Author Topic: sucky lazer auger...  (Read 8285 times)

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISH NAKED!! *S.E. OHIO*
Re: sucky lazer auger...
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:50 PM »
i called them today and got ahold of them.. the woman said she would send out new blades tomorrow on ups... and she wanted to know where i got it .. i told her ebay and she wanted to know if it was a ebay business or a random guy.. of course it was an ebay business !!  ::) lol

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:57 PM »
i know i talking baout gass auger here, but hear me out.  i have a mag2000 (non-lazer blades) and my buddy has the laser.  his cuts ice considerably quicker with much less effort, but as the blades begin to reach the water, there is a little more resitance, and it feels likethe auger is actually pulled down a few inches, then released.  make sense.

i think you are feeling the same thing with you hand auger.  the blades must act differently when they are cutting on a corner of ice (the bottom edge) rather than a flat smooth section of ice.

but.... try to get SM to give you new blades.

good luck
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline tj84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2009, 11:16 PM »
buy a fin bore problem solved :)

Offline beagledogxxx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:29 AM »
Nils Master

Offline edmonds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:34 AM »
Buy a Nils

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:42 PM »
if i just bought a new lazer i must not have wanted to buy a diff. name brand..   if i was to get rid of this lazer id get another mora ...  strike master blades can be bought locally in a emergency second..

Offline disccrusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hooke 'em & gut 'em
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:17 PM »
I have me one of those lasers and it does try to catch on the way through, I found if i ease up on the last part of the cut my aug goes through easier, i also will take a half turn backward  and restart with little pressure i cut through pretty good. There is a world of diff from the 6 in to and 8 inch. good luck hope the new blades work for you. Scott
So far behind i think i'm first !!!

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2009, 01:23 AM »
Had the same problem with my 8" Lazer Mag Express.  They sent me new blades and that fixed the problem.  Cuts like a million bucks now!!  Should never have had the problem in the first place but they did make it right at no cost to me!!  f-n-f

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2009, 06:38 AM »
My 6" lazer has drilled over 100 holes since xmas and I haven't had one problem.  The only problem I had is when my brother never put the cover on.  Needless to say he now uses the old mora, and let me tell you.. he's not happy. 

Maybe you guys are getting hung up on the bottom of the ice because the average person is usually tired by the end of drilling the hole.   ???   :D   ;)  haha

Pool 9 Pro

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #39 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:07 AM »
My 6" lazer has drilled over 100 holes since xmas and I haven't had one problem.  The only problem I had is when my brother never put the cover on.  Needless to say he now uses the old mora, and let me tell you.. he's not happy. 

Maybe you guys are getting hung up on the bottom of the ice because the average person is usually tired by the end of drilling the hole.   ???   :D   ;)  haha

Tired, HA HA HA ;D ;D ;D  I use a milwaukee 18v lit-ion Drill  ::) 30 plus hole per batt. and the drill still bites with the old blades, bought new blades will be changing today, was too cold on the ice yesterday, beside I was too busy fishing.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline comicdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:33 AM »
I bought my auger at L&M last year. Dug holes the first two days I had it. Third day, one of the blades comes off in a hole. Since I had no holes I went to L&M and they replaced the blades. That cost me a day of fishing.

Two weeks later, I bought a Strikemaster extension. Was cutting a hole and blades stuck just as it was breaking thru the ice. Was trying to free the auger and the extension "twisted". It was broke and no use after that. Took it back and L&M gave me my money back. Took the $ and bought a nice local made extension. Works great.

Third trip this year, my buddy yells to me .... "Hey, the handle broke!". Went over and be damned, the handle was broken. Went do to BSU Hardwater Classic yesterday early so that I could talk to the Strikemaster guys. They ignored me until I got in the way and asked for help. Then the guy gives me crap about my extension and tells me he can't help me.

Guess I'll have to call Strikemaster. I know some of you are happy with your augers, maybe I just got the unlucky one.

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:15 PM »
man these aurgers suck the dang rubber thingy that holds the cover on broke today! i have used this auger on 3 trips and the cover is broke and it wont hardly cut a hole!!

