Author Topic: catfish thru the ice  (Read 2276 times)

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
catfish thru the ice
« on: Feb 04, 2007, 12:07 PM »
I once saw a TV show where they were catching cats through the ice. Has anyone on here done this? What NJ lake is good for this? I guess bacon or blood bait right on ther bottom is the strategy?

Offline sofa king cool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TIP-UP!!!!
Re: catfish thru the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2007, 12:49 PM »
I caught a bullhead though the ice a long time ago.  Saw a couple caught too.  Minnows
uhhh..huh huh huh..he said crappie

Offline NickN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2007, 01:23 PM »
I have never targeted them but, I lucked into a 4 pounder through the ice on a jig and meal worm a couple years ago at Furnace.  If I am not mistaken they get some pretty big ones at Hopatcong.  I believe in the Chestnut Point area.

Offline rowboater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Webguy has some nice videos (under IceShanty Pictures/ Ice Shanty videos) of some of those catfish coming up thru the ice at Lake Hopatcong.

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2007, 03:51 PM »
I've gotten 1 or 2 through the ice in the last couple of years. I also got an eel once  :o, I guees they will still bite just far and few between.

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline ecsteelheader

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "LIFE IS SHORT,FISH HARD!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:07 PM »
The lake i live on produced some big cats in 2005-06..One guy caught a 17 1/2 lber and few 10+lbers..They were using dead shiners med-big size..Big bait = Big Fish.

Right now there letting water out so ,theres ice ,but the question is how much open space between the water and ice...Stinks...
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2007, 12:52 PM »
Are you trying to specifically target catfish through the ice? Most people catch them on accident. In the winter bullheads will burry themselves in the muddy bottom of the lake at varying depths trough out the lake, mostly in and along the weed lines. The channel cats will seek out the deepest area within a lake and often times they will congregate together. So if you catch one, the others will be close by. As for baits, I like to use a chuck of oily fish, such as fresh mackerel, suspending it 6 inches from the bottom. Suspending it helps disperse the scent in a larger area and every half hour or so lift the bait 1 foot and drop it back down. Catfish also have a milder taste and firmer texture when caught in the winter compared other times of the year.  :tipup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2007, 04:21 PM »
I used to target them at LH over the deeper water.  Watch the Vex to see where they hang in the water column and jig in their face.  The'll wack it eventually.  They run on average 8-11lb,   lots of fun   ;D

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:51 AM »
I think I have only caught 1 catfish in 20 yrs of icefishing.  Figured that was just a freak occurance. 

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2007, 07:02 PM »
my friend lost one in the hole today at oxford
looked to be 4-5 # :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.