Author Topic: Kenai National Wildlife Refuge (Moose Range) & snowmachines  (Read 786 times)

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
I suspect that on Monday 1/14 when the refuge office opens the Refuge Manager will issue an Emergency Order closing the entire refuge to all snowmachine traffic. That will also ban trucks and snowmachines from driving on the lake ice too. I'll post the announcement here when it comes in.  Grab your ice cleats and sleds if you want to fish Hidden or Skilak.

POURING rain in Soldotna Sunday afternoon @ 35 above. Same rain and temps all over the Peninsula.  I doubt the ice at the outlet of Kenai Lake is very safe at this time. Skilak outlet might not be too good either.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
Re: Kenai National Wildlife Refuge (Moose Range) & snowmachines
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Thanks Gary. It is turning out to be quite a strange and disappointing winter.
See you up the trail.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:28 AM »
I swung by Sport Lake this afternoon to see how the surface was.  About 5 inches of water with some slush still in the picture. A guy with a snowmachine and 5 kids was out there just starting to drill a few holes.  The road was so wet and slick I nearly didn't get turned around without ending up in the ditch. Finally hitting 28 with the wind blowing hard at 11:30pm.  Forecast is for NINE BELOW in Soldotna on Thursday!
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Thanks for the update Gary.
I can't wait to get home from the slope. It will be Trustworthy derby time in February. :clap: :icefish:
I hope it is finally my time to win. I think at last count 7 derby winners were fishing with me when their winning fish were caught.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Haven't heard any update about the refuge, so I think I will attempt to fish the Nest Lake area this weekend using machines to get in. I may try Ice lake or Campfire Lake if I can figure a way to bushwack in.
See you up the trail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.