Author Topic: Tungsten ice jigs size comparison  (Read 11676 times)

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tungsten ice jigs size comparison
« on: Nov 04, 2011, 05:39 PM »

.A little comparison. For the money, the sportsmandirect seem to be the best bargain, i havent fished with them yet to attest to durability.The Bentley by far are the nicest looking ones, but they are the MOST expensive also.  The bentley run a little small, i would say the extra small bentely is between a 2.5-3mm fiska, and the small is a tad bigger than a 3mm fiska. I didnt get any of the larger bentley to compare,but  im guessing the medium  and large would be close to the 4,5 fiskas.  I can say that sportsmandirect and bentley have superfast shipping. The northlands by far are the cheapest looking ones and the cheapest to buy, but im sure the fish will not mind. They seem to be a little smaller than the fiska's size wise when comparing their small med large to 3,4,5s.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tungsten ice jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2011, 05:57 PM »
None that i use. Usually get metallic finish.

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tungsten ice jigs
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:10 PM »
None that i use. Usually get metallic finish.

it was just a size comparision some people were asking.........

Offline Fish2Win

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tungsten ice jigs size comparison
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:14 PM »
revpilot that was a huge help, that pic saved me some money. thanks

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:33 PM »
i was wondering how the bentley's and sportsmandirect jigs compared.  i havent yet bought either of them but considering it.  I am partial to the fiskas epoxies...just dumped another buck fifty on em ::)  i prefer the 4mm for better hook ups on larger gills and perch due the larger hook.  the 3mm has a tad to small of hook and wont quit go around them bulls lips.  i also have found with small hooks like 14/16 they hook up better when angled like marmooskas.

You dont by chance have any of the medium bentleys you could compare to 4mm fiska?  thanks for the comparisons
]

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2011, 06:44 PM »
There is a lot of talk regarding using tungsten jigs.  I understand they are heavier for the size, but even the "bigger" jigs seem very small.  Do you use these jigs on special jigging rods?  I can't imagine tying on a 3mm jig to a 28" pole/ul reel.
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2011, 07:10 PM »
good info and thanks for taking the time to save us all a few bucks before ordering  ;D

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2011, 07:56 PM »
There is a lot of talk regarding using tungsten jigs.  I understand they are heavier for the size, but even the "bigger" jigs seem very small.  Do you use these jigs on special jigging rods?  I can't imagine tying on a 3mm jig to a 28" pole/ul reel.

I use regular UL and Lite panfish rods for mine and sometimes pal rods. I even use some of the 2mm and 2.5mm jigs also. You need light line with them though.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2011, 09:34 PM »
thanx for the chart, very helpfull

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2011, 07:45 AM »
I'll use a 2.5mm on a 48" Ice Blue for hole hopping, just use ~6' of 1# flouro as a tippet and have no problems. Really don't like to go that small but if that's what you need to do then you do it........Very helpful comparison chart, thanks

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:55 PM »
one thing i learned about the tiny tungsten jigs is that with the tiny hooks (14-16) you dont hook up as well as with a bigger (10-12) hook, like someone stated earlier. Take a needle nose and open the gap of the hook up just a little bit and it will help a ton. You can bend it by grabbing the barb but it seems to work better if you put a small bend in the hook shank right where it comes out of the body of the jig just enough so the hook point isn't parallel with the jig body any more.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:37 PM »
Good point Mitch.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:32 PM »
I bend the hook open on every jig I buy, regardless of size. Just be aware the hooks break sometimes, especially non bronze hooks like the Wolfram jigs from YBD. I've broke several hooks on them bending them open farther but I just soldered on another hook and repainted the jig.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Pinching the barb down makes a lot of difference as well, especially with lighter lines and smaller hooks. Needle poke as opposed to needing to drive in a nail, they'll pull and keep themselves on. Consider a #14 hook as my standard, 10s and 12s are getting large for the finesse type presentations.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Fiska Wolfram 2.5mm - #20 hook, 0.358", 0.2gr (and they seem smaller than it sounds)......3mm - #16 hook, 0.405", 0.5gr........Never seen or heard of a 7mm or more but would like to, sounds like a summer killer

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2011, 06:43 PM »
i use them jigs alot, thanks for posting. big help. i never used the really small sizes.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2011, 12:02 PM »
Has anybody tried Eco Pro tungsten?  I just ordered 100 bucks worth of them in .8 & 1.6 gr.  Pretty decently priced...$1.46 for .8's & $1.99 for 1.6's.  Free shipping too. Ill post size comparison pic of them with other tungsten jigs when they show up.
]

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2011, 12:28 PM »
Considered buying/trying some, don't think they're even available until next month though. Looked like a decent Wolfram clone

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2011, 01:25 PM »
Says should be available Nov 30th
]

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Guys, I gotta tell ya............this thread has been a great help.

I enjoyed the size comparison and I agree with "carefully" bending the hooks out.

Has anyone noticed a big difference in the number of fish caught using the Bentleys with the swarovski crystals vs the other brands?

I plan to stock up rather well this year but they are "pricey"
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Guys, also enjoyed this thread. As you can tell by my handle, I am into gold prospecting. One thing I did the other day was to weigh my tungsten jigs on a gold scale. The results were interesting to me. I liked seeing the differences in jig weights of both tungsten and some of the lead jigs as well. Tight lines, Joe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.