Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: What's a Dozen Minnows?  (Read 6624 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
What's a Dozen Minnows?
« on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Thought it would be interesting to see what "a dozen minnows" really is across Iowa. Boarding states can contribute too.

I know out east a dozen minnows is literally 12 minnows, due to high costs and bait laws.

I bought "a dozen crappie minnows" from a shop here in the QC last sunday. Used 3 or 4 sunday, and probably 15 on monday. I just now counted them as I changed their water, just for the heck of it. 89 minnows left.

How many do you think you get when you buy "a dozen"?

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: What's a Dozen Minnows?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:55 PM »
No where near that here in Michigan, probably 20 or so!  Depends how good a customer you are, if you buy a lot of stuff from the store you will get a better count!!

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Been going to Erie a decent amount this year and you buy em by the "scoop"  ;D  Have no idea how many that is
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Between Clinton and Sabula there are 4 shops I can get minnows.

3 sell by the dozen but give you a "scoop". Two of those places you'll get around 20 per scoop, Todd's tackle in Thomson is more generous, probably closer to 50.

One bait shop here will literally count out 12 minnows.

Guess which one I've only been to once.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:10 PM »
Here in Des Moines we go by the scoop, I usually ask for a couple scoops and still have way too many.

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:09 PM »
I've never heard of minnows being counted out. It's usually half a scoop or a scoop! 
FTWGA

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Good question.  My local shop probably gives you 30 to 40 small minnows for a "dozen".

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:03 PM »
By the scoop around here. I have seen them counted. They were 1.75 a dozen. :o

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:07 PM »
here in the east many guys buy big minnows or live smelts-----we have been buying big suckers for bait lately and they r 1.50 each---and if you ask for a dozen---you get a dozen-----but sometimes a sucker can be fished for 4 days on a tip-up be4 they die------and no we dont catch little panfish

Online darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:11 PM »
A dozen minnows means 12 here, and counted out.
We have a local wholesaler though, who sells them by the pound. WAY cheaper!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:17 PM »
10 alive ones and 3 or 4 floaters,half alive at most places. I don't but minnows but when I did I buy them from the same place 2 dozen paid for but get about 4 dozen.

Offline 69camaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2015, 07:54 PM »
My local bait shop if you ask for 2 doz you get enough to fish for a week. Probably 60-80. Of course I am a regular since I can't seem to keep waxworms or spikes alive for much more than a week!

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:17 PM »
I went to a local hardware store in town and asked for a scoop of small crappie minnows, what I got was exactly 12 large minnows.  I preceded to ask for a scoop of the small minnows and after a brief discussion and about 5 min I got exactly 12 small minnows.  Not the norm for me at this shop but the kid probably only worked the bait counter twice in his life so I guess next time ill hand my bucket to the old timer instead! :o :o

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Nothing is worse than selling them by the dozen! The scoop is the only way to go! The last time I went to Polk City Bait (after Bill sold it) they counted them and needless to say I won't be going back there again! >:(

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2015, 01:22 AM »
Depends on the Bait house.  I've purchased them by the scoop or half scoop, usually end up with anywhere from 20-60, I've purchased by the "dozen" and have come home with that same 20-60, but I have also purchased by the dozen and they count them out, 12 exact.  i usually don't return to those bait houses!  Use large dead minnows for catfish sometimes, and I go to a guy who freezes them daily from his "cleanout" every day from his stock.  he baggies them up and sells them, 30-40 per baggie, $.50.  I can use them for 2-3 weeks before I need more. (they work very well in the spring, just after ice out!!!)

Offline wjs0311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2015, 06:31 AM »
Thought it would be interesting to see what "a dozen minnows" really is across Iowa. Boarding states can contribute too.

I know out east a dozen minnows is literally 12 minnows, due to high costs and bait laws.

I bought "a dozen crappie minnows" from a shop here in the QC last sunday. Used 3 or 4 sunday, and probably 15 on monday. I just now counted them as I changed their water, just for the heck of it. 89 minnows left.

How many do you think you get when you buy "a dozen"?

Pankys in Carbon Cliff Is the same way.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2015, 10:54 AM »
ez livin and crogearts if you order 1 dozen you get about 15.  if you order 2 dozen you get 5000.   

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Most local bait shops by me you get about 15-17 minnows per dozen.  You go to the big box stores and 1 dozen means exactly 12 minnows.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline sitandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2015, 02:25 PM »
It is different everywhere! I have had places count out 12 exactly, and I have also had others give 60-70 minnows in one dozen. I have also got everything in between.

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2015, 04:37 PM »
I use to buy minnows in Clinton  to go walleye fishing. Would ask for a couple dozen and would get about 5 dozen. If we did not use them all and were driving back pass the bait shop we would drop the live minnow off to be sold again. I think it made the bait shop give a better scoop to you the next time. Always keep your bait shop guys happy! :clap:

Offline davejohnson2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2015, 04:45 PM »
just came across this, i am from NY ( i know out of state) our bait is rediclious! a dozen fatheads at the local shop is 3.69 per dozen! and thats 12 counted out, only good for a week here with bait receipt to show they are "certified" and if they give you more then you can get a ticket, per minnow, over what is on your receipt. some other shops will sell for 4 bucks a scoop but that is only 20 minnows and they put 20 on the receipt

Offline Iowan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2015, 06:51 AM »
I was recently having this conversation with some friends while ice fishing after going to the bait shop and ordering minnows.  The bait shop owner counted out the minnows to a dozen.  Asked the guys I was fishing with if they had ever heard or seen such a thing rather than just getting a scoop.  One of the guys we fished with said he went to the same bait shop to get spikes and when the owner was counting out the spikes individually he just bought the whole tub. 
Catch a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2015, 05:43 PM »
 :woot: Cant stop laughing at this whole subject! Unbelievable

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jun 21, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Woods in council bluffs counts them out have to get 4 dozen for the day and they are not cheap.  when I go up to Webster SD Doug at sportsman cove goes by the scoop.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jun 21, 2015, 04:30 PM »
here in MA, a dozen is counted out. if I get a couple of extras, I'm grinnin from ear to ear. paid $5.50 per dz for mediums this past winter.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #25 on: Jun 21, 2015, 11:04 PM »
Here in Wisconsin, it depends on the shop. One local Hardware store MIGHT count them but most of the time you will get alot more then 12. I usually get around 18-24+ depending on the shop. My regular shop has a dice cup, roll 3 of a kind on one shake and all your bait for that day is free.....

Going price for crappie minnows or roseys was around $2-$2.50/"doz"

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jun 22, 2015, 07:01 AM »
My small town bait shop get over board on minnows at times. If I am going to have a little time to fish and will not be out again for a while I have to tell him to take it easy with the scoop. the difference in price between 2 and 3 dozen is not that much so when I am fishing a lot I get three doze which is way more than 5 dozen.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #27 on: Jun 22, 2015, 11:48 PM »
:woot: Cant stop laughing at this whole subject! Unbelievable

i'll have what he's having!

Offline axnessj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Sep 04, 2015, 11:45 AM »
Kevin23,

Where do you get your minnows, K&K?

Offline wjs0311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 09, 2015, 08:25 AM »
I'm on the IL side of the quad cities.  The last two times ive got a dozen minnows from the bait shop down the hill from me I've come away with about 3 dozen.  An older lady runs the joint and she hooks it up.  Painkys in carbon cliff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.