The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: cracking ice  (Read 1037 times)

Offline akwawe

• IceShanty Rookie
cracking ice
« on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:44 AM »
I was on a lake Fri and the ice never stopped cracking, water was crystal clear in 12', there were three of us and we used live and wood decoys and only saw 4 fish.  Question do you think the cracking ice affects the movement of the pike?  It appeared that sediment was getting thicker as I could see more of it between me and my decoy.  Do you think this was from the ice cracking?  Thanks  ???

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: cracking ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:19 AM »
Yes I do believe that the ice cracking makes them more skidish but I bet the murky water is because of a river or creek but who knows maybe it is the ice cracking. The only other thing I know clouds up the water is when the ice starts to go around the edges of the lake the melting snow pushes silt in the water.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:20 AM »
That's an interesting question about the sound of ice growing on a lake. One of our local lakes actually plays a pretty impressive symphony of actual musical tones much like the sound effects in movies of ricocheting bullets. Cracks can run a mile or more.

What I just came across this weekend on Youtube was a guy who had an underwater camera near the lake bottom while whitefish fishing. There were no fish on the video screen at the start. He needed to drill another hole for his camera with his power auger and wondered if it would spook the fish.  You can hear the engine running in the background and the screen starts filling with whitefish swimming through the area in a big school right towards the noise.  They seem to "come a running" to the location of the sound of the drilling much like a Kodiak brown bear comes running to a deer hunter's rifle shot knowing that there will be a steaming gut pile waiting for it.   ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLcIBl3Vmso

With the cracking being such a normal thing I'd think it probably is just background noise to fish that they ignore.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Do you mean ice cracking like this  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDg99YGCXEM

When it comes to nature there are always too many variables to consider, maybe the ice cracking does bother them some times and maybe it doesn't but one thing is for sure you can't spear a pike if you are not going out.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:51 PM »
I got 5 pike on Sunday in a lake with no size limit and the ice was popping, and cracking the whole time we were out. Pike didn't seem to mind, but Saturday pan fish were around and the ice was clam, and no pan fish move in the hole on Sunday.  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.