The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perch spear help  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch spear help
« on: Dec 10, 2011, 11:50 PM »
I am thinking of getting into spearing perch when a big one comes in what type of spear do you use for perch? 
Are they the same as pike spears or smaller.  I have never tried spearing so any info would be great thanks. Bring on the ice already!!!

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Perch spear help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:27 AM »
I'm sure your talking Lake St.Clair cause that's the only place I know of where it's legal to spear perch, but any ways I would go with a frog gig and a very lite stick because I know that you have to be a lot faster when it comes to perch, maybe a section of a bamboo rod  ??? sorry I don't know allot about this topic but that's my 2 cents

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:41 PM »
You are correct on Lake St Clair have seen it done on TV but don't remember what type of equipment they were using. Don't think it was a frog gig but I could be wrong wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong.  May have to post this in the mi area

Offline JimF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:44 PM »
My Dad speared perch on lake St. Clair. His perch spearhead was about 6-7 inches wide with 5 inch tines and the tines were narrow gapped about 3/4 inches apart and were of lighter material than the pike spearhead tines.. Most perch were wedged between the tines rather than pierced by a tine. Wish I could find that spear head.!!!
JimF

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2011, 10:24 PM »
I am very new to spearing and am in the process of buying gear.  In the process of searching, I saw perch spears by Dave Pawlak I believe.  They were 4.25 inches wide with a smaller tine and no barbs.  I think they were around $50.
  BE THERE!

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2011, 03:45 PM »
I'm kinda puzzled by the perch (and smelt) spears being narrower in width than a typical pike spear. Of course its logical to make the tines closer together and also even downsize the tine diameter to say 1/8" for stabbing tiny perch and smelt bodies. But why would you want to make the spear much more difficult to hit the tinier target by making it smaller in width?

To me that is like going dove hunting with a .410  You'll get more birds with a 12 guage. Help me understand the logic. Or is it one of those macho things...."Hey I can spear'em six feet deep with a tooth pick!"  ;D
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:18 AM »
I think the width has to do with the hole size. Most guys spear perch that are large and will not bite when they are fishing hook and line. I have a old perch/herring spear that is 4 1/2" wide 7 tines 1/8" thick with cut barbs, and 6 1/2" long. I use it in shallow water for pike and have never lost one, I have to kick them off. the spear is a take-down and has 4 parts, so only the handle end hangs out of a 5 gallon bucket. when it is put together it is 6' long. The shaft is 3/8" and it has a 1' wood tool handle at the top, it works great in my old portable in 3' or less water with two 10"x30" holes. It all about what works for you at the time.  ;)

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:11 PM »
www.darkhousegearandta ckle.com

Dave makes great perch spears!

I personally have a barbless spear made by my buddy that anchors the convicts great! 

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:34 PM »
www.darkhousegearandta ckle.com

Dave makes great perch spears!

I personally have a barbless spear made by my buddy that anchors the convicts great!

This is a great site with fair prices not too many of those out there  :-\

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:24 PM »
perch spearhead next to pike spear and the take down handle, finally took some pics.

P2121264 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr

P2121265 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr

P2121266 by jasonmichalski, on Flickr
 @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.