New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092912 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
 Is anyone Fishing jn Dutchess and Ulster l County? I’d love to know just to get on the ice. I don’t wanna know about your honey holes.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Sm94427p

• IceShanty Rookie
Is anyone Fishing jn Dutchess and Ulster l County? I’d love to know just to get on the ice. I don’t wanna know about your honey holes.

im in langrageville and i was thinking of getting the kayak ready haha

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It’s getting very frustrating.  We are so close, but so far...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Small ...shallow ..private/no public access lakes and ponds have some fishable ice in lower Sullivan County..the larger public access lakes have a ways to go yet. Morningside park is a public lake and is pretty shallow but have not heard anything about ice conditions .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I drove past Morningside yesterday and did see a few groups out on the ice. No clue how thick it is but it was a promising sign. I hope to make my rounds this weekend but from what I am seeing with my local area ponds I don't hold great hope for any of the bigger lakes just yet.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Andrushkin

• IceShanty Rookie
Morningside had 3 to 4 inches of garbage ice. Friends were fishing yesterday.

Not my cup of tea, ill wait. If you desperate to get out head out to northwest. Fishable ice within striking distance.

Andre

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
polar vortex coming at the end of the month (I hope)

Offline ERIKP

• IceShanty Rookie
LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO FISH IN SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
« Reply #11197 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02:33 PM »
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WARE I CAN FIND SAFE ICE TO FISH IN SULLIVAN COUNTY NY

Offline EliotGValad

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO FISH IN SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
« Reply #11199 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:24 PM »
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WARE I CAN FIND SAFE ICE TO FISH IN SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
Good look, take a spud

Offline Sm94427p

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO FISH IN SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
« Reply #11200 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:44 PM »
look north or on small bodies of water if you have the itch bad enough

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Yesterdays winds opened up some previous iced over lakes ..still ice making temperatures in the forecast ..tread lightly and carry a spud/chisel . I am on the board with two dink perch for my 2021 season.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Thank you , Gamalot, Andrushkin and Hardwater diehard for the ice conditions reports and what you have observed while traveling around Sullivan County.
ERIKP welcome to Ice Shanty and the Southern New York thread. Just a suggestion depending on your location and how far you have to drive to reach Sullivan County you may want to wait until Sunday to go fishing and see what anyone posts tomorrow in this thread or in the Small waters/Sullivan County thread found in the New York reports& Conditions Forum.

Everyone have a good weekend rember your spud,ice picks and other safety gear if planing to fish this weekend.
 Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I would think Lake Superior in Bethel, or Waneta would have safe ice.  The forecast is pretty optimistic. Good luck this weekend and be safe.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 :-\
It’s getting very frustrating.  We are so close, but so far...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here is the latest ice report from my personal ride today, Saturday 1/9/21. Bring a boat and open water gear if you want to fish any of these bodies I personally went to today. White Lake, Swinging Bridge and Toronto are all still wide open water. There are guys out on Morningside with between 4-6 inches. Most of the small ponds I past by look to be locked up but most are private and I did not drill holes. My final pass-by was the Roundout reservoir and it is wide open just like the rest.
If you really need an ice fishing fix now then head north to much higher elevations but be sure to check those boards first before wasting your time.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you for the update.  I’m finishing the honey-do list to get out if we have safe ice locally.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 Superior had open water and people fishing on ice! Anyone ever fish Chestnut Ridge? It is behind Superior and is a walk from Puckyhuddle rd. I used to fish it a bit and it was rich with panfish and pickerel.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Back in the day I used to drive in the dirt road from Pucky whatever Rd. to Chestnuts south shore and fish it with my kickboat. Only twice. Haven’t been there in years since, has the road been gated?

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 Last year  the gate was closed.  Just was thinking about it when I was writing about  Superior. I was considering the walk. It's not too bad.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Superior had open water and people fishing on ice! Anyone ever fish Chestnut Ridge? It is behind Superior and is a walk from Puckyhuddle rd. I used to fish it a bit and it was rich with panfish and pickerel.
It’s got ice if you want to walk not picked clean like superior tho hopefully the walk keeps it that way superior has more ice on it then you think

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
It’s got ice if you want to walk not picked clean like superior tho hopefully the walk keeps it that way superior has more ice on it then you think
It looked like Superior had good ice where it had it. Lake Huntington was probably fishable on the "school side" where the ice has stayed. Just not enough by the launch. Wonder if no gas augers applies to chestnut?

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
It looked like Superior had good ice where it had it. Lake Huntington was probably fishable on the "school side" where the ice has stayed. Just not enough by the launch. Wonder if no gas augers applies to chestnut?
Rip the gas can’t see anyone bothering you, message me on how you make out up in there

Offline Goose1228

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi everyone. I have a question about live bait. Has anyone been stopped by DEC officers asking for a receipt for their live bait? I'm a little confused on the regulations. I was thinking about buying some bait in bulk for the winter from a tackle shop that I like to use near work in Connecticut and would be keeping them in a stock tank at my house. I read that the bait must be certified and a receipt within 2 weeks. If i buy the bait in bulk it would be for the season so closer to 1-2 months. Just trying to figure out if it's worth buying in bulk and if a receipt from the bait shop would be sufficient or if it's not worth it because of the regulations.
-Goose

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hi Goose, back a few years ago when they started that bait receipt regulation I was asked for it exactly one time by an ECO and have never been asked again. I won't tell you to go against the regs but I doubt you would even be asked. Another thought considering you are in fact buying certified disease free bait and have the receipt plus the fact you kept them quarantined in a home tank and not in a pond I would think a judge would toss any ticket you might get with a warning. This of course is just my opinion but I would do the same you are doing if I had a suitable tank set up. I often buy 3-4 dozen bait at a time and the guy at the bait store loads me up with probably 5-6 dozen. They live in my small 8 gallon bait bucket with air and regular water changes for a couple months easily. I just carry the original receipt and never worry about it.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Never been asked and actually asked myself if they wanted to see it and no was the response

Offline Goose1228

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Gam and greensider. That’s what I was thinking. I’ve personally never been asked for receipts for my bait.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hi everyone. I have a question about live bait. Has anyone been stopped by DEC officers asking for a receipt for their live bait? I'm a little confused on the regulations. I was thinking about buying some bait in bulk for the winter from a tackle shop that I like to use near work in Connecticut and would be keeping them in a stock tank at my house. I read that the bait must be certified and a receipt within 2 weeks. If i buy the bait in bulk it would be for the season so closer to 1-2 months. Just trying to figure out if it's worth buying in bulk and if a receipt from the bait shop would be sufficient or if it's not worth it because of the regulations.
-Goose
It's the law so you're always taking a chance. I have asked and they haven't wanted to see it.......and then they have also asked for it. It's a chance.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
I’m glad you guys had good luck with the DEC about bait recipes. I personally have have had the DEC ask to see my receipt on several occasions. I also believe the law is you can only have the amount of bait that is stated on your receipt. You can be fined for all bait fish over that amount . I have never had an officer count my bait but they could if they wanted to.
I’m m not saying you won’t get away with possessing expired bait, or that you will be asked to show a receipt but there is definitely a chance  you will be asked.
Just adding my two cents. As always check the state regulations or call your local DEC office.

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
I once had an officer ask me for my bait receipt. when i showed it to him he said it wasnt legal. it had the shop name and address on it but he said he would visit the shop and talk to the owner about it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.