Author Topic: Cascade 2019  (Read 6720 times)

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
Re: Cascade 2019
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:46 PM »
Boulder is just as you come into Donnelly from the South and on the same side of the road. I have an F-350 crew cab with a 20ft. enclosed trailer and I did get it turned around the first afternoon we got there after some jockeying around and had it pointed out for the first mornings run,  when we came in the first evening from fishing there were several cars and a truck in front of their rooms, no way I could have turned it around then, so from then on it was back out every morning. Thought I would let you know maybe it will save somebody some disappointment. They guy named Ron who tends the place when Doreen the owner is not there, which seems to be most of the time, told me when I booked the room earlier they had plenty of room to turn a rig like mine around... not so... also told me that the kitchen had a range in it another not so, they also said I couldn't get my deposit back cause I was booked there from the 11th-15th of Feb. I finally got in touch with the owner and told them I didn't want to keep backing out onto the highway in the mornings and that I wanted to cancel, they finally credited my card back the deposit. Just letting you guys know to beware when you book here. Wish I would have known ahead of time. I will be renting a house next year if we go back up.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:11 AM »
I will be renting a house next year if we go back up.

Exactly what I did last year. We have to many trucks and trailers to deal with and a small parking area isnt going to cut it. I have a contact up there that does rentals of all sorts. I will call him today and make sure its still a good number and PM you the info Gale for next time. Definitley worth the time making the call and see what he can do for you. His office is in Donnelly
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Definitely a delimma Pete.  Cost vs. comfort.  Long Valley closer to Poison Creek than Birch Glen so less driving (40 mile less round trip).  Comfort at LV very poor from most reports (poor trailer parking & low quality rooms).  Boulder Creek Inn in Donnelly has much better parking and from appearances, better quality rooms, but the cost is about $115 a night for a kitchenette (needed to clean fish in the room) compared to $85 at LV.  Both have a military or senior discount of 10%.  Birch Glen is still a bargin at $70 a night for a single queen room and they have excellent fish cleaning facilities.  Down side is the longer drive.  I'm leaning towards canceling my reservation at LV after all the negative reports and just booking at Birch Glen again.  The $35 lower cost per day at BG will more than cover the gas cost of the extra 40 mile drive each day.

I also took a look at Tamarack Resort lodging facilities.  They have a couple of cabins with 2 or 3 beds that are very reasonable when split 3 or 4 ways.  A 2 bedroom with queen sofa (sleeps 3) is only 68 a night per person (based on 5 night rental Sun thru Fri) for a very nice little house with all the amenities.  The down side is it would probably have to booked 6 or more months in advance to get your dates and no way to change dates at the last minute due to weather.

For us retirees, we can just wait until we want to go, go during the week (Sunday thru Friday) and make reservations at Birch Glen a day or two in advance with a high probability that the rooms will be available.  I'm planning on that approach for next year along with Kim, Kay, and Gary.  See you up there next week on Wednesday.  Drive safe.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Probably wont be there next week Bob thinking of moving toward the end of Feb. May head over to Mackay for a few days and try for some Kokanee. The cost at Boulder Creek is a little higher but with the discount and splitting it 2 ways with my Buddy Tom and fixing your own meals and not having to drive from Cascade I think I save a few bucks.

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Thanks for the help Muskyon46.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Probably wont be there next week Bob thinking of moving toward the end of Feb. May head over to Mackay for a few days and try for some Kokanee. The cost at Boulder Creek is a little higher but with the discount and splitting it 2 ways with my Buddy Tom and fixing your own meals and not having to drive from Cascade I think I save a few bucks.
Yeah; I'm looking at it from a solo aspect.  Would be nice to split costs with somebody but none of my normal fishing group that I'd be willing to share a room with are interested in that trip.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:44 AM »
I just pulled up the long range forecast for Cascade and it does NOT look good.  The forecast is for snowing every day for 13 days of the 15 day outlook.  I'm thinking of not going at all now.  Riding my snowmobile for 10 to 15 miles a day and then fishing, all in snowing conditions, is not my idea of fun.  Yes I have a tent and can get out of the downfall, but everything still gets covered with white stuff that in turn leaves everything it touches wet.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Thanks for the information guys I will check Boulder out for next time. My group is too small to rent a house so we will make Long Valley work .When we stayed last year we found it served our needs. Since we don’t plan on any hard core cooking ,the kitchenette (I use this term loosely for this place ) will work. I also have a F350 long bed with a 22 ft enclosed trailer. So I  will plan on renting a space at the park with the other campers as I did last year. So parking shouldn’t be a problem. This time frame is the only one that will work for us so rain , sleet ,snow ,or shine we plan to be there. Hope others make it too !

