Author Topic: 30 dollars to buy in jigs, what would you recommmend?  (Read 3552 times)

Offline r_carr

• IceShanty Rookie
Alright, I'm from N.H. and though I have tried it occasionally I really want to get into it more this year.  My brother gave me a thirty bucks to spend on ice fishign equipments.  I already ahve a few swedish pimples and a wide variety of varoius size jigs from jammin jigs.  I will be mainly targeting bass and perch on one stream and trout on another stream.  I would also like to target some pike when I am able to get to those lakes.  I have a medium jig a whopper rod and a wide collection of tip-ups.  I know i fish for a variety of species but I am a generalist.  I'll be fishing mainly from a clam 2000 using a mora 8' auger.  Any advice on tackle>? I prefer quanity to quality, and one giant pike, bass or lake trout is worth more to me than a school of perch.  SHould I order more rods from jamming jigs, as I was impressed by their quality.  I know this is a very general question but just love knowing I have 30 to spend just on tackle.  Thanks a lot guys. Buy some airplane jigs?  I know the lures from NSID are more for smaller fish but sometihg about them is alluring.  Anyone make less expensive but still effective alternatives to the rapalla jiggers.  Thanks a lot guys and in summary please let me know of a reasonable lure which will help me cathc the largest fish!

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 30 dollars to buy in jigs, what would you recommmend?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:28 PM »
i like coustom jigs n spin for panfish. also haili's r very popular with perch. look around in the perch section in the fourms. lost of info there. but for pike most prefer live or dead chubs.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2006, 06:50 AM »
I'll second haili's, what type of trout do you jig for? For pike, you can try deadsticking a minnow, or an airplane jig, or larger swedish pimples..Their really not picky!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2006, 06:07 PM »
R-carr

Pike, bass and lakers can generally be caught on the same type of jigs / lures just a bit larger for the pike and lake trout than for the bass. If it is legal in your area, all 3 of these fish should go for a live or frozen minnow or smelt placed on a singe hook or a quick-strike rig. If you would like to jig for them, whistler jigs by northland are a good one to try as well as off set spinners. Off set spinners can be added to any jig head to create flash and vibrations.

Glow colors are another good thing to have on a jig head or spoon. Again Northland has some good choices, like the forage spoon and buck-shot rattle spoon. Larger sizes for the pike, bass and lake trout and smaller for the rainbows perch and other panfish.

Another jig with a neat jigging /tail flipping action is called an odd' ball jig, they to come in an array of colors and sizes, just hook on a minnow or rubber jig and your set.

Storm lures offers a soft plastic horizontal lure called the Wildeye jigging soft minnow. It comes in 2 - 3 inch sizes with a number of different colors.

WW

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2006, 08:35 PM »
$30-...Bass and Perch....Go to the discount bin. I dont find that perch and bass are picky, and if you go to a discount bin you can get alot of different stuff, so you can experiment alot more than just buying 5 lures. Look into dropper rigs ( hali's are a great lure for perch) and some jigs. I like just a normal jig and minnow for bass in the winter, for perch cut that minnow in half. I like having a variety so I try and get the cheaper stuff for perch.

Robin

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:08 PM »
I prefer quanity to quality, and one giant pike, bass or lake trout is worth more to me than a school of perch. 

I am confused by your question.  You prefer quantity to quality (large fish/trophies), and yet all the advice that has followed has igored your prefence...? Or maybe I'm not reading the responses right....it's been known to happenb,

MD.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2006, 09:29 PM »
alright i am also from nh. if your targeting fish on streams this year.
 you best be very carefull, after you wait a  month.
 i think you should follow you uncles directions.

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2006, 10:55 AM »
Take a close look at Jammin Jigs

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2006, 05:03 PM »
I do the best on Demon Drops & Fat Boys (the jigs ... not Harley's). I have a good selection of Hali's but have yet to get them to work for me. Colors I have the best luck on are the White & fluorescent yellow or green and non-fluorescent green in various patterns.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline r_carr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:46 PM »
Thanks a lot fo the replies. First, I apoligize for saying I maily fish streams, I meant lakes/ponds.  As Rob-s pointed out it would be very dangerous to fish from streams anytime soon. I feel like the ice will never come! A few mentioned swedish pimples and I have a decent supply and looking forward to trying them out.  I don't have any jigs by Northland and think I will def. try a few if I can find a decent deal. I'm also def. going to pick up some quick strike rigs. Appreciate all your comments and Mainedog is right, I am mainly looking for larger fish. I am relativevly new to ice fishing but fairly experienced fishing otherwise.  A lake right next to me has some monster bass, for the area, which I will be fisihing several times a week. I will also be going to the lakes regision for lake trourt etc. and near my girlfriend right on the connecticuit river for some pike maybe once a week. I don';t have grad. school classes for a few weeks and am hoping the weather will cooperate while I have the time.  I think I'm going to order some more spoons from jamminjigs as they have provided great service. I'm also thining about ordering some jigs from mitchsminner on e-bay.  He has some interesting airplane jigs and what he calls "vertical dragon flys".  Very nice guy to talk to and I'll let you know how it goes if we ever get some ice! He is developing his site http://www.cdlures.20m.com/dragonfly.html  and though I have not actually placed an order I will let you know how it goes. The longer I wait for ice the more ice lures I buy. I also have to say that duck doctor from www.fairchaseguideserv ice.com has been giving me some good advice and has offered to take me fishing soon. I'll let you know how that goes too. Nice to see so many people with similiar interests, especially so many around New England. Hopefully in a month or two I'll be posting picks of some monster lakers and pike and maybe even being nice enough to let you know which tackle worked the best!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:02 PM »
For large lakers and pike, you should definately have a couple bucktail jigs too.  A few sizes/colors, but if you do only pick up one or two, you should get them with white bucktail.  Tipped with a large minnow, smelt, or sucker strip, its a traditional and effective jig for lakers and pike as well.  A couple airplane jigs wouldn't be a bad choice either. Buckshot rattle spoons are a great lure for everything too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.