Yamaha Phazer after visiting the place I used to work on it and getting their recommendation on the number of studs needed.  Turned out to be less than I anticipated and took a couple of hours to do the job.  Not that difficult at all.  If you should decide to dyi, I recommend getting the cutting tool used to drill the holes in the track.  I sold the Phazer a month ago and immediately had sellers remorse and started looking to replace it.  My wife thinks I'm nuts.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2018, 09:23 AM »
  My wife thinks I'm nuts.

Aren't we all?  :whistle:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2018, 09:23 AM »
Love my 01 Panther 440 fan cooled 2up.  Fan cooled 2up is the way to go for ice only.

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2018, 07:46 AM »
just picked up my panther a few weeks ago

Offline SnowPlane22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:49 PM »
For your price range I would try to find a early to mid 90's Polaris Indy 500 or XLT. After getting back into snowmobiling for the first time in 15 years I even find myself keeping an eye open for one again.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:51 PM »
polaris

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:16 AM »
I know the popular recommendation is to buy fan cooled for ice fishing due to overheating problems.  I know nothing about snowmobiles but will be looking into one next year for ice fishing.  I was wondering, if one were to have a liquid cooled sled on bare ice, how far would you have to travel before it would start to overheat?  Where I fish, 5 miles is about the furthest I go at once.

Thanks guys

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:36 AM »
I know the popular recommendation is to buy fan cooled for ice fishing due to overheating problems.  I know nothing about snowmobiles but will be looking into one next year for ice fishing.  I was wondering, if one were to have a liquid cooled sled on bare ice, how far would you have to travel before it would start to overheat?  Where I fish, 5 miles is about the furthest I go at once.

Thanks guys
You should be fine with some scratchers and maybe a studded track (things you should consider anyway if you plan to run glare ice, liquid or fan cooled). I run my indy 500 20-30 miles each way on glare ice some days and have never overheated. I have ice scratchers and a studded track that help kick up ice chips and snow dust and that seems to be enough even when it's close to freezing. I've seen other sleds overheat in the same conditions without the studs/scratchers, but for a 5 mile max run I would think you have nothing to worry about. Most sleds have a light that will come on when it starts to overheat. If it happens, just stop and let it cool down.

luv2fish2

« Reply #48 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:30 AM »
depends on the sled some overheat alot easier than others and they also have heat exchangers in diff places depending on sled some are in the back end of  tunnel some are under running boards and some are up by the motor in the tunnel  triples over heat very easy so do some brands

Offline SnowPlane22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:57 PM »
Scratchers and studs you should be in pretty good shape. If she starts to get hot just get some snow and toss it on the tunnel or running boards, wherever the heat exchanger happens to be.

I took my mountain sled out last weekend on a new lake, first time I had been on a lake that had the snow blown off of it in quite a long time. Felt like I was trying to drive a sprint car out there! Man when I get my dedicated ice sled next fall studs are going to be a definite MUST!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Since you are in Wisconsin, I would look for a sled that has a studded track. I remember that the lakes are frequently icy. The skis should have good carbides so you can steer. You don't need to go fast, so I would get one of the 550 2 cylinder/2 stroke air cooled sleds. Look on Craigslist for one that has been well maintained. Clean, in a nice garage, older guy, getting out of sledding. If you find that, consider electric start and reverse a bonus (reverse might be more important depending on your trailer)
If you go too old, you might have more issues with parts, but my new sled is a '98, and my old one is a '91, and they both work well enough. I have looked at sleds back there, lots more selection than out west here. You should have plenty to choose from.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.