The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Your 2006 Ice Fishing Agenda  (Read 7089 times)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Your 2006 Ice Fishing Agenda
« on: Oct 09, 2005, 12:53 PM »
   A new season is fast approaching. i am excited as usual and am deep into planning my ice fishing agenda. my goal last year of catching more lake trout was a flop as i didnt catch any lake trout in two seperate outings. this year my strategy has changed completely and i have added a flasher to my arsenal. so for 2006 my my main goal will be learning how to use this flasher and will stay mobile till i find fish. im sure ill get plenty of practice with the flasher as i run awat with the friday night crappie league Crown!!   
  anyway i thought it might make for an interesting thread to hear everyone elses goals for this coming season, and how have you adjusted your fishing to acheive those goals.

Offline Dogman-

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Neanderthal
Re: Your 2006 Ice Fishing Agenda
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2005, 04:16 PM »
My goal this season is to ice fish MORE than I did last year!!!
Make sure your brain is running before you put your mouth in gear.

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2005, 05:55 PM »
2 seasons ago I caught my first togue thru the ice, and later that yr caught a second.  The togue was 22 inches and while thats not huge it was the first fish I ever caught thru the ice that I couldn't bring to the hole on my own terms...it stopped me cold to the point where I didn't dare to pull any harder and then it began going in the other direction, pulling the line out of my hands. The line had instantly frozen to the ice (it was a brutally cold day) and I frantically  tried to get it into my hands again, watching the frozen zig-zags of line rip off the surface next to the hole, sure it would break.  Two such runs wore a notch into the bottom of the ice hole, as it was pulling in a sideways direction and I had to drive my whole arm coat and all into the water to free the line from that groove.

I instantly fell in love with a fish that could excite me and challenge me like that, and set out last yr to catch some togue.  My days on Green Lake were often cut short by the cold and wind, and no togue were caught last yr.

My goal this yr was to have a shelter on a togue lake so I could wait them out, and I have one now, built for that reason.  I want to catch some lakers, and will be looking for ways to increase my odds, knowing that it is a waiting game when done with tip-ups.

I have a friend who often jigs them instead of setting traps.  He has a power auger and a snowmobile and moves constantly, jigging different areas for 15-30 min before moving on.  Does real well.  I would think a flasher would add to that method and someday would like to get into it.  Sounds like something you are all geared up for now, Scott.

But for this yr I plan to stay out of the wind and WAIT OUT THE TOGUE!!!  Can't imagine what a 7 pounder or larger would be like.

One other goal is to catch some brookies, and I don't care if they are huge, so it means going to one of the ponds they stock in the late fall and getting some early action.  Went to one of these ponds that I had been told was fast action and got skunked because I waited til March.  They were slaying them in early Feb.

Fun to try and use the lessons of past seasons to become more successful. 

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2005, 12:31 PM »
to catch as many fish as my winter donut intake................ .... ;D
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2005, 01:30 PM »
I caught 11 touge last winter, 7 during the first weekend. The one that put up the biggest fight was the one that I caught thru the nostril. I think it would bring tears to my eyes if a hook was lodged in one of my nostrils. Anyways, that was the last weekend of the season and in twelve feet of water.

My plan this year it to buy a portable tent so that I can try other places. That is as long as I can afford the gas to get to other places. I'm glad that I bought the 350 Bruin last year, it is quite easy on the gas.
Steve

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2005, 04:37 PM »
i want to get a large muskie or pike through the ice and possibly get into some whitefish on st. froid. besides that i just want to catch fish!! hey scott come on up and ill get you some togue. may be some nice salmon too.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2005, 02:11 PM »
My 1st goal is to cut my 1st hole in ice by early December without my wife collecting on my life insurance.  After that, I plan to hammer away on the warm water fish until the Jan. 1 trout opener.  December is the month to ice big numbers, so I can have the patience for the generally slower trout bite come January.  Last year I put up about a dozen trout.  Would like 20 this year.  In March, it's back to chasing the pre-spawn warm water fish on rotten ice.  See if I can break some of the personal records I set on Maranacook.  Finally, I'd like to have some big days with some Ice Shantyers so folks don't think I'm delusional with my reports.  The outings I had last year with board members were always fun, but not real fishy.  Well, I guess at least Jacksmelt can vouch for me so far.   

