The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: what do i need  (Read 1293 times)

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
what do i need
« on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:40 PM »
i want to start spearing this year and was wondering what equipment ill need, roughly how much it costs, and any good tips to really just get out and try. thanks

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what do i need
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2012, 12:24 PM »
First and foremost you'll need a darkhouse, spear, and method of holding a live decoy.

Portables work great for spearing.  I mainly spear out of a hub-style pop-up.  You can find them new for less than 200 bucks.  Simple mods can be done to the box-style portables as well.  Check craigslist for them and you can get em for less than 100 all day.

For spears, you can also find them on craigslist for as cheap as 25.  A decent new spear is around 100, and real good one's can be had in the 200 range.  Want to spend the big bucks?  Pick up a custom Kraemer spear.  They start at 500 and top out around 1200.   :)

You don't need to go all out and buy fake decoys.  Any baitshop will have a decoy "pin" for holding a live sucker, and you can rig it in your shanty any number of ways.  I suggest you search around this forum.  You'll find EVERYTHING you need, and I won't have to type a dictionary :).

I guess you'll also need a way to make a hole.  New spuds are around 70 bucks, but I highly recommend an ice saw.  You'll find these new between 130 and 170.

All said and done, if you buy everything NEW and get good stuff, you're looking at between 500 and 600 bucks.  Sounds expensive, but everything but the portable shanty will last your entire life, and the lives of your children, and grandchildren...

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Where is the Like button.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2012, 04:02 PM »
First and foremost you'll need a darkhouse, spear, and method of holding a live decoy.

Portables work great for spearing.  I mainly spear out of a hub-style pop-up.  You can find them new for less than 200 bucks.  Simple mods can be done to the box-style portables as well.  Check craigslist for them and you can get em for less than 100 all day.

For spears, you can also find them on craigslist for as cheap as 25.  A decent new spear is around 100, and real good one's can be had in the 200 range.  Want to spend the big bucks?  Pick up a custom Kraemer spear.  They start at 500 and top out around 1200.   :)

You don't need to go all out and buy fake decoys.  Any baitshop will have a decoy "pin" for holding a live sucker, and you can rig it in your shanty any number of ways.  I suggest you search around this forum.  You'll find EVERYTHING you need, and I won't have to type a dictionary :).

I guess you'll also need a way to make a hole.  New spuds are around 70 bucks, but I highly recommend an ice saw.  You'll find these new between 130 and 170.

All said and done, if you buy everything NEW and get good stuff, you're looking at between 500 and 600 bucks.  Sounds expensive, but everything but the portable shanty will last your entire life, and the lives of your children, and grandchildren...
Not sure you'll find a more informative response than this. Well said man.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Thanks for the info, hopefully ill get a chance to try this year :)

Offline spearingMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:18 PM »
As far as techniques I would watch some YouTube videos I would think that would be the best way to learn if you don't have some one to show you in person.
Anywhere from 5-12 feet is a good depth, try to find the edge of the weed line and set up there. On most lakes the spearing shacks are kinda in a group so try to find them and set up there.
Don't forget to mark your hole when you leave. Good luck and have fun it takes some practice but it's a blast!

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2012, 02:27 AM »
I lived in hougton for four years when I went to MTU. 3'-4' of ice is the norm get a big big augar, slash two feet over the ice get a sled if going out to the humps at the portage lake, ATV will not work, trust me on that one. You can walk out of the boat launch on side road in chassel if you stay in pike bay the best bet for spearing big pike. Live bait is hard to come by and exspense in hougton, use a spoon with no hook or spin a red and white golf ball if you dont get a decoy, or the bait shop is closed because the owner had to work late ay his day  job. You can hang dead smelt in a rig high in the hole that works for me sometimes and every store in the area has bait smelt. You can use perch and suckers you catch your self I once got a 22" white sucker  perch fishing at the humps. Good luck and post pics when you get one of the hogs that live inter portage

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.