The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: FISHIN" out the lake?  (Read 10152 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
FISHIN" out the lake?
« on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I've read a few posts from those who are concerned with amount of fish being taken out of a lake.  I don't think we have any idea what the creel is.  Out of the 50 guys that were on Muddy Creek this weekend, only a dozen post.  And out of that dozen, most were very successful.  I rarely see someone release a fish.  There was a report that a spot fished last week in Muddy Creek produced 9 bass over 20 inches. It would appear that a lot more fish are being taken from the lake than you would think were in the lake.  Last year after ice out, they had a soft water tournament. It produced numerous limits of bass, up to 7 lbs.  If we were fishing the lake out, this would not be possible.  Just my thoughts!
Mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
Re: FISHIN" out the lake?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:37 AM »
mo, i need to send you some of the hate-mail i get.  Set em all straight.

Dr.  JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:39 AM »
mo, i need to send you some of the hate-mail i get.  Set em all straight.

Dr.  JM
no wonder the drink of choice is potato wodka numbs whats the ice dont lol    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:32 PM »
If that Lake in question is Fished out or getting Fished out.....How come there are alotta of posts stating that many under the size limit were caught and released??  How come the past years I have been fishing this Lake this happens every year where HUGE fish are caught thru the Ice year after year?  If this Lake is fished out How come there are many Bass touneys their every year??  Just askin......
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:38 PM »
If that Lake in question is Fished out or getting Fished out.....How come there are alotta of posts stating that many under the size limit were caught and released??  How come the past years I have been fishing this Lake this happens every year where HUGE fish are caught thru the Ice year after year?  If this Lake is fished out How come there are many Bass touneys their every year??  Just askin......
TRYIN HARD MO

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Hope they don't start any Crappie tourney in the Lakes here..... ;D   Same as them..many HUGE slabs caught year after year after year....
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:45 PM »
Hope they don't start any Crappie tourney in the Lakes here..... ;D   Same as them..many HUGE slabs caught year after year after year....
crappie smappie if the stripers are the only fish left i might get one  :'( :'( :'(   mo

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Do they have Stripers touneys??? 

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:47 PM »
if you guys run out of fish out there, you can come over and catch some of our's   ;D

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Is it alright if we come there ..catch the fish and bring back here to re-stock that Dead Sea???

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:53 PM »

yep, you can have all you want lol

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Are those them Hybrids I hear about or are they Pure Breds??..... ::)

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:58 PM »
Are those them Hybrids I hear about or are they Pure Breds??..... ::)
pure breds, the top one is hooked in the tail. lol

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Guess ya can't email some and save us Western guys a trip....LOL

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:02 PM »
yea the'll fit in a small box lol

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Thanks....LOL

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:04 PM »
   Mo, catchs millions!!!!!!!!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:14 PM »
   Mo, catchs millions!!!!!!!!
strpers dancing in my head   
mo

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:34 PM »
pure breded dinks out our way.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:07 PM »
I've read a few posts from those who are concerned with amount of fish being taken out of a lake.  I don't think we have any idea what the creel is.  Out of the 50 guys that were on Muddy Creek this weekend, only a dozen post.  And out of that dozen, most were very successful.  I rarely see someone release a fish.  There was a report that a spot fished last week in Muddy Creek produced 9 bass over 20 inches. It would appear that a lot more fish are being taken from the lake than you would think were in the lake.  Last year after ice out, they had a soft water tournament. It produced numerous limits of bass, up to 7 lbs.  If we were fishing the lake out, this would not be possible.  Just my thoughts!
Mo

I'm with you Mo... if you are catching fish out of a lake then the lake you are fishing is not fished out.

Muddy Creek... numerous limits of bass up to 7 lbs... I'm in! In fact, it is without question one of the best bass lake in all of NE USA. I can think of only a handful of lakes that can make this claim (Champlain, Erie, Oneida)... I wonder why it's such a well kept secret?

Lesson learned: kill as many bass as you can... it is the best way to grow more and bigger bass. Makes sense. I'm in... I'm gonna start throwing everything on the ice starting next weekend, because I can't think of any lake I have fished in PA that matches that description.  :)

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:43 PM »
I'm with you Mo... if you are catching fish out of a lake then the lake you are fishing is not fished out.

Muddy Creek... numerous limits of bass up to 7 lbs... I'm in! In fact, it is without question one of the best bass lake in all of NE USA. I can think of only a handful of lakes that can make this claim (Champlain, Erie, Oneida)... I wonder why it's such a well kept secret?

