Author Topic: 13 Fishings New ice rod called The Tickle Stick  (Read 33349 times)

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 13 Fishings New ice rod called The Tickle Stick
« Reply #60 on: Oct 29, 2014, 04:54 PM »
I ordered  one each of the L and UL 27'' from Cabelas and one was delivered  broken, after looking at the other rod it looked like it would not last very long out on the ice so i took them back.

The tip is very soft and the rest of the rod seem to stiff for fishing for crappie and gills, I like a rod that well load up nicely

Hope to here how they hold up, maybe I will reconsider

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Oct 31, 2014, 10:13 PM »
What would be the best length and power to get in the TS? I mainly fish bluegill, crappie and perch. I would like to be able to use jigs and spoons with one rod.  ???

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Nov 01, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I would say a 27" L.   I have the UL and I think spoons will be too heavy for it.

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Nov 01, 2014, 02:33 PM »
Do you think that will be to stiff for small jigs? Th spoons would be panfish spoons like the smaller Swedish pimples.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Nov 01, 2014, 04:09 PM »
I'll try and get a picture later.  A 3mm tungsten jig puts a slight load on it, with the jig out of water.

I'm guessing even a #3 pimple will make it curl.

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:38 PM »
OK Thanks for the info.

Offline zoombaiter25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Got my hands on one last night at a Gander Mtn. I think it's worth every cent of $50. I wanted to try a Thorne Bros or TUCR rod but they cost too damn much! :'(
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...
and try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" ~ Ron White

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:52 AM »
I agree with it being worth every cent of $50 bucks as well.   The quality of the rod is amazing.  And rods do break in shipping.  You should see how the UPS/Fedex people handle packages.  Your mouth would drop they just toss the packages around like footballs.  That is why things break in shipping.  Ice rods and tiny and fragile.  If one is handled wrong of coarse it is going to break, you cannot judge getting something broken in the mail on the quality of it's build.  As for ones people are seeing in the store broke, that is because other people are going and bending them to much in the stores and breaking them because its a new product and people are testing it out.   The real test won't come until people are actually catching fish with them.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:10 PM »
I just received a rod from Cabela's and it was broken.  It was packaged terribly,  sent it back hopinng they take care of it. Mine was a McGill Wright and was surprised how easily it broke due to the poor packaging. :tipup:

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:15 PM »
See not just the tickle sticks.  I received a rod from fishusa last year that was broke because of bad packaging.  They sent me a new one and had me send back the broken one, they even included a return packaging label.  FISHUSA is a quality company with excellent customer service.  But honestly there really is not good way to package ice rods besides maybe vacuumed sealing them in a hard plastic package to prevent the rods from being able to bend and then packaging that with plastic air bags in a box and foam peanuts, but those things are just horrible for the environment so i frown upon companies that use them.

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:03 PM »
I was packing a brand new Tickle Stick 23SUL, ready to fish,  into my pack and somehow the line got caught up into another setup.  The last 2-3 inches got bent so severely that the tip was touching the rod in the first 2-3 inches!  Hard to explain, but the rod tip formed a loop about 1" in diameter.  I shrieked as I knew I had broken it for sure since it is so sensitive.  I got it out of the bag and the tip end just sprang right back to normal!  I could not believe that it was not damaged!  In the tradition of "you can't fixed stupid", I actually did the same thing a second time when repacking it!!!!!!!  Still no issue.  And no, I did not take a picture of it as I could see a $50 bill going away without my even using the rod.  It did bend in the intended direction which might have been the only saving grace,  but I have NEVER seen such a tight rod bend without breaking - in fact I have never seen such a tip bend that much in my life.  It was like wrapping the rod tip around your finger like a ring.  If this is how durable the rod tip is, I am sold.  Still have not used it for fishing so can't comment further on durability or sensitivity.  The factory packaging for the rod is less than ideal for sure - should be suspended inside a tube like the St. Croix Legends were(are?).  Just sayin'.

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Nov 15, 2014, 06:49 PM »
I just picked up a Tickle Stick UL for perch and paired it with a Abu Garcia reel - pretty sweet set up!  This is gonna be a great rod if it lasts.  I gave the display model a good "in-store bending" and it does seem very well made.  The only that I don't like, not that it's bad, but the handle set up - I wish instead of the hard plastic they would have made it exactly like the Wicked13 rod and reel combo.  I have that one too, and it's just perfect IMO. My St. Croix rods may not get used much this winter.... ::)
How long is a piece of string?

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:36 AM »

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:13 AM »
I myself picked up the 27'' UL ticklestick this year, I stated once in a different post that its no custom by any means but im still impressed with it, not real fond of the small eyelets though, its not going to be an outside shrieking cold kind of rod IMO. But nonetheless i purchased it for the girlfriend to use when she goes on outings with me. Will be a great first rod for her, and Im excited to test it out haha. Its definitely going in the rod case and on the ice with me every time. I do think it will be very durable, EXCEPT.... If you notice how the rod is shaved.... if there is too much inadvertent side load on the last 4-5 inches I feel thats whats going to cause breaks. But normal loading as an awesome action. Cant wait to see how it performs for the woman!!

