Author Topic: salting chubs for traps  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
salting chubs for traps
« on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:06 AM »
i went to youtube and watched a few vids on salting leftover suckers, chubs, shiners, for re-use, and some guys who do this before fishing them at all. I seen a half dozen methods, from mixing 1-4 different salts, making a brine, , packing them ice water and salt, then freezing to just putting them in a bucket, and dumping salt on them, without freezing. Some vids were 12 mins., some were just over 1 min. how do you guys do it?

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: salting chubs for traps
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Since I salt leftover certified bait, I don't worry about getting them completely preserved.  I put them in a brine for few hours, then cover them in salt for about 4 or 5 more.  They won't last as long that way, but they are more lifelike instead of being dried out.  I'm still using some from last year and catching fish on them, but they are getting pretty soft.

I have to buy new live bait anyway for the kids, so I don't care if they go bad eventually.  I always have more to replace them with.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: salting chubs for traps
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Left over minnows I pat try with a paper towel, put in a freezer bag and pour some kosher salt in the bag.  Minnows are good or the rest of the season.  Most of the time I am using just the minnow heads, haven't any difference in the catch rate between fresh and salted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.