The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: moron ready mantles  (Read 1139 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
moron ready mantles
« on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:54 PM »
anyone find mantles that are indestructible? lookin for a child friendly heat source,thought lantern could do both any ideas?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: moron ready mantles
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2014, 02:03 PM »
I don't believe there is such a thing ,just be carefull and bring extras.or a little buddy heater.

Offline gusgus637

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:14 PM »
The buddy heaters actually shut off if you bump them or tip them over.  Also the top rung of the protective metal guard works perfect for roasting hot dogs :-)

Offline paramedicjake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:46 PM »
I like the Colman name brand ones with the spring wire instead of the string . Never could get that tiny string to hold . Also , invest in a case for it . I switched over to a little buddy and LEDS for light this year .

Offline paulinpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:53 PM »
    Love my Little Buddy, but the single mantle lanterns that attach at the top and bottom (with wires), hold up pretty well for me. For safety's sake I'd go with the heater for the young ones

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Indestructible mantles; good luck!
As for a Colman lantern being child friendly ??? Did you ever touch the top of one, they get VERY hot, especially the nut that holds the top on. Instant burn!
I would also lean toward a little buddy heater as the heat source.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:26 PM »
thank you all, looking for a lil buddy heater good place to buy?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:34 PM »
on sale at lowes

Offline FishSandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:15 AM »
Check out the north star lanterns from Coleman. They run off one big mantle, are super bright. Throw lots of heat (less then a buddy heater) run off 1lb bottles and they have a cage around the globe.

They're more expensive then other lanterns but they're nice

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:22 AM »
my problem has not been the globes its that sometimes a little bump and the mantles fall apart.but if you have globes busting that's probably the way to go.

Offline gusgus637

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:04 AM »
I ended up doing away with my lantern. I bought a push button start one and loved it until one cold night in the shantie we had the heater and the lantern going. My friend and u were joking having a good time laughing then I realized I was laughing for no reason. I then realized the vent in the shanty was closed . When I opened it that lanteren went from dim to as bright as the sun lol. Yeah I killed some brain cells that night  ;D. I was getting tired of replacing manrals all the time u now just use a buddy heater and  a led stick light with 60 little leds.

Offline paulinpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:24 PM »
    The Northstar is the one I have as well..I usually get a couple years out of a mantle, and it's plenty of heat for me. If you like it downright arm tho, got to be the Buddy. It has the least amount of fumes too. I had a catalytic and only used it once. Couldn't believe the stench it made with the same propane my lantern burned

Offline wallhanger77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • its all about the fishing
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:33 PM »
I saw a little buddy heater at Wal-Mart for about $80 is that about the going rate for one or are they cheaper at Lowe's and I always carry about four extra mantels with me and I like the installing mantels from Coleman
If you want me to listen to you talk about fishing      I am a member of PETA     people eating tastey animals

Offline wallhanger77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:34 PM »
I meant instaclip mantels from Coleman
If you want me to listen to you talk about fishing      I am a member of PETA     people eating tastey animals

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:52 PM »
I saw a little buddy heater at Wal-Mart for about $80 is that about the going rate for one or are they cheaper at Lowe's and I always carry about four extra mantels with me and I like the installing mantels from Coleman
lowes all sold out, 80 bux is great deal for the square ones,amazon got the round one for 50 bux and 119 for the square one thankx again
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:56 PM »
The north star lanterns are bright and they are nice but only if you like burning through propane very quickly my bro in law has one if u plan on fishing all night better bring more than one tank ill take my two single mantel lanterns and a couple nights of fishing of one tank versus one lantern and two tanks a night any day just my opinion though
A watched flag never flies

Offline FishSandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Dicks in cranberry twp has a buddy for about 80 bucks red tagged. Don't take my word though I just glanced at it while browsing. Could be worth a phone call.

Offline wallhanger77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:57 PM »
thanks guys

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Check sportsman's guide
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.