Massachusetts > Ice Fishing Massachusetts

Getting to Oxbow

(1/1)

bobby:
Where are you getting onto the ice in the Oxbow? Are you parking at the marina and walking out or the Rod and Gun club? Is there another way out onto the ice? Really would like to fish there.

Muskie Matt:
Park & pay @ the marina.  There is a road on the other side which someone took upon themself to fence in.  To my knowlede this is a public road, although not plowed to the end, and anyone should be entitled to park there.  I hope others read this and can shed some light on that access area.

nemachuck:
Thats big dispute I heard.  The guy who owns the field behind the fence supposedly is the one who put up the fence.  There is a different guy who owns the rights to the water and land between the road and water.  From what I heard the guy who owns the land wants to buy the rights from the other guy so he can access the water.  The guy on the water wont sell so to get back at him he put up the fence claiming thats his land.  So now the guy on the water would be "trespassing" to get to his land.  All maps show that as a public road so that fence should be illegal.  I would call Northampton Police or DPW to find out for sure.  I bet that fence will be taken down by some people this winter.  A lot of people park there to ice fish.  Though that shoreline can be very sketchy.  All of this is second or even third hand knowledge so this might be all wet.

Coastie:
You can not purchase land that has no access it sounds as though this road is clearly the access point for this man to reach his land and water. It would be illegal for this other guy to put up a fence and not allow this guy access to his land. This happened to my Uncle on his property in Maine He simply went to Town Hall. The Police can enforce the facts Town Hall can supply the facts. Anyone can obtain this info and it may turn out that anyone can go rip this fence down. My Wife is a Paralegal her specialty is Realastate so she could enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version