Author Topic: Line with least "memory"?  (Read 2297 times)

Offline TipupMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Line with least "memory"?
« on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:34 PM »
What Line has the least line memory?

Offline TonyTheIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Line with least "memory"?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:15 PM »
What Line has the least line memory?
Dacron Braid

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:42 AM »
For monofilment or polymer variation get an actual ice line. They're made for the smaller diameter reels. Most brands have next door to none. Nearly all curling problems are from twisting more than from memory. New line for each season should eliminate any memory problems. I'll put on new line every month when I am going a lot.
I pay close attention when spooling new line to flip the spool when twisting begins to get it on the spool as straight as possible initially. With the very small diameter ice reels I can't spool up the same as I can with the larger open water reels. It really pays to put the extra time in putting line on right the first time.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:01 AM »
The combo I've used for several years now addresses both twisting and memory problems. I first spood my reels with 8# or 10# power pro, then add a good #12 barrel or ball bearing swivel (not a snap swivel). To that (for panfish) I add #2 or #4 yozuri-ulta soft as a leader (about 18"). For walleye same thing except I use 8# as a leader. If you choose not to use all mono or hybred type line then by ALL MEANS condition your line with Kevin VanDam's line and lure conditioner. It also helps alot with mono or polomer lines to tie the end to something pernanent and stretch the amount of line you'll be fishing with, that removes most of any line memory you have.
   good luck.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I like for eyes fire line with good swiv. with same line below 4lb but where I live eyes 5lbs are good ones been using it for years no problems and use 8lb for trolling

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I have had good luck with gamma esp in 1 2 and 3 pound also suffix ice magic in 1 2 and 3 but my favorite line is stren hi vis gold in 2 lb
Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.