Author Topic: sucky lazer auger...  (Read 8279 times)

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Re: sucky lazer auger...
« Reply #60 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:37 PM »
I have been eyeing this thread for awhile.
Here is my take.
I have owned a Mora 8" for the past 7 years. never had any problems except all the paint fell off anf it looked like hell that and you had to buy a new set of blades every season.

So I  got a 8" Lazer this year. And have been testing it so to speak.
No Complaints so far, it doesn't cut faster than the Mora or any better.. What I have noticed about this auger is that it is less prone to having the blades getting all banged up. It has a different design. You know how when you poke through  the ice and you pull your auger up through  a few times to clear some slush? Well the Mora has no guards in place to protect the blades from getting banged up when you are pulling it up through.

Those of you that have a Lazer look at the end of it. It has 2 flanges, (not sure itf that is what you would call them) that kinda extend out around the bottom of the blades for when you are pulling it back up through the hole.. These flanges hit the bottom of the hole before the blades do when pulling it up through.

I think the LAZER name is more of a gimmick. It doesn't cut any faster or better but the blades will last twice as long. But considering the blades for a Lazer are more expensive than the Mora it is somewhat of an oxy moron..

China, Sweeden whereever the blades are made I realy think it doesn't matter, you realy are not going to have 2 Identicle augers when it comes down to blade pitch ECT. In the manufacturing world there are tolerances that are acceptable, and as many of these things are made I'm sure 1 out of every hundred are checked to see if they fall within tolerance. Hence a dozen or so ( per hundred) that fall through the cracks and get shipped out. They know , it's why they are so willing to ship out a set of blades for free.

I believe chineese blades will dull faster, they use cheaper materials

Offline waldojigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:51 AM »
new off ebay  :(   the guys i talked to said to call and get new free blades... but i cant get anyone to answer
alot of of the brand new in the box stuff on ebay probably was supposed to go in the scrap bin instead of the box

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:57 AM »
Well, finally tried my new lazer yesterday with the "china" blades and all".  It cut really well with less then effort then my 15 year old mora.  So far, I am very happy with it and if the sweden blades are that much better then I will be extremely happy.  Yesterday we were cutting thru 10-12 inches of ice in 10-20 seconds.  I can live with that!  I still say though that my old Mora with new blades is not much slower, but needs a hell of a lot more pressure. 

Also the blades did not slip and bit really well when starting a hole.  At times breaking thru the hole it caught a little bit, but not a big problem at all.  When nearing the end I just eased up on the pressure and she broke thru every time.

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Just read through all 5 pages and heres my 2 cents... Just bought my first Auger this past New Years weekend...I bought the Lazer 8" China Blades... worked great for about the first 30 holes (better than my cousins auger, name not sure of) but then somehow I got dings in the blades and hasnt been the same since, but I bought a sharpener from sportsmans guide...that helped (a little)...but with all I've heard about sweedish blades, can I order replacement sweedish blades from SM or is there another place to get them??...other than e-bay....cant afford new blades right now, but will be looking for some before too long....

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Check you're local tackle shops.  All thought in Co. they might be toooooo far away.  LOL  :D ;D

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Just be careful of those chinese blades man, they are loaded with lead!    :roflmao:

Remember 1 thing that rings true EVERY TIME!  You get what you pay for!

Flaggs!

IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.