Author Topic: Trip to south dakota  (Read 1850 times)

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trip to south dakota
« on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:28 AM »
Was thinking of bringing my 11 year old son on a ice fishing adventure in the Waubay area in a couple weeks for 2 or3 days.  I took him to nebraska a couple weeks ago and he caught a lot of crappie and bluegill and had a absolute blast.  We are wanting to come up and target yellow perch, crappie, and maybe walleye.  Have all the gear we would need to fish smaller areas due to not owning a  atv or snowmobile and having to manually haul the gear.  Would it be possible to make this trip without a guide and find places to fish? Thanks for any help.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trip to south dakota
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Is the Waubay wildlife refuge worth fishing?

Offline NESDperchslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:20 AM »
Its just going to depend, a lot of things can change in 2-3 weeks.  We could have 3 feet of snow or no snow at all.  Lakes in South Dakota really vary from week to week.  Really in order to get on a good number of fish a guy is going to have to drill. drill. drill., there has been no "hot" lake this year where everybody can go and catch a good number of fish.  I would recommend a guide just for mobility reasons.

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Good info.

Offline mbaiter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2017, 10:56 AM »
i would just follow traffic paths on bitter or waubay and look at the maps available for free and go from their, no need to call a guide. waste of money. Part of fishing is to make it a adventure. The refuge is a ton of work and holes to maybe find a school, the last 3 years has been poor on the refuge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.