Author Topic: New Lifetime Event  (Read 914 times)

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
New Lifetime Event
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:18 PM »
Just got back from trip of a lifetime, to S. Dakota, last weekend. 3 of us all new biggest perch lifetime, with 2 lb leader 14.75". Two of us, had first iced walleye. Met fellow I.S. forum contributor BojiHawk, who was gracious enough to haul us out to "the" spot on Saturday. Turned us on to techniques, that made a difference. What a "Great new acquaintance"! Hope you all can have the chance to meet him, and fish the hard water with him. BH caught his best walleye (ice) that day 4.5 lbs. (nice fish man), and his friend Aaron, caught a 14.25"? perch (his best), and if it weren't for gravity, we'd all floated back to the hotel that evening.. We had a fantastic time, thanks to good ice, great catching, great camaraderie, good weather, and "paying it forward"!!!

can't wait for the return trip!
Herm Krepel

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Lifetime Event
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:33 PM »
We were also up there and had a trip of a lifetime also.  There was only 3 of us but caught the best and the most perch that any of us has ever caught.  Was gracious enough to run into and meet Boji at the gas station saturday morning, just long enough to meet share a couple stories then go fish.  We fish the South East end of the lake so didn't see him on the ice.  Congrats to a great for you and hope you get a chance in the future to make more.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:39 PM »
It was one for the books sir.  I had a great time and I can say with 100% certainty that I have never had a group of guys "regroup" at the end of the day and everyone is talking "the biggest one ever".  I didn't see what I would call "the fish" with the 2 lb. 14.74" perch mentioned. 

I think this is the part when I say how great it is to "pay it forward" to other anglers and how their smiles and stories of a lifetime have become mine.  Buckets of fish, plenty of pix, permanent memories.  If you are in the position sometime to share with others...I highly recommend it.  Made some great friends and I know that the karma will come full circle....like the perch that wouldn't fit on the bottom of the 5 gallon pail.   We are going to have to try it again...topping it would be hard for sure.  but I'm up for a challenge. 

BTW - The Galley is a great spot to stay.  Highly recommend it to everyone.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:37 AM »
Sounds like a blast, which lake?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:00 PM »
We were on Bitter...stayed in Webster.  Heard the past few days Bitter has idled down a bit.  I'm sure it will be up again just as quick. 

One thing about that lakes system (Bitter, Waubay, etc) is that kind of off / on bite is typical.  One day Bitter is coughing up fish, then Waubay, then Lynn, etc.  You really have to listen to other anglers and hitting the cleaning house to find out info from other guests can be very helpful somtimes.  Other times, you can repunch the same holes from the day before and get nada.  Moving, drilling, and working hard and not getting comfortable sitting in a shack will produce more fish up there.  But...sitting in a warm shack and just hanging out is pretty fun as well for some people.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:09 PM »
I agree with boji on this one for sure, keep moving. The fish are biting somewhere, if not in your hole move and find em. Is hard work sometimes but worth the reward!

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:27 PM »
I'm jealous! Can't wait til next winter to do some trips! At least get on the ice while it's open here.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:36 PM »
Aside from moving holes...moving lakes isn't a bad idea either.  Watch the ramps around noon.  If people are bailing off the lake...drive to a ramp.  Ask people how they did.  Limits of 15 perch by noon aren't impossible for a few guys, but normally a mass migration off a lake means people are moving.  If they say "It's slow...we got a couple" or whatever...ask where they are going and why.  You might get a guy to tell you his buddy is up slaying them on Waubay or whatever.  (nothing against anyone or any state, but I find people that share my same license plate are more willing to give up info.  I don't blame locals or anyone for being tight lipped.  If someone does give you info, best to not tell the next 20 people coming off the lake.  I'm not saying be stingy about info....but don't take a good deed and turn it into a bad deal). 

And don't get all focused on one species...change up tactics.  If the perch are slow on the day bite, I've had great luck at sundown on many many lakes up there near islands and saddle areas at sundown.  Tip-ups with large minnows are great ways to cover multiple depths around an area and most those lakes hold good populations of walleyes.  You might get a few pike as well with some chubs or smelt.  Better to get there at 2 pm and drill about 50 holes across some breaks, sunken islands, etc.  Also, use old maps to find what lies beneath these 15 foot bays.  Some of them are less than 5 years old and you can find old roads and such.  We didn't know it, after checking my GPS with an old chip (2005 - so 2003 info probably) we got our perch on the edge of an old slough - now under 22' of water.  Walleyes came off a point that is now under 8 feet of water, but dropped off to 18.  So, in 2004, the 8 foot stuff was a shoreline that dropped into 10 feet.  Could there be a better walleye funnel?  Dumb luck we set up on it.  Just use any and all info and tools and put some thought into it.  Everyone here has some insight into the habits of these species.  A little thought...a few toys to help...and you've probably increased your chances ten fold.

best piece of advise I can give you is to get on google maps and terra server and look at those images.  Most are dated by at least a few years.  You could find old cattle tanks, fence rows, wallows, etc. from the farms that stood on the shores of these lakes just a few years ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.