The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice shelter  (Read 798 times)

Offline Peterwheels

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice shelter
« on: Feb 15, 2024, 12:36 PM »
I have ice fished all my life but never had a shelter. Time to retire where I will have more time during the week. What type of shelter should I get, a clam type or pop-up?   Undecided.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice shelter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2024, 01:53 PM »
I have ice fished all my life but never had a shelter. Time to retire where I will have more time during the week. What type of shelter should I get, a clam type or pop-up?   Undecided.

You plan on fishing by your self? Flipover is the way to go if you are. If you have some to go with you Everytime a pop up might be best
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2024, 02:06 PM »

Both....:>)
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2024, 02:26 PM »
Both....:>)

Agreed. My 3-piece arsenal consists of a 4-person pop-up, a flip, and a sled/stool combo to cover all bases. I use the flip far more often than any other option. Be aware that "two-person" flips often translate to "two-hole" flips; plenty of room for one person fishing two holes but tight for two people.  As someone who is more interested in GOING outdoors to BE outdoors than fishing in boxer shorts (which appears to be important to some folks), I like the option of being able to flip a shelter open to act as a windbreak in addition to it serving as a heated shelter when necessary. How far you plan to travel on the ice, snow depth, and ability to load a flip in the truck solo (i.e. its weight) are all things to consider.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2024, 08:36 PM »
The answer to this question really depends on how you fish.  If you like to run and gun, moving from one spot to another often, especially if you use a four wheeler, get the flip.  With the built in sled, you can be flipped down and loaded in minutes.  A hub takes forever to set up and take down, because everything has to be unloaded from the sled, then loaded to leave, folded up, ice anchors to screw and unscrew, etc.  but the hub is nicer and roomier once you are set up.  You will have to have a separate sled and fold up chairs for the hub.  Seats are built in on the flip.  So get the hub if you plan to stay in one spot.  My main issues with the flip over were weight while unloading it from the pickup and finding a place to store it over the summer.  If you do get the flip, take the fabric part off and store it in the house to keep mice away from it.  The sled, seats and poles can be stored in a shed or the garage.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2024, 06:18 PM »
You plan on fishing by your self? Flipover is the way to go if you are. If you have some to go with you Everytime a pop up might be best

This right here is the way to go.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2024, 08:13 AM »
Once I purchased the flip over, My hub hasn't left the garage. I move around a lot looking for fish and I found with a hub, I didn't move once it was set up.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2024, 05:16 PM »
I've got a 14' wheelhouse, 2 man flipover, one man flipover and a hub. I've only used the hub once, wheelhouse gets a lot of use now when ice is good, but my most used shelter nowadays is my one man flipover. With the Livescope I'm moving a lot more now and it's super lightweight and easy to mobilize. When there are more of us, we all just take our own one man or small two man flipovers. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.