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Not happy with my 7"..Same problem binding at the end of the hole and a beeotch to get back out..Sent SM an email..We'll see what happens.
Also, icing is a problem too..Couldn't drill a hole yeaterday..It just kept sliding..
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2009, 02:43 PM »
i just bought a new 8" lazer hand auger i have the same problem at first i thought it was that the blades where to sharp but i'v used it quit a bit and no improvment next time i'll buy a gas auger

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Make shure you don't put mcuh down pressure on the auger. I've noticed if I push down a little too much it will grab at the end. Try using little to no downpressure and just turn the auger faster.

The cover on the Lazer is actually very good. You should use the cover on the Nils auger, I don't think Nils could have found a worse cover for the auger.

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:02 PM »
Sorry about the auger,, Listen to ME!!!! sell the Strikemaster on ebay. If you fish for Panfish, jigging only buy the best NILS MASTER 4.5 it cuts like butter if you are a tip up man get the NILs 6 problem solved...I have owned them all and any Strikemaster aka Lazer owner that tryed my Nils  have sold the lazer and rebought the Nils good luck

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Okay, here's my take on the situation:

I got a brand new 8 inch Lazer, and it just didn't cut right. So I e-mailed Strikemaster, and they sent out a new set right away. Didn't make a difference. Thing still didn't cut right...would take 5 minutes to cut through 18 inches of ice. I ended up giving the auger to a friend. A couple weeks ago, we were out and I forgot my new auger. All he had was the Lazer. I got looking at it, and wondered if it wasn't the blades at all, but rather the angle of the auger itself. I cut up a beer can and flattened out the aluminum. Took the blades off and placed the aluminum between the blades and the bit. Tightened it back up and tried it again...cuts like a charm! Experiment with your blades and shims. Angle is everything, and it might not just be the blades.

-Zach

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:08 PM »
well said Zach.  My one buddy got new blades for his 7" lazer and it still wouldn't cut, the angle was off slightly.  Seems to be common with those lazers.

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:37 PM »
my new blades from Sweden are SWEET!!  they are alot better, you can see the china blades are made wrong...
i couldn't imagine using a 4-6 inch hole.. i always fished an 8 inch hole and now with this 7 inch a now using a vex i couldn't imagine having a fish and transducer in a 6 inch hole...  and i fixed my cover..  took a bungee cord and cut the ends off and knotted it on the ends and it works better then the rubber one...

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Does anyone have the customer service for strikemaster??  I thought I read it in this post but I couldn't find it.  thanks

Offline mako003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Im hearing and I agree I just started in this hobbie didnt have a clue pickup a mora 7 in 10 bucks great I thought till I used it
2nd stop took it to a friends shop that sharpen tools blades were shot

he then made me 2 blades on his cnc machine he did something with the pitch  of the angle of the blade

cut 9  holes 12inches thick in 15 min now I like this auger   the problem is in the china steel

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:08 PM »
I wish I had a friend who could just machine me some new blades lol
Get the flag!

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Does anyone have the customer service for strikemaster??  I thought I read it in this post but I couldn't find it.  thanks
This is the number I got and called at Strikemaster when I had problems with my new augers blades.  Call  763-263-8999 and ask for Cy back in the shop.  They sent me new blades and that fixed the problem.

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Thanks Fin-n feather

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Buy a Nils 8". Drill a hole in the ice. Drop the Lazer thru the hole, when it hits bottom, use it for structure and keep the Nils  ;D

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 07, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Honestly I was going with the Nils from day one, but after being slow with work for 8 months, the extra funds just were not there.  I got the Lazer for 60.00 bucks!!  I have used both all season, along with my 15 year old Mora.  My fishing buddy has a 6 inch nils and the other a 7 inch lazer.  The both cut awesome.  The nils no doubt a little less effort, but not that much that I had to have a Nils.  I can wait another year or two as long mine works like my buddies.  Shoot, for that matter my Mora with new blades cuts like a champ too!!

