Author Topic: --- SLED MODS ---  (Read 341947 times)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: --- SLED MODS ---
« Reply #330 on: Dec 26, 2016, 08:39 PM »
As to water skis or snow skis. My short experiments so far. Seem to fly in the face of logic. On slick ice no big difference obviously anything will pull on bare ice. But in the brief snow we had here in Ohio. Identical sled ( Jetsled ). Installed snow skis first loaded modestly and towed around in back yard worked ok . Removed snow skis and installed water skis.

The water skis did not sink as deeply in the snow as the snow skis. Could see the difference with naked eye without having to measure.
The towing effort was less with the water skis. Not drastic but noticeable.

It  convinced me to use the water skis on both of my sleds. One with jetsled for run and gun fishing light load. The other a heavier Otter sled when pop up shelter is going to be needed . Resulting in heavier load.

Next experiment is to try the push option as suggested by several icers. Mounting water skis a little more rearward. And pushing along kinda like using like the scooters kids used to use. Seen on a video here . Guy said he could scoot along about 8-10MPH. Which would be great in Ohio as we are not allowed motor vehicles of any type on the ice.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #331 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:18 AM »
try your experiment from the back yard on dry pavement, some day you will encounter dry pavement in a parking lot and have to pull your sled to the ice. You might change your mind.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #332 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Some great ideas here. Geo

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #333 on: Feb 08, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Nice sled mods folks..... but..... I don't see the sleds loaded for actual fishing!!!  Where do you put:
Your power auger?
Your (1 or 2) buckets?
Your Hub shelter?
Your heater?
Your rods/reels/tackle.?
Your throwable safety line?
Your BBQ?
Your cooler with food, drinks??

Yes.... I do carry all that crap!!!  You would laugh to see my overloaded Jet Sled !!!

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #334 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:29 AM »
Nice sled mods folks..... but..... I don't see the sleds loaded for actual fishing!!!  Where do you put:
Your power auger?
Your (1 or 2) buckets?
Your Hub shelter?
Your heater?
Your rods/reels/tackle.?
Your BBQ?
Yes.... I do carry all that crap!!!  You would laugh to see my overloaded Jet Sled !!!

I want to see you take all of that stuff out on the ice after you get hit with the storm that is coming to long island.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #335 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:51 AM »
Your power auger?
Your (1 or 2) buckets?
Your Hub shelter?
Your heater?
Your rods/reels/tackle.?
Your BBQ?

I leave most of that stuff on the shelves at the store. I don't use a power auger, BBQ, heater, and I rarely bring food. I'd rather fish than haul a bunch of gear. But if that makes fishing more enjoyable for you, go for it!
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline collinthomp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #336 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:08 PM »

[URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/collinthomp/media/IMG_2093_zpsmq5uyche.jpg.html]

Built everything so I don't have to pick anything up when I'm ready to move. Just have to stand up and pull. Put the tip down style holder on front for a 2nd line in the water and have a couple deck screws I can run through the skis with my drill for anchors if I need to hold it down. Radio can be swapped out for the heater if needed and the auger fits on with the wind screen but I forgot to put it back for the pics.

Offline SlimShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #337 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:04 AM »
^---I really like that setup.  I might do something like that over the summer.

Online rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #338 on: Jul 08, 2017, 12:43 PM »
looks like this thread needs a do over. Half of the photos are not available

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #339 on: Jul 08, 2017, 01:22 PM »
I was wondering when someone would do that. Good job now I'll wait for the flipover version can't wait to see that

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #340 on: Aug 25, 2017, 01:32 PM »
looks like this thread needs a do over. Half of the photos are not available

In case you didn't know.....all past pictures posted thru Photobucket have been deleted by Photobucket.  If one wants to continue using it for posting pictures, the cost went from free to $400.00 a year.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #341 on: Aug 25, 2017, 05:49 PM »
So do we erase old and start over?  or do we start over finding our posts in the millions of lost pictures?? Which is a big pain in the arse..  to bad there is no way to leave post counts alone etc.. erase all data and start over cause pictures are gone.. it would save the storage space for the form if you know what I mean by that??  and repost what we can after the data is gone..  if you think about it it's posting twice the data and the site is paying store it mainly ice shanty and it's members.. that chip in ..   it up to every one else if they want to do this?? cause I know a picture is worth a thousand words ... is erasing the info even a idea or worth it??

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #342 on: Aug 29, 2017, 08:02 AM »
So do we erase old and start over?  or do we start over finding our posts in the millions of lost pictures?? Which is a big pain in the arse..  to bad there is no way to leave post counts alone etc.. erase all data and start over cause pictures are gone.. it would save the storage space for the form if you know what I mean by that??  and repost what we can after the data is gone..  if you think about it it's posting twice the data and the site is paying store it mainly ice shanty and it's members.. that chip in ..   it up to every one else if they want to do this?? cause I know a picture is worth a thousand words ... is erasing the info even a idea or worth it??