Lesson learned: kill as many bass as you can... it is the best way to grow more and bigger bass. Makes sense. I'm in... I'm gonna start throwing everything on the ice starting next weekend, because I can't think of any lake I have fished in PA that matches that description.  :)

Ever fished this private lake called Monroe  ;) ;) ;D  I caught more big bass and picks in there this summer than I have in 3-4 years of fishing it. Ever since JM and his crew of misfits started killing everything we got to see what the fishing was like when you didn't have schools of perch hitting everything you threw  ;D
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:51 PM »
Just like deer hunting. If you kill every doe you see, you'll end up with more bucks. Yup, makes perfect sense ::)to you ;)
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:52 PM »

Ever fished this private lake called Monroe  ;) ;) ;D  I caught more big bass and picks in there this summer than I have in 3-4 years of fishing it. Ever since JM and his crew of misfits started killing everything we got to see what the fishing was like when you didn't have schools of perch hitting everything you threw  ;D

That makes absolutely no sense at all ski hunter… because surely you could be catching more and bigger bass right up the road at Promised Land which sees 100 times the pressure that Lake Monroe does? Why waste your time at a private lake that doesn’t receive the kind of mass harvest required to grow large numbers of big bass?  ???  :P

Imagine if there were no size or creel limits set by the PFBC… we would be taking stringers of 10-pounders out of Minsi Lake! That would be awesome… I’m writing a letter to Dave Arnold.  :o  ;D

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:54 PM »

Just like deer hunting. If you kill every doe you see, you'll end up with more bucks. Yup, makes perfect sense ::)to you ;)

Yup! Deer, bass... kill' em all, let God sort 'em out!  ;D

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:13 PM »
That makes absolutely no sense at all ski hunter… because surely you could be catching more and bigger bass right up the road at Promised Land which sees 100 times the pressure that Lake Monroe does? Why waste your time at a private lake that doesn’t receive the kind of mass harvest required to grow large numbers of big bass?  ???  :P

Imagine if there were no size or creel limits set by the PFBC… we would be taking stringers of 10-pounders out of Minsi Lake! That would be awesome… I’m writing a letter to Dave Arnold.  :o  ;D

I'm not saying taking everything out...but by taking out a number of the larger predators you leave more forage to go around to all the remaining meaning they have more to eat and will get bigger...basic stuff that the strict C&R guys will always deny  ::)   There are plenty of lakes around the state and around the country where stricter limits on what can be harvested have been out in place to promote trophy fisheries and most of them haven't done a whole lot to increase the size of the fish, case in point, you're beloved Promised Land. You said yourself you haven't seen much of an increase in the size of the pannies since they put the panfish enhancement regs in place. The only difference is less are being kept (although putting the regs usually draws more attention to a lake some people may not have otherwise fished so even that statement can be argued)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:35 PM »
The panfish enhancement regs are off in my book. Don't make sense to me to pull the big fish out and leave the small fish in. You want to make a "trophy fishery" for gills say every gill over 8.5" or so goes back, under that the daily limit applies.

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:02 PM »
The panfish enhancement regs are off in my book. Don't make sense to me to pull the big fish out and leave the small fish in. You want to make a "trophy fishery" for gills say every gill over 8.5" or so goes back, under that the daily limit applies.

I caught plenty of quality panfish in every special regs. lake I fished in the last few years. Lots of gills 7-9 inches.20 gills over 7 iches is plenty for me. I wouldn't even keep and try to fillet a sunfish less than 7 inches. I'm happy to catch gills at 7-9 inches, but have read threads where guys are catching gills 11-12 inches regularly. Read somewhere a lake down south produced not one, but two gills over 5 lbs.! I guess some lakes are just not cut out for it.

I use to catch and release everything when I was younger.Always preached conservation.I got over it. I keep some but am in no means a meat hog, and definitely not a poacher. Funny how the guys on the ice who keep more than everybody else are always the ones complaining how "it ain't like it used to be." I'm so tired of hearing this crap on lakes like Ontelaunee.I catch plenty of nice fish every year. People can't live in the past when there were NO FLOUNDER LIMITS in the 60's and It was nothing to bring home 50 per man.My uncle told me how it was back then.They would bring everything home for the neighbors and everybody else. And the old pictures of stringers of dead 8lb+ bass. Fact is, there are more fishermen today than there ever was.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:37 PM »
I caught plenty of quality panfish in every special regs. lake I fished in the last few years. Lots of gills 7-9 inches.20 gills over 7 iches is plenty for me. I wouldn't even keep and try to fillet a sunfish less than 7 inches. I'm happy to catch gills at 7-9 inches, but have read threads where guys are catching gills 11-12 inches regularly. Read somewhere a lake down south produced not one, but two gills over 5 lbs.! I guess some lakes are just not cut out for it.

Most of the southern lakes will produce larger fish due to the fact they don't get the cold weather we do. Warmer weather year round means the fish feed heavier throughout the year and not just over the warmer months. I'm a bit skeptical of 5# gills. Most likely they were hybrids which are more likely to grow bigger.

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Most of the southern lakes will produce larger fish due to the fact they don't get the cold weather we do. Warmer weather year round means the fish feed heavier throughout the year and not just over the warmer months. I'm a bit skeptical of 5# gills. Most likely they were hybrids which are more likely to grow bigger.

I actually read the 5lb. gill thing in In-fishermen magazine 15 years ago.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I actually read the 5lb. gill thing in In-fishermen magazine 15 years ago.

Did a quick search:

IGFA WORLD RECORD BLUEGILL = 4 lb. 12 oz.

but found this http://www.fishinpals.net/Giant_Bluegill.html

Bream, shellcrackers and the few other hybrid gills certainly can grow to 5# which is why I said they were most likely hybrids. Either way I'd love to hook into one of those beasts  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.