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 07, 2009, 01:47 PM »
Honestly I was going with the Nils from day one, but after being slow with work for 8 months, the extra funds just were not there.  I got the Lazer for 60.00 bucks!!  I have used both all season, along with my 15 year old Mora.  My fishing buddy has a 6 inch nils and the other a 7 inch lazer.  The both cut awesome.  The nils no doubt a little less effort, but not that much that I had to have a Nils.  I can wait another year or two as long mine works like my buddies.  Shoot, for that matter my Mora with new blades cuts like a champ too!!
Don't mind me, I'm just poking some fun as I'm feeling sorry for myself cuz I'm stuck working today, and can't fish tomorrow.
 I was lucky, got my nils from Cabelas when they sent the "spend so much, get so much off" cards last season. throw in a couple of gift cards I had laying around and it made it easier getting one.
 As long as we get our holes in the ice, its all good brother!   :)

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 07, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I hear you!  Just getting on the ice is what its all about! :)

Offline Crawlerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2009, 05:39 PM »

I am not an expert but I have experience with the Mora 8 and the Lazer 8.

1) The mora is slower but takes much less effort to operate.

2) With good blades the laser seems to be almost twice as fast, but requires at least some down pressure at the start. After you get in about 4-6 inches or more the flights start to catch and draw the auger down requiring less down pressure as you go deeper. As someone else said you get tired as you go, but yeah I think at break through it can get different. But what I do is. Stop. take a breath. Then, put good down pressure and 1/2 revolution and 99% of the time she goes through no problem.

3) Yes the lazer definitely is much more prone to ice build up.
Usually it will spin with no bite. If really bad i sometimes dip it in an open hole and go. It will then start to bite again no problem. Usually.

4) Baby any of these-they are precision instruments. Especially the lazer. One or two dings and the laser is done. It won't cut.

5) In my experience the laser blades are touchy and don't stay sharp as long as the mora.

6) Never bang the heads on the ice. ALWAYS COVER THE HEADS WHEN NOT IN USE.

7) when you lay it down try to keep the bottom up out of the snow and slush to avoid buildup.

8) I have heard of people using a rubber mallet, but I would avoid it if possible and have yet to resort to that. Its better to flush with water or put in a warm environment, by a heater or something.

9) The first Mora I bought wouldn't cut period- I think somebody had returned it.

10) My lazer I bought like five years ago wouldn't cut period. I had to have them send new ones. Both said Sweden on them.
         So you are not the only one with bad luck. Sometimes I don't think luck is the reason. This stuff is touchy. Shippers are careless and frankly I think quality control lacks at times.

11) When in doubt change the blades. It's almost always the blades.

12) Since I bought the lazer in the last five years I have changed the blades at least twice and my buddy has not had to change his Mora blades during this period.

13) I think if I did it again I would buy another Mora for less money (between the two). Easier to operate,less blade changes so you save at the beginning and cheaper blades I think, and you change them less, so there is more money, you save.
 A little slower, so what.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:28 PM »
I have been eyeing this thread for awhile.
Here is my take.
I have owned a Mora 8" for the past 7 years. never had any problems except all the paint fell off anf it looked like hell that and you had to buy a new set of blades every season.

So I  got a 8" Lazer this year. And have been testing it so to speak.
No Complaints so far, it doesn't cut faster than the Mora or any better.. What I have noticed about this auger is that it is less prone to having the blades getting all banged up. It has a different design. You know how when you poke through  the ice and you pull your auger up through  a few times to clear some slush? Well the Mora has no guards in place to protect the blades from getting banged up when you are pulling it up through.

Those of you that have a Lazer look at the end of it. It has 2 flanges, (not sure itf that is what you would call them) that kinda extend out around the bottom of the blades for when you are pulling it back up through the hole.. These flanges hit the bottom of the hole before the blades do when pulling it up through.

I think the LAZER name is more of a gimmick. It doesn't cut any faster or better but the blades will last twice as long. But considering the blades for a Lazer are more expensive than the Mora it is somewhat of an oxy moron..

China, Sweeden whereever the blades are made I realy think it doesn't matter, you realy are not going to have 2 Identicle augers when it comes down to blade pitch ECT. In the manufacturing world there are tolerances that are acceptable, and as many of these things are made I'm sure 1 out of every hundred are checked to see if they fall within tolerance. Hence a dozen or so ( per hundred) that fall through the cracks and get shipped out that aren't perfect. They know it , it's why they are so willing to ship out a set of blades for free.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.