The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Women falls through the ice on North Pond trying to save her dog.  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
Women falls through the ice on North Pond trying to save her dog yesterday around 10 a.m. She was about 250 feet off shore on the Mercer side near the island. The dog died. She was rescued 30 minutes later by Oakland rescue....Its on the front page of the onlinesentinel.com with pictures...

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
I would go after my dog in a heartbeat. Wouldn't think twice about it

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
Same here!!

Offline fishfreely

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Opening day 2011
x2
huntdeer

Offline Mainesalmonslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
x3

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
x2
x4 I saved my lab along time ago when she fell through thin ice on a river behind my grandfathers house. I tied a long garden hose around me and when I grabbed her leg I fell through and my dad and uncle pulled us to shore..Make sure you always have someone with you....

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
,we call them junk fish!

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
you can always buy a New dog. Your life is irreplaceable

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
X7 Sorry for your lost

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
x10 had a scare the other day my dog walked over my bait set lucky for her and I it was frozen enough to hold her but i was concerned..

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
shes lucky. sucks the dog died, but a few years ago some lady went chasing after her dog that fell through. the dog lived, she didnt. that pond is now closed to all ice fishing
USE A BOBBER!

Offline Pike-Icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
you can always buy a New dog. Your life is irreplaceable

X2.
Pikeonator23 on myfishfinder.com

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
One of those life vests for dogs would probably be a good investment for anybody that lives around the water this time of year,they're cheap too.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
One of those life vests for dogs would probably be a good investment for anybody that lives around the water this time of year,they're cheap too.

X2  sometimes we over complicate things and its a simple solution

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
X2.

X3 I love my lab a lot but I'm pretty sire my daughter and family would prefer to have me around instead.  Here's to keeping your dog on a leash!  It's a very simple solution.

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
I would be hard to bear watching your dog struggle for life, but you have to wonder if the fire/rescue people might have gotten to the dog in time if they hadn't had to focus all their time and resources on saving the woman's life first. 
Good suggestion, Buddah.

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
my previous comment was a litte harsh about just buying a new dog. I agree it would be very painful to watch your dog die.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
This situation is totally avoidable, I hate to be blunt but there is no excuse for this stuff to happen most of the time.  If the ice isn't safe for me my lab isn't going near it, or off her leash around it.  It really is just that simple.

Offline troutaddict97

• Team IceShanty Regular
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                 
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac

And that's exactly why we keep reading about these tragedies every year. Don't get me wrong. I love my dog too. But advancing out onto thin ice to rescue any pet or person is foolhearty at best. As mentioned previously, lots of ways to prevent these kind of things from happening:
Having dogs on leashes especially when ice is first forming on ponds and lakes.
Keeping a small flat bottom boat on shore comes in handy if one must cross thin ice.
Having lots of rope around so if there is no other option, tie rope around yourself so you can at least pull yourself towards shore if you fall through.

Offline Jer-

• IceShanty Rookie
Ive gone in after dogs.  Its very cold under the ice.  No way would I watch a dog drown!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I feel for the first responders that risked their lives because of this womans carelessness, that is why I feel so strongly about this.   A leash would have prevented a need for good people to risk their lives.  This is of course assuming this lady was just letting her dog do as it pleases when it happened.  Obviously in certain circumstances accidents happen and can't be avoided.  Im glad no first responders were hurt while trying to rescue her, lets hope she keeps her dog away from and off unsafe ice! 

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
I think Hector is more careful around the ice than I am, but it would be hard just to stand there and watch him drown.  :-\
Steve

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
I saved our lab from going under a few years ago while the family and I were out getting a Christmas tree in the back 40! Their is a brook that runs through the middle of the property Tobey the dog went out on some thin ice and went threw, luckily I noticed he was missing and found him fighting for his life tring to stay above water, I got to him just as he was about to go under because of the strong current. The story ended well and he is still with us today.  :)
Never Give Up!

Offline iceking87

• IceShanty Rookie
x15 you have to go after your dog, they would die trying to save you. I feel sorry for both the lady and the poor dog
Tips up

Offline TheDirtyAndro

• Team IceShanty Regular
x15 you have to go after your dog, they would die trying to save you. I feel sorry for both the lady and the poor dog

x16, couldn't agree more
“If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” - John Gierach

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Agreed... A dog is the only thing in the world that loves it's master more than itself. I'd rather slip away under the ice with my dog then try to fall asleep every night picturing her drowning because I'd did nothing.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
x17 theres no way id sit there watching my dog struggle for his life

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
X18 because I love my dog enough to never ever put her in a situation where that could happen.  That "poor" lady was being mindless and risked the lives of some men who were forced to take that risk because of her carlessness.  Should they have to because she was to lazy to put a leash on her dog to protect it from harm?  I don't think so.  I also think she is a victim of her own lack of judgement in that respect. 

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/12/11/news/mid-maine/mercer-woman-rushed-to-hospital-after-falling-through-ice-trying-to-save-dog/

Again my comment above is assuming it was her dog and it was not on a leash, the story doesn't say. 

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Been there, done that. We both made it but barely... I still choke up when I tell the story. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.