Author Topic: Best cordless drill for double duty?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best cordless drill for double duty?
« on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:05 PM »
Even though I probably won't use it until next season I'm looking for a cordless drill with enough power and battery to not only drill holes in the ice, but I want something with the ump to drill holes in some stumps on the property to apply Potassium Nitrate and diesel fuel. My regular cordless obviously won't cut it. (No pun intended).

So therefore I am looking to kill two birds with one stone. I'm not so much concerned about the price as I am with a good quality drill and battery(s).

Suggestions?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best cordless drill for double duty?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:11 PM »
2804 Milwaukee Fuel with a 12.0 battery...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Dtinsf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:44 PM »
I'll 2nd the 2804 milwaukee with the 12 amp battery. Just remember on drill mode it has the potential to injure you.  I'd recommend using the side handle.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:46 PM »
X3 on the Milwaukee.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:52 PM »
x4 on Milwaukee
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:55 PM »
i have the Milwaukee,

+1

used it to install a tv wall anchor yesterday! its usefull when not drilling holes/anchors

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:02 PM »
I own both the Milwaukee Fuel 2704 and the Ridgid Octane. Both are great drills with enough muscle to twist your arm off at the root. If I could only own one of them, it would be the Milwaukee Fuel. Lighter, and with better ergonomics. Both are superb four season tools.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:13 PM »
You are going to get Milwaukee and ridged fans. Get a brushless. Get one with the maximum torque lbs. get as good a deal as you can don’t make your decision with the deals from the big box stores. If you do find a deal make sure it includes at least a 5amh battery. Good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Milwaukee and Ridged are both good drills that will get the job done, with the Milwaukee having a little more guts. In the end, I went with the Ridged for the lifetime warranty.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:38 PM »
 Milwaukee mud mixer plenty of guts for drilling in your stumps and all you need for drilling in the ice .

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2020, 02:55 PM »
Thank you gentlemen!

Thank you hardwater diehard for the links!

That's half of what I thought would pay for something like that!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:03 PM »
Thank you gentlemen!

Thank you hardwater diehard for the links?

That's half of what I thought would pay for something like that!

There was a better deal at Mills fleet farm ..but its all sold out at 11 am ..that's the best deal I have seen since noontime today ..keep an eye on this thread ...everyday some drill deals from time to time ..especially recently ..Mil 2804-22 have been going around $199 ..from different Farm n Fleets ..HD just dropped their price ..also sign up for some Emails fron factory outlets for 10-20% off first orders/discounts

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331034.6810
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:10 PM »
There was a better deal at Mills fleet farm ..but its all sold out at 11 am ..that's the best deal I have seen since noontime today ..keep an eye on this thread ...everyday some drill deals from time to time ..especially recently ..Mil 2804-22 have been going around $199 ..from different Farm n Fleets ..HD just dropped their price ..also sign up for some Emails fron factory outlets for 10-20% off first orders/discounts

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331034.6810

Thanks!  I just ordered the Milwaukee from Home Depot! I had customer show up and pay me $250.00 just before I finished the order which worked out great!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:28 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2020, 03:43 PM »
Ill be the odd ball here.

I really like my Dewalt. I believe its the 996. Only reason why I went this route was because most my daily arsenal was Dewalt so it just made sense. No real dog in the fight either way. I use this year round for some tough work running 8''-12'' lags among many other jobs. Seems to have paid for its self no doubt.

I see now they have the 997 which has bluetooth and tracking so you can find your drill if someone has sticky fingers. Or to make sure your employees are actually on the job lol.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/connected-products/20v-max-xr--tool-connect-hammerdrill-kit-w-tool-connect-batteries/dcd997p2bt

I run 6ah batteries ice fishing and the thing shreds ice. One battery is usually all I need depending on ice and temp.

Tight lines

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:31 PM »
you will be impressed with any of the top drills.  the power is unbelievable!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:24 PM »
I bought the MW 2704 last year and love it. Came with 2 5AH batteries and the charger with case. I never used the second battery yet and after well over 40 holes in 12 inches of ice when I got home the battery still had 3 bars left. Now I see they sell a 2804 model. Anyone know the difference between 2804 and 2704 or is it just a newer model of the same drill.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:31 PM »
I bought the MW 2704 last year and love it. Came with 2 5AH batteries and the charger with case. I never used the second battery yet and after well over 40 holes in 12 inches of ice when I got home the battery still had 3 bars left. Now I see they sell a 2804 model. Anyone know the difference between 2804 and 2704 or is it just a newer model of the same drill.

Gam

Redesigned side handle and a more compact frame ..same torque specs and drill modes and speed

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:38 PM »
Redesigned side handle and a more compact frame ..same torque specs and drill modes and speed

Thanks HD! Fabulous drills and the battery has been unbelievable so far.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Thanks HD! Fabulous drills and the battery has been unbelievable so far.

Gam

I have the 2704 on my Clam Plate w/8 in K-Drill..no issues ..I also have a 2804 that I have as a back up .there is a great difference in the side handles sturdiness as the 2804 grips more of the drill.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:48 PM »

I’m running a 2804 on my 6” nils and it tares up the ice

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:28 PM »
I am a Dewalt fan as well for 2 reasons. 1) I like the product and I have it interchangeable with other Dewalt tools. 2) we are Milwaukee at work and there is a large amount of tool and battery theft there. I started with Dewalt so that they can not say that I acquired it from work.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Milwaukee 2804 if you can get a deal with 2 of the 5ah batteries. Mine also came with the quarter inch impact which is great when I'm tinkering one car.

Sure the 12ah is better but its also a pretty pricey battery

I havent used my 2804 on stumps but it sure does rip thru ice extremely well.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline struckus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:19 PM »
I'll echo the Milwaukee 2804..the bigger battery is obviously great but the 5ah they come with will drill 30-40 holes in 20 inches of ice with ease..get the drill with the 5ah and upgrade the battery after if you really need to..i''buy a 9ah or 12ah next year most likely but i never run a 5ah battery more than halfway the way I fish..and I fish with 2 other people, so not a huge concern for me..drill has loads of power..really impressive..

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2020, 10:58 PM »
If you already have a set of cordless tools from a reputable brand then the drill you want is a brushless hammer drill from the brand that you already have....provided it meets the specs needed to turn the ice bit you will be using.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2020, 04:59 AM »
If you already have a set of cordless tools from a reputable brand then the drill you want is a brushless hammer drill from the brand that you already have....provided it meets the specs needed to turn the ice bit you will be using.

725 in/lbs or better 4ah batteries or better...good side handle ..brushless ...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:19 AM »

I'll agree with the brushless hammer drill but only because I believe the gears are stronger in the hammer models. I never use the hammer function when drilling ice holes with a lazer auger and don't believe the hammering would help at all except possibly with a chipper auger and even then I am unsure if hammer is the way to run it.

Gam

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2020, 07:27 AM »
I'll agree with the brushless hammer drill but only because I believe the gears are stronger in the hammer models. I never use the hammer function when drilling ice holes with a lazer auger and don't believe the hammering would help at all except possibly with a chipper auger and even then I am unsure if hammer is the way to run it.

Gam

Nope, do not use hammer mode for any drill powered auger.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.