Author Topic: sucky lazer auger...  (Read 8278 times)

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISH NAKED!! *S.E. OHIO*
sucky lazer auger...
« on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:43 PM »
i got a new 7 inch lazer and gave my 8 inch mora away and this lazer sucks.. it wont finish a hole out.. the last half inch of ice its really hard to cut..  i posted this on another site and they said to call strikemaster and they will send new blades.. i cant get ahold of anyone..   anyone else have problems with a lazer auger??

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: sucky lazer auger...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:49 PM »
I've had my Lazer for 10 years only had to change the blades once. Might have got one with a manufacturing flaw.   I have had alot of trouble with the standard Blue and red ones.  If new I would definitely bring it back...

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:54 PM »
new off ebay  :(   the guys i talked to said to call and get new free blades... but i cant get anyone to answer

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:03 PM »
new off ebay  :(   the guys i talked to said to call and get new free blades... but i cant get anyone to answer

Does the seller offer a return option? I would return it to the seller and buy one from somewhere else. (theres a reason someone was selling it on ebay)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:06 PM »
Does seem suspicious. You can report bad transactions on Ebay; the ebay people will work hard to help you. I had an issue one time that they helped resolve...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:08 PM »
something isn't right that lazor should cut a hole twice as fast as a mora i bet you got a messed up blades somehow
                                                                                                                            trap

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:13 PM »
My lazer 6" can cut through 24" of ice in under a minute. (thats with me huffing and puffing)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline basser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:27 PM »
I had the same thing last year with a 7" Laser I got at Gander Mountain. Took it back and got a 6" Laser and just love it, cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Offline summit-viper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:28 PM »
ive had the same problem with my 6 inch

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:29 PM »
If you bought it new on E-Bay the MFG has no responsibility to fix of warrant.  Might want to contact them at:

http://www.strikemaster.com/contactus.html

Talk nice and they might be helpful.  Also take a VERY CLOSE look and see if it has been dropped.  Might be a reason it was on there.  Not saying the seller knew about it but he might have gotten junk to sell?  I would do whatever I could to get a refund!  Just my opinion.

Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:31 PM »
it was brand new sealed in the box..... and the box is in good shape.. and is this years model...

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:41 PM »
I had the same problem with my lazer mag express, called SM talked to Kristy, gave her the serial#
and had new blades in about 4 days. She told me that the blades were to aggressive, they were
from china and they had the wrong angle on the blades. The new blades I got in the mail are from Sweden
and they cut great.      Phone # is 763-263-8999  Hope this helps :)

Offline Icebound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:28 PM »
I got my 8" off of Ebay and I love it. Works great! Can't wait to bolt it on to an Icegator........... Must be something wrong with the one you got. I would return it.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Mine sticks too. Sent a email to strikemaster, HOPE to hear something soon....   Thought the blades were too sharp.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Had same problem..new blades solved it. Or should I say replaced blades made it China fixed it.......
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2009, 12:10 PM »
Sounds like chinesse QC to me. Its unlikely the auger is bad its probably the blades. There are a lot of small and large stores that sell NIB products on ebay. Just because the item was bought on ebay doesn't mean its used or junk. I bought my Finbore from a store on ebay and its perfect.

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2009, 12:16 PM »
If you bought it new on E-Bay the MFG has no responsibility to fix of warrant.  Might want to contact them at:

Not 100% true, if the person you bought it off of is actually a licensed dealer selling on Ebay then they will honor the warranty....if you bought it off a guy just trying to sell it then you are probably SOL
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline peterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "you got one pole and one life, use it"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2009, 12:27 PM »
ive been threw 2 8in lazers would cut like butter then wouldnt start or finish a hole tried new blades still didnt help it think it has to do with the pitch and me not being the easiest on my augers prolly screwed that up! ive had my mora for years and i think its the best hand auger out there for the money. but with the weather were having in new york this year it might be a good idea for me to invest in a power auger!

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:09 PM »
I'm having the same problem with my 8in. Lazer.  Thought it was just me, but my buddy has one and it cuts twice as good.  Should I try new blades? 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:15 PM »
I own two lazer hand augers a six inch (Christmas present in 1998) and an eight inch purchased in 2005,both work great occasionally hang up on last bit of ice before breaking through to water. The above being said I have read posts since joining in Jan.2008 about Strikemaster's quality not being the same as when every thing was made in Sweden .
    I would contact Strikemaster and see if they will honor the product warranty or try buying new blades locally look for made in Sweden on packaging.

Steve

Offline novice2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:29 PM »
Mine is very hard to get through the last inch or so of ice as well, but I just thought that was because thats where the ice is hardest.  Should this not be happening?  If not, then I guess I should get some new blades as well.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:29 PM »
I have 2 Lazers and love them (6" and 8").  I have never had the problem starting a hole like mentioned above (sounds like operator error to me) and it does bind a little every once and a while with the 8".  It sure beats using one of those crappy Moras.  

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I just got my email back from strikemaster, they told me it was the blades, could be dull (about 10 holes) it is also out of the one year warranty, so tuff luck go spend $30. plus for new blades and good luck.

I think I will go with a different brand next time, i hear nils is good.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2009, 03:02 PM »

Remember that with a Nil's there are no "Blades" to replace....you have to replace the whole head!  :o
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline rayban

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Remember that with a Nil's there are no "Blades" to replace....you have to replace the whole head!  :o

And there are more expensive to start! 

I just read this thread to my husband.  He mentioned that the other day when he was out fishing he did a whole bunch of holes no problem with a new auger but when he went to do a few more a bit later it wasn't working well.  He said there was slightest bit of ice buildup on the blades and around the head, once it was removed the auger went back to cutting perfectly.  He also said that the last little bit before it breaks through can sometimes 'catch' a bit.
Don't give up on it to soon!  Good Luck.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:53 PM »
I have 2 Lazers and love them (6" and 8").  I have never had the problem starting a hole like mentioned above (sounds like operator error to me) and it does bind a little every once and a while with the 8".  It sure beats using one of those crappy Moras.  
I use to have one of those crappy moras, it worked better then this lazer did new. And..... I know it's not operator error!!! >:( ;D

Offline Curt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:44 PM »
Used to have a lazer and it hung up on the bottom of the ice all of the time.  Seems common with the lazer.  I bought a nils and it doesn't do this.  It is more expensive, but if you are careful, it should last you a long time.  I have had mine for 4 years now without having to get a new head or have it sharpend.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:09 PM »
I just got my email back from strikemaster, they told me it was the blades, could be dull (about 10 holes) it is also out of the one year warranty, so tuff luck go spend $30. plus for new blades and good luck.

I think that the lazer is a good auger but i wouldnt use that vs. my nils 6" even if you payed me.. I love the nils 6"...  Cuts like butter and no hang up at all.. Good Luck..

Offline Scotty D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:46 PM »
i have the same problem with a mora i bought used on ebay. the blades are sharp as hell but at the wrong angle. i havent been able to get new ones yet so cutting a whole is a two man job.
just five more minutes!!! i swear there is one chasing that shiner right now!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:55 PM »
I have a 6" Lazer purchased in Jan. 08.  It has always had a bit of an issue binding right before it goes through the ice.  I always thought it was normal.  I just replaced the blades, and it still does it, so I don't believe it is the blades. 

I had a problem with mine "skating" the last time out, but that was after drilling a bunch of holes then laying it down in the snow.  The blades iced over.  I had to put quite a bit of down pressure on the auger while turning to get the ice to break off, then it immediately started cutting like normal.  There was 1/4" of ice built up on the blades.

Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.