Jim

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2005, 02:58 PM »
 jim ..i know i'm comin up your way...hope there is more snow than water this yr was a little soggy last yr when i made it up................. :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2005, 04:11 PM »
jim, i had a question i thought you might be able to help me with. with the addition of my flasher, i plan on jigging till my arm falls off where i have traditionally i have been a tipup guy. when i started slamming the crappie last year, it didnt take long to figure out what they like. i know youre a big warm water species guy and i know you jig like i plan to LOL my question is what are some of your better jigs for catching bass?i really want to fight some bass on my jigging rod. i can usually find em ok with the tipups but never spent much time jigging for them.hope we get some early ice  ;D

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2005, 05:25 PM »
Billditrite,

I caught alot of smallies on tricky last year on my jig stick just using either a #5 or #6 swedish pimple. its pretty sweet looking down the hole in the shack and watching a smallie nail it.

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2005, 06:36 PM »
Id have to agree about the bass on Tricky pond in Naples. If you want some decent size bass with a good chance at some Splake and Salmon  that is the place to go and go the first day> you may have to fight for elbow room, but it will produce some fish especially early. Oh by the way did i forget to mention the 9lb salmon caught there last year. I bet that would be fun on a jig rod eh :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :flex:
As a matter of fact we should get the IS boys from around maine together and hit it early on. Should be a great time. I think Swampbuck usually has a shack out there and maybe we could meet at his shack and everyone use that area as a starting point. That day on Sabattus with all the fellas was a great time and it much more fun fishing with a bunch of people. If you do go to Tricky early on in the season be super careful about going out into the middle as i have heard its really thin and dangerous out there and you may even see some open water. Well my goal for next year is to land a keeper salmon, but i dont know any good spots. :'(

ps Scott someday i want to see how a Flasher really works. I have some gift cards to Cabelas and may just cash in if i find it to be helping me catch more fish.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2005, 07:48 PM »
As a matter of fact we should get the IS boys from around maine together and hit it early on. Should be a great time. I think Swampbuck usually has a shack out there and maybe we could meet at his shack and everyone use that area as a starting point. That day on Sabattus with all the fellas was a great time and it much more fun fishing with a bunch of people.

thats a good idea i would like to hit trickey . i havent been in a couple years now.

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:15 PM »
I'm game but I got skunked at trickey last yr.................... .... :(
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:25 PM »
scott , you and jim otta come up and fish the western lakes with us 1st week in mar. we are renting some camps on spider lake. out4 trout will be there too. would love to see a school of whitefish on that flasher. should be pretty cool to see.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2005, 07:45 AM »
Scott, I use a lot of different jigs for my bass fishing.  The traditional Swedish Pimple will get them.  I find the 1/10 ounce size works best for me.  But I catch most of my fish on other types of small jigs.  "Hot Heads" and "Fat Boys" are 2 of the best for me in Sizes from 4 to 10.  Various colors work.  Orange, chartreuse, or green are good colors.  I tip the smaller size jigs with waxworm or maggot. Tip the larger size with a small lip-hooked shiner or shiner tail.  A good souce for these jigs is www.thornebros.com.   Dag's in Auburn used to have them, too.  I use light jig sticks and line (4-6 LB.) in my approach.  I could write about this forever, but have a better idea.  How about a day in the field on early ice on one of my home ponds?    I had Jacksmelt on one of these ponds a couple years back.  We popped 20+ bass on what was actually a slower day.  Early ice last year was unreal....50 fish day with the jigstick for me.  No way better to learn about bass jigging than a field trip.  If you're game, let me know!

Jim C.

jim, i had a question i thought you might be able to help me with. with the addition of my flasher, i plan on jigging till my arm falls off where i have traditionally i have been a tipup guy. when i started slamming the crappie last year, it didnt take long to figure out what they like. i know youre a big warm water species guy and i know you jig like i plan to LOL my question is what are some of your better jigs for catching bass?i really want to fight some bass on my jigging rod. i can usually find em ok with the tipups but never spent much time jigging for them.hope we get some early ice  ;D

Offline toguetaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is fishing!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2005, 08:10 AM »
  My goal for the year is to have my youngest catch a 10 pound togue. My oldest boy (15) has caught 2 and he has had anothe couple just under. Nothing like seeing a kid pull in a monster.....