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:28 AM »
Got myself the same. I had too much other gear to buy this year to afford buying a nicer custom rod.  Maybe next year.

The eyelets are somewhat concerning, but we will see how they work out.  I have a Thorn Bros rod on usually use for hole hopping, so it may end up being used as a hut rod if I have problems.

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Well, I used the Tickle Stick yesterday - very sensitive, good back bone for a UL.  Problems:  guides did ice up outside, looks to be a heated shelter rod only, no biggie as that's where I am most of the time.  Also, the back 1/3er'd of the reel seat (the part you twist to tighten the reel) is hollow, I can feel the cork want to push/crush in.  So I compared my Wicked13 rod (same reel seat design), it was solid.  Maybe it's just my rod, check yours.  Bummer as this is a good rod but I don't think the twist part of the reel seat will last too long...
How long is a piece of string?

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Nov 24, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Well, I used the Tickle Stick yesterday - very sensitive, good back bone for a UL.  Problems:  guides did ice up outside, looks to be a heated shelter rod only, no biggie as that's where I am most of the time.  Also, the back 1/3er'd of the reel seat (the part you twist to tighten the reel) it hollow, I can feel the cork want to push/crush in.  So I compared my Wicked13 rod (same reel seat design), it was solid.  Maybe it's just my rod, check yours.  Bummer as this is a good rod but I don't think the twist part of the reel seat will last too long...

I just checked mine and it sure is hollow in the last third. Like you, I don't think this will hold up. I wish I had noticed this before I bought it. Very disappointing, especially compared to the Wicked 13 which I really like.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:16 AM »
I got one too, haven't used it.
I vote recall  ;D

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Just got the 27" L today. They didn't have theUL just the SuL. And that seemed way to flimsy. Hope toy it out tomorrow
fish on!!!

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 04, 2015, 05:25 PM »
So its been more than a month now. What are the opinions from people who've fished with them. I saw one today at Fleet Farm. This seemed more like a dead stick for walleye instead of a panfish rod to me.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #80 on: Feb 04, 2015, 10:41 PM »
It's a perfect rod for fishing in general, i caught a ton of panfish on it and a few trout here and there! Gets the fish right away!
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:20 AM »
Haven't used mine much, too paranoid about breaking it. 

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:27 AM »
Haven't used mine much, too paranoid about breaking it.

I have two of them and I am in the same boat...I use rod sleeves to cover them but still not real confident............. ......

Not so sure if I am 100 percent sold on them or not.......I think it is a good dead stick rod but the soft tip takes away sensitivity when jigging...

Offline IFallThroughForFun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Managed a beast on this rod the other day paired with a shimano sienna 500 and 3lb fluro. I have came to really enjoy this rod as my #2, you have to set the drag correctly or it will snap the rod in half. As for panfish, I think the lighter tip help sets the hook slower. In other words it doesnt rip your jig out their mouth.

Most of my rods would break in transport. See the method below i use to store my UL rods, paired with any storage case.

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Used mine several times now. Caught panfish with it and some 18" trout, it works well. Only con I see is the eyes are so small if you are not in a heated shanty and ice gets on your line it will not go through the eyes. This could be a big problem. Not sure why they made the eyes so small. Had this happen one day we did not have the shanty and the temp dropped, had to hand line some fish. :%$#!:

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I can't imagine why anyone designing an ice rod would put those eyelets on a rod!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #86 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:23 AM »
I checked them out at the store and 2 on the rack were broke :-\
I'll stick with my meat sticks!
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline bikingviking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:09 PM »
I can't imagine why anyone designing an ice rod would put those eyelets on a rod!

That's exactly what I said! Makes ya wonder if the guys that designed it have ever ice fished??

Other than that, they're pretty awesome rods. A little overpriced but they're my go-to when fishing in the shelter. I have the L and UL 23". I use the L for small spoons and heavier jigs and the UL for small jigs. I haven't experienced any of the durability issues that some people are concerned with. Guys....its a panfish rod with a sensitive tip....you can have sensitivity or durability, you can't have both!

They need to make a tickle stick 2.0 with bigger guides and a $40 price tag instead of $50. That'd be tough to beat

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Sep 23, 2015, 08:50 PM »
this rod is garbage had 2 break on me at the tip...of course fish usa replaced the first one and refunded the 2nd one no questions asked.  which is why i will continue to buy from them, its not their fault 32 degrees made a garbage product, but to everyone else dont waste your money.  #winteriscoming

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #89 on: Sep 24, 2015, 03:29 AM »
Got two of 'em last season and used both quiter a bit on pans, great Crappie rod.  I like them a lot but I fish in a shanty nearly all the time.  I like it warm ;)
I can see where some folks would not like the eyes and they are fragile, especially at tip - definittly not a rod for everyone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.