Author Topic: to finesse or not to finesse?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Ice_Stalker

• IceShanty Rookie
to finesse or not to finesse?
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:31 PM »
I guess I am a bit weird, but I am only confident in using super tiny jigs.  I hate to use anything bigger than a size 12, and my favorites are 3mm Fiskas with tiny plastics.  I ordered some cool jigs and stuff from yourbobbersdown and Kodiak, and they look cool, but I really have a hard time using the bigger stuff.  Any suggestions?
Catch.Reel.Release...R epeat as needed.

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: to finesse or not to finesse?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:33 PM »
If you have anything bigger then 12 and you dont like it then send them to me
I have no problems using bigger ones ;) ;D

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:43 PM »
If you have anything bigger then 12 and you dont like it then send them to me
I have no problems using bigger ones ;) ;D
That's a good idea, we can start a jig rescue operation for jigs that need new homes ;D I'm sure there will be many good samaritans waiting in line to help this worthy cause :angel
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline miller326

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kill'em ya grill'em
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Sweedish pimple for the Crappie :P

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:16 AM »
I wouldn't fret it. I too luv using super tiny jigs when targeting the pannies. I wouldn't say that I am confident only using small jigs as I have two boxes full that range in size from #6 to #20 and do well on all. I suit the size to the fishes mood. If they are active and hitting anything or the water is off colored, then I'll use larger jigs only because they provide a bigger target and help the fish in locating them. But in uber-clear water or the fish are very tight lipped, I won't hesitate to drop down to some of the smallest jigs I have and finess the fish into biting. It is exciting to pull up slabs using #1 line and a tiny #20 jig. I think too that with the smaller sized lures, you don't need to impart as much action to them since they are so small that the tiniest quiver starts them dancing.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:07 AM »
I guess I am a bit weird, but I am only confident in using super tiny jigs.  I hate to use anything bigger than a size 12, and my favorites are 3mm Fiskas with tiny plastics.  I ordered some cool jigs and stuff from yourbobbersdown and Kodiak, and they look cool, but I really have a hard time using the bigger stuff.  Any suggestions?
That makes 2 weirdos 'cause I only use 12's, once in awhile 10's on the gills. During the winter bite,fish are less hungry and aggressive as we know. I just make sure the jigs I'm using are good and sharp and they'll stay on.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:42 AM »
I hear you. I have 5 jig boxes packed with all sizes and styles of jigs and I seem to always end up using a 3mm gold fiska or similar sized jig. haven't put any plastics on them. I will have to try that

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:11 AM »
I only go tiny when I have to. I don't like the added time it takes to get a small jig down when it is not neccesary.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:19 AM »
If tiny jigs are what you are comfortable fishing with use them. They are probably a confidence factor for you. I think I would try something different once in a while to see if I could get used to it. At one time I had never jigged spoons while ice fishing and once I tried it I found that I liked it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:00 PM »
12's and 14's with plastics.
Shut up and fish.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:15 PM »
I only fish for Manly fish and use jigs up to 2 ounces!!!!    ;D

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:37 PM »
I'm quickly paring my jigs down to a single fly box (holds 100 or so jigs though).  I don't carry a jig bigger than sz 12, and down to sz 16.  If they are so finicky they won't hit a sz 16, I'm moving to find more active fish!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:42 PM »

Rip em like you're walleye fishin'.
Tip them with a minnow or 1/2 minnow or a bunch of spikes.

I finesse fish when it's necessary.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Ice_Stalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:55 AM »
Manly fish?  You forget I'm a musky fisherman, and I use 14" trout for bait! :tipup: ;D

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Manly fish?  You forget I'm a musky fisherman, and I use 14" trout for bait! :tipup: ;D

ROFLMAO Thanks, you made me spit coffee all over the keyboard. ;D ;D ;D

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:13 AM »
I'm a huge finesse fan,but when there pounding a 1/20 Frosty,Forage minnow or Demon spoon,its fun,they smack it hard.I like to give the fish what they want,the fish always let me know what they want.

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:21 AM »
90 pecent of a good day of fishing is 100 percent confidence in what u use for your bait

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:16 PM »
Stalker,
You can hardly fish deeper than say 20 ft with the little baits.  Just takes too long to sink in the deeper water even with light line.  When the fish are deeper, say 45 ft, and am talking perch now, perch that are fairly aggressive then you are wasting valuable time letting that little thing trickle down to them. 

Put on an 1/8 or 1/4 oz spoon or jigging rap and you'll see they like that too.  Have caught plenty that way.  And I do have the micro stuff too.  Expand your horizons.  Use your flasher to tell you where the fish are and then what kind of mood they are in with what you are presenting.  Be versatile and willing to learn what it takes to catch fish on any day out there.  The fish change and so should you if you want to see them flopping in the bucket.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Stalker,
I should have mentioned that if you want to keep the bait profile/size down but still have weight for deeper water then you should consider using Tungsten jigs.  This stuff is more dense then lead, so you get a faster sink rate for the same size bait.

There are a few companies that I know of that offer tungsten- Your Bobbers Down and Marmish.  Some of these come with no eyelet to tie onto but they show you how to attach to your line.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline sam heaton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2008, 02:39 PM »
     I've tried the small 1/64 etc. jigs. I still catch a lot more fish on a 1/16 oz. minnow head with a Midsouth Super Jig (1 3/4" tube). Probably a confidence thing.

Offline Ice_Stalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:56 PM »
Most of my small presentations are tungsten.  I really do most of my fishing in 20' or less.  Some late ice fishing I do on a deep clear lake (Geneva, WI) is 30'+, but the tungsten has no problems getting down there.  In that application I upsize to a size 8-10.  Thanks for the replies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.