Author Topic: South Dakota Northern  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Remsen medic

• IceShanty Rookie
South Dakota Northern
« on: Feb 06, 2017, 07:41 PM »
Hi guys, i'm taking my son and nephew out around Dry 2 area this weekend to chase some northerns. I have not targeted northern before thru the ice so if you guys have any pointers I would love to here them. Don't need the spots just the info on bait, depth, weeds, etc. I have the tip ups and the equipment. Thanks a bunch the kids are going to have a blast. :tipup:

Offline Bigpauly03

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: South Dakota Northern
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2017, 10:16 PM »
I was on Poinsett this weekend and we were watching Pike on the camera off and on throughout the day.  We had minnows on bobbers and they didn't seem too interested.  However, I did fight and land a 10lb Pike our last morning there that took a minnow. It was a lot of fun fighting that big boy.  I would still suggest putting out tip ups and bobbers with minnows.  You may want to try jigging with rip n raps and shad raps as well.  Good luck!

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:07 AM »
run shiners on some tip ups, & 6"-8" chubs on others.  Make sure some are high off the bottom.  not much for weeds, but you can find the edge of submerged cattails pretty easy.  I highly suggest using quick strike rigs or at least have a stinger treble in the tail of the bigger baits.  downsize your baits a little at sundown and do some jigging as well to pop some walleyes.

Offline Poutman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Raised by badgers
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2017, 04:56 PM »
Great advice by tornadochaser60.

Offline Remsen medic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Thanks guys that is a huge help sounds like it might get a little wet on saturday, guess we will have to see what happens. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.