Author Topic: Your best tip  (Read 93054 times)

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Your best tip
« Reply #150 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Drill baby, drill.  If you've not marked a fish in ten minutes or caught in fifteen, move.  Mobility is key around here. 

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:17 PM »
take someone fishing, preferably someone who hasn't fished before or who hasn't fished alot.  have a good time outdoors, off the couch, away from the TV and with the cell phone shut off.  enjoy your time together no matter if you catch fish or not.  maybe, they have a son, daughter, wife who will go also on a nice day.  make the outing enjoyable for all.  lots of snacks, hot coco, hotdogs or sumores cooked over charcoal in a coffee can, ice skating or sledding if fishing is slow.  make them want to do it again. maybe, with more fish the next time. don't be negative about anything. leave when they get bored, no matter the time of day or how long you've been out (give them at least an hour! ! ! ! ).     
take pictures = ''remember the time we'' . . . . . . . .

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:08 PM »
if you plan on drilling more than one hole, clean the first one off and drop a line while you are drilling the others...  I caught my second biggest trout ever by doing this, i was drilling a third hole about 50 ft away from the first and looked over to see nothing but the butt end of my pole stickin up, ran over and landed a 24 inch hog of a rainbow...  be sure to stake down the jigger or tie the pole to your bucket before you walk away!  ::)

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #153 on: Feb 18, 2011, 11:56 AM »
fish the complete water column,i start just under the ice and fish down
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
rat
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #154 on: Mar 02, 2011, 04:39 PM »
drop a deuce BEFORE you go ice fishing.

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Learn to use the graph instead of the flasher on the x-67........you will never go back.  ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #156 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Learn to use the graph instead of the flasher on the x-67........you will never go back.  ;D

Agreed, never been dizzy from looking at the graph/chart ~ but those whirly-wheel-thingies, yikes.   :sick:

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
« Reply #157 on: Mar 19, 2011, 08:19 AM »
Keep your bait warm. Live squiming maggots work better than frozen stiff boogers.
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #158 on: Mar 21, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Keep your bait warm. Live squiming maggots work better than frozen stiff boogers.

and if you tell your buddy that its normal to thaw them out in his mouth he WILL get you back.... but its funny to see someone with a lip full of waxworms like a dip of chew lol

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Oct 15, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Always fish with more than one other person. Have warm food and drinks. And a lil thing i picked up on: make a grid out of your tipups across a point or at every 10 feet of water. when fishing with two other freinds we fish a 5 by five grid everyone shud have at least 1 tipup in each row. try to take the outside holes and the deeper holes or shorter the ones in the middle never have as many fish. we went to attitash and had a good birthday we had tipups evrey 5 seconds and landed 5 pickeral over 22 inches as well as 21 perch

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #160 on: Oct 16, 2011, 07:53 AM »
You guys are very lucky you can use so many tip-ups. I can use one if I have a rod/reel setup or 2 if that is all I am using. The tip-up counts as a second rod on our second rod stamp.

My best tip: Don't eat Citrus the day of or night before fishing. If you do don't touch your bait.
<===Lefty===

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #161 on: Oct 18, 2011, 07:48 AM »
buy a flasher and know how to use it.

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #162 on: Oct 18, 2011, 07:59 AM »
drop a deuce BEFORE you go ice fishing.

:clap:  :thumbsup:

surflizard

« Reply #163 on: Oct 18, 2011, 08:08 AM »
Always bring an ice chisel with you to check the ice, the one time you don't, might be your last !

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Oct 18, 2011, 10:28 AM »
You can't catch'em on the couch! ;)

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #165 on: Nov 01, 2011, 04:32 AM »
Apparently you have a computer, and on this site you have access to literally thousands of tactics and info. Take the time to research, practice tying knots and even use your tub to see how your jigs work below the ice...all in the comfort of your home before before battling mother nature!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #166 on: Nov 01, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Wow, some really great tips here.....but dont worry about remembering all of them, sometimes you have to learn by doing.  Just stay warm, dry and hydrated, and you can sit in 'class' much longer.  Ice fishing is a great sport.  Learn to respect everything about it, the ice, the quarry, fellow fisherman, the environment, and soon you will be adding your own tips to the board.....

Offline Soupy944

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:45 PM »
don't pet a burning dog.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #168 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:31 PM »
i like to tie, with a loop knot, a small marrakoos about 10-12 inches above a light teardrop or 1 of my homemade spoons tipped with either sikes, mousies, or waxworms. i watch alot of fish on my sonar come to the bigger jig and look then raise up and eat fast!!!! but make sure the lower jig is at least a little heavier to prevent tangles on the drop down...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #169 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Always take the opportunity to fish when you can and keep your mind open to new things.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #170 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:52 AM »
Always take the opportunity to fish when you can and keep your mind open to new things.

Take every opportunity to fish when you can is great advice! Keep your mind open to new things, these days there are things I just can't wrap my mind around...

With that said, Take a Kid Fishing!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #171 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Make a list and review it before each trip. I usually check mine while having my coffee. Some of the things I might not take every trip, like my underwater camera or Pak Shak. However, you won't get to the lake and find you left your spikes and waxies in the basement.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #172 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Make sure you have plenty of ice in your cooler, you do not want your drinks to get warm.  ;D

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:19 PM »
Make sure you have plenty of ice in your cooler, you do not want your drinks to get warm.  ;D

X2!!!!!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #174 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:56 AM »
I think the best tip I have is: GET OUT THERE AND FISH.
<===Lefty===

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #175 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Find a way to be comfortable. (warm clothes, mits, seat etc.) Find out what "style" of fishing you like. (run and gun, stay and wait, or permy shanty) Then just do what you enjoy!
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline siyakadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:17 PM »
If you want to catch fish, set a specific time to be home for datenite w the wife.  Never fails the action gets hot when you gotta get home!  Bring a duffle bag full of extra gloves for your kids, they need a new pair every 10 mins! 

And don't litter! It pisses me off, propane bottles don't biodegrade! ??? ;)

Offline bigyam627

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:20 PM »
No bannana's on the ice!!! ;)
"Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for the once bitten, there is no cure."

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:21 AM »
If you want to catch fish, set a specific time to be home for datenite w the wife.  Never fails the action gets hot when you gotta get home!  Bring a duffle bag full of extra gloves for your kids, they need a new pair every 10 mins! 

And don't litter! It pisses me off, propane bottles don't biodegrade! ??? ;)

i think thats a great tip... i like to take my 6 year old brother out every time momma brings him up to visit... and he always asks me why people litter and i just tell him not everyone is as smart as you bud.. and i give him .25 c for every piece of trash he picks up.. but one day he decided my sunflower seed shells were litter and wanted like a 47.50 dollar pay out  ;)

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #179 on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:23 AM »
LOL. Smart kid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.