Thank you to all my fellow Veterans

Offline loualbano

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • one tough day...........brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2005, 07:11 PM »
to catch as many fish as my winter donut intake................ .... ;D
sorry dave don't think that will ever happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2005, 08:47 PM »
Steve!! good to see you on here!! Looking forward to another get-together this winter!!

Scott Wright

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2005, 05:19 PM »
 I have big plans for this year. first and foremost i hope to make as many trips to Jackman as i can. i also plan to make it out to East/West Grand again. and of course I plan to fish some of the lakes in the Allagash.

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2005, 06:53 PM »
This year, having my legs back and a new job with Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays off, I hope to do some icefishing trips with some guys who know what's what in some of the lakes up north... hint, hint...

I also plan on night fishing for cusk in comfort on Thompson... putting the bigger shack there with a lantern and table for cribbage.
Scott Wright

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2005, 07:10 AM »
This year, having my legs back and a new job with Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays off, I hope to do some icefishing trips with some guys who know what's what in some of the lakes up north... hint, hint...

I also plan on night fishing for cusk in comfort on Thompson... putting the bigger shack there with a lantern and table for cribbage.
Did you say Cribbage?????? Scott we gotta get togather..
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2005, 07:17 AM »
Well folks its final this will be my last season on the ice and on april 1st I will be leaving the great state of Maine and heading south. I just got news yesterday that I have been offered a job in South Carolina in the north western corner welding for an awesome aircraft company named Peterson Avaition. So My adjenda has changed completly. My old 8x8 is gonna be on Moranacook which I will be fishing jan 1 until I get bored with it. My true goal is to get down south for the FNCL as often as possible and show you guys how its done (I know you dont want a minnesota boy to wax you guys in crappie points) Of course Sabbattus is gonna be my place to go this year and I dont expect to ever go back to the tacoma's again. (thank God) So between sabbattus pike, touge and fncl this should be a good year.
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2005, 07:49 AM »
well chad we are sure gonna miss you but ill bet the fish are sure relieved!!  :D 

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2005, 08:04 AM »
good luck chad........can't wait for waxin on maranacook...hope you have some left after crappie nites................. .... ;D ;D ;D
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Chad: We'll have to get the cribbage boards out for a Sabattus get together... ice fishing and cribbage... man, that's livin' ;D
Scott Wright

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2005, 05:47 PM »
You sure you want to add any more activities where you can get skunked?  LOL Chad, I've never met you but your posts on getting skunked a few times last year convinced me we'd get along just fine.  I worked out of town recently and one of our evening pastimes was cribbage.  I got DOUBLE SKUNKED in one game, I don't think you can do that fishing.

I am hoping to get south at least once and meet some of you, that's another 2006 goal.

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2005, 07:04 PM »

I am hoping to get south at least once and meet some of you, that's another 2006 goal.

That's one of my goals too, I just have too much on plate right now. At least I can pop in on this site once and awhile.

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #27 on: Oct 16, 2005, 07:38 PM »
I think a marancook get together would be nice...middle of the road for most...would be great to meet a few more................co unt me in....... :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2005, 10:23 AM »
I'll be out there as soon as possible.  The togue bite was good on early ice last year. 

Jim C.

I think a marancook get together would be nice...middle of the road for most...would be great to meet a few more................co unt me in....... :tipup:

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #29 on: Oct 17, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Hey guys and girls its been a while since ive talked ice fishing.  I am still working on the 2nd annual ice fishing tourny next year at horne pond in limington.  thats a year round thing anyways.  I would like to hook up with some of the boys at trickey this year the first day.  I fish it a lot and always catch little splake, but i never fish it early.  The tourny and the first day will probably be the majority of ice fishing for me this year.  My wife is pregnant with twin boys and we are have wome serious difficulties with them,  if they make it the will be delivered cecarian on december 23rd which is 8 weeks early.  so i should have my hands full for a while.  Plus i will be worn out by then since my wife is bed ridden for the next 9 weeks.  keep your fingers crossed. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.