For me, not being able to find a similar site as Photobucket or Picasa (also shut down) that will allow pictures to be downloaded from a camera and then stored for future use is a pretty big deal.  I have heard that places like imgur or shutterbug stores pics but unless I am greatly mistaken they do not have the downloading from a camera capability.  They just store pictures already downloaded from somewhere else.  If I am wrong, perhaps someone who knows how to download pics from a camera (NOT a cell phone camera) from either of those sites could explain how to do so as I am more than a little computer illiterate. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #343 on: Aug 29, 2017, 08:30 PM »
DLB,
Yes, for Imgur you have to move the pictures first to your computer, then you can drag them into Imgur super easy. I just have a folder on my computer desktop labeled Fishing Pictures and I put all my camera pictures there. Then just drag to Imgur. I like this because then it also keeps all my photos on my computer in case something like the Photobucket fiasco happens, I still have them all.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #344 on: Sep 26, 2017, 05:39 PM »
I am using Flickr, seems to be the same kind of features that photobucket had, although the urls to embed links must be modified with something like notepad. I do like that I can choose the image size at the time I am copying the url link, hopefully it sticks around and does not begin charging a fee to use it.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #345 on: Nov 28, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Did some mods. lights, power strip, shoe rack ( used for small stuff ) cup holder,

power strip w/ voltage meter, usb, and cigg plug,

Light strips (2)  Wally world auto section special.

Power center ( switches for lights, fan, flasher and camera )  and the all important  cup holder ect.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #346 on: Nov 28, 2017, 01:17 PM »
 Looks good Geo! Hope to see you out on the ice this winter.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #347 on: Nov 28, 2017, 04:51 PM »
Looks good Geo! Hope to see you out on the ice this winter.
Hey Dave, Maybe on the back of Chen Lk.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #348 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:03 AM »
I think we need to delete all these pages and start over with Postimages. Since PhotoBucket screwed everyone.
<===Lefty===

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #349 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:50 AM »
i agree Lefty

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #350 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I think we need to delete all these pages and start over with Postimages. Since PhotoBucket screwed everyone.

I though that too but there ceartin post on hear from a few passed away family members..  that were put up by the person who passed away..  last I remember they were trying to save them for that very reason..  at that I would disagree with deleating and starting over.. unless some how they can save them type of post and and start back st zero... but then you lose the post counts etc..

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #351 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:34 PM »

I though that too but there ceartin post on hear from a few passed away family members..  that were put up by the person who passed away..  last I remember they were trying to save them for that very reason..  at that I would disagree with deleating and starting over.. unless some how they can save them type of post and and start back st zero... but then you lose the post counts etc..
Thanks for letting me know that. In that case I surely wouldn't want to have them deleted. Never crossed my mind. 

OK PEOPLE Lets post up your Sled mods you still have on your PC's.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #352 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Good catch chilly & crew, active guys will repost.

Offline xxgg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #353 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Using Flickr is excellent as well.  It is free and very easy to link photos.  Oh and you get 1TB worth for free.

Offline MontanaFlyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #354 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:12 PM »
Not much of a mod, but the molded in spots for cargo dividers in the Pelican Sport sleds work well for building a gear organizer.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #355 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Ditched the Sled today.  Cut a piece of an old Truck bed liner 35" Wide x 36" long to fit in the back of my New fishing vehicle a 1999 Subaru Outback. It fits in the back and I have an old Rubber maid tote screwed to it that holds my 2 Heavy Swivel chairs and my Buddy Heater Portable in it. Then I have a bucket with Rod holders and other stuff in it and my rod bag,Nero Mini Ridgid Drill and my tent and Smitty sled in there. I did this so I could carry 3 people. Only one side of the rear seat folded down allows my Smitty Sled and tent to go in. I have everything in there except my lunch and bait. The Truck bed liner works so I can strap from back right to front left and Back Left to front Right. It straps where the Liner can't move forward or back nor side to side.  Beats trying to put my old Cabela's sled in the back and having to fold down both back seats.
<===Lefty===

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #356 on: Mar 19, 2018, 07:30 AM »
Older build of mine. Milk crate holds 20lb propane tank for the heater and balances the weight of the pop up. Just upgraded to a big boy auger so I am going to need to redesign a bit to fit everything.

Ultimately plan to put the whole thing on skis, but haven't had time to work on that part.

Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #357 on: Nov 03, 2018, 05:16 AM »
Nothing major but I did remove the bench seat in my Shappell fx50 and replaced it with one of those 3-legged canvas chairs w/backrest:

1) Allows more space for gear when traveling
2) Sits up a little higher and more comfortable
3) I do a lot of hole hopping so don't sit much anyway...just a rest now and then.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #358 on: Nov 03, 2018, 07:52 AM »
that bench seat didn't weigh much, did it?

photobucket returned our pics, for now. maybe they got in trouble some how and had to.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #359 on: Nov 03, 2018, 07:58 AM »
that bench seat didn't weigh much, did it?
photobucket returned our pics, for now. maybe they got in trouble some how and had to.

No. Near the same weight as the chair I would guess. It's one of those small ones with the triangle seats.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.