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Thanks for the help Muskyon46.

Check your inbox, No problem  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:13 PM »
I am heading to IF on the 18th. Heading to the lake the next morning. Just letting you guys know my plan in case anyone else wants to join me. I will be fishing out of Poison Creek and probably just camping on the ice. Meeting up with Gale and uncle Jim on Thursday. Good luck on the lake this weekend Gale!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:21 PM »
Good luck guys and drive safe. Im heading to do some perchin a little closer to home Friday.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Good luck boys be safe.

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:58 PM »
Musky Where are you headed Friday if you don't mind me asking?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:02 AM »
So many close places to go this year where the perchin has been decent (echo & rockport). Check your inbox
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:44 PM »
I am heading to IF on the 18th. Heading to the lake the next morning. Just letting you guys know my plan in case anyone else wants to join me. I will be fishing out of Poison Creek and probably just camping on the ice. Meeting up with Gale and uncle Jim on Thursday. Good luck on the lake this weekend Gale!
Thanks Joe ! 26 below here this am !

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:40 AM »
The R&C board for Idaho has some reports of the snow getting deeper and now possibly a good layer of slush under it so what mode of transport you take might make or break the trip. I would highly suggest sleds. I know Joes is awaiting his arrival in Idaho falls. With any luck the snow/slush will settle and refreeze this week before you guys head up  :bow: :bow: :bow: :-\
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:03 PM »
The R&C board for Idaho has some reports of the snow getting deeper and now possibly a good layer of slush under it so what mode of transport you take might make or break the trip. I would highly suggest sleds. I know Joes is awaiting his arrival in Idaho falls. With any luck the snow/slush will settle and refreeze this week before you guys head up  :bow: :bow: :bow: :-\
Yes it doesn’t sound like a wheeler will do, I have a sled lined up but not sure that will do either. Joe is planning to get there early and will let us know what to expect or if another time would be better.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Had a great time with Hutbomber this week! Left early because my bucket was full and a storm was coming! I definitely missed seeing the guys that couldn’t be there this year! Already wanting to go back there. Here’s a short clip of the first day. Hope you enjoy!
https://youtu.be/iv5m369II2s

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Great video again Joe. Way more snow than last year that's for sure. Crazy. We'll be back up next year for sure.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 24, 2019, 11:29 AM »
Looks like day one treated you well! Those are some nice perch for sure. Thanks for some footage of those little green and yellow striped  pigs!!!!!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 24, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Great video again Joe. Way more snow than last year that's for sure. Crazy. We'll be back up next year for sure.
Thanks buddy. We did miss you guys this trip, but somebody had to stay at the Gorge and look after the Macs. I enjoyed how smooth it was on the lake with all of the snow. Nice riding...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:00 PM »
Looks like day one treated you well! Those are some nice perch for sure. Thanks for some footage of those little green and yellow striped  pigs!!!!!!
They’re definitely a fun fish to target! I appreciate your good feedback and should have day two uploaded in the morning. The bite was super light, but we dialed them in on the second day.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #52 on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:15 PM »
Glad you had a great trip up there we are planning on going next year for sure. Also was a good video

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:45 PM »
Glad you had a great trip up there we are planning on going next year for sure. Also was a good video
Thanks buddy! I was missing the crew the whole time. Definitely will plan another trip next year with the boys. I might sneak over one more time this year if the ice holds up.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 24, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Had a great time with Hutbomber this week! Left early because my bucket was full and a storm was coming! I definitely missed seeing the guys that couldn’t be there this year! Already wanting to go back there. Here’s a short clip of the first day. Hope you enjoy!
https://youtu.be/iv5m369II2s
Sounds like a great trip, Joe! Looking forward to the video from day two. I need to make it over there one day.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 24, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Sounds like a great trip, Joe! Looking forward to the video from day two. I need to make it over there one day.
Thanks Glen! Let me know how you do on BB tomorrow. Good luck!

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 24, 2019, 06:15 PM »
I'm hoping the ice will hold until the end of March, would like to make a return trip this year.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 24, 2019, 06:39 PM »
I'm hoping the ice will hold until the end of March, would like to make a return trip this year.
I am hoping for the same. Thinking about sneaking in another trip! Might have to bring the wife since I have already played most of my cards as far as fishing trips ar concerned.

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:56 PM »
Had a blast with Joe, here is a couple pictures and a couple of the end  ;)

I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 24, 2019, 11:59 PM »
Good stuff Dewey! Here’s the video of day number two.
https://youtu.be/YsMCcWkiDTI

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.