Author Topic: wood for tip-ups  (Read 11245 times)

Offline jiggin4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
wood for tip-ups
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:32 PM »
I know it would probably be the same or cheaper to buy tip-ups from a store but i was thinking about making my own.  My question is what type of wood in your opinion is best to do so?  not sure if i should go with a hardwood and treat it or use say cedar.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: wood for tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:48 PM »
IMHO I don't think there will be a big difference between hardwood and softwood but I would treat (poly) either one you decide to go with. Hardwood will be heavier than cedar. I think the beaver dams are made of pine if I'm not mistaken. Stay away from anything that was laminated or fabricated such as plywood or chipboard.

Offline mguchi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Green/pressure treated would be the best choice for durability, but I personally won't use that stuff because of the corrosion it will cause on tools.  I'd stick with untreated Pine or even Cedar as they hold up better than most hardwoods do when exposed to the elements.  For anything I build outdoors, I use at least 15 coats of poly (sanding every 3 coats). 

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:11 AM »
I made some last year with hard maple, indestructable, and heavy.If i make more i would use cherry wood,much lighter,rot resistant,plenty durable.I coated mine with parafine wax,non-toxic.GOOD LUCK. ;D

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:48 AM »
For a truly water and weatherproof Tip up, Cypress is the way to go, with Teak being a close 2ND ! These woods are impregnated with a natural occurring waterproof oil that seals the wood from the inside ! Even untreated, tip ups made from Cypress or Teak will outlast any other wood available !!

Offline Matt_Atkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:58 AM »
For a truly water and weatherproof Tip up, Cypress is the way to go, with Teak being a close 2ND ! These woods are impregnated with a natural occurring waterproof oil that seals the wood from the inside ! Even untreated, tip ups made from Cypress or Teak will outlast any other wood available !!

And they would cost a fortune :) But you can get short pieces of teak from fine wood dealers for not to bad of a price. Still might be around 15-20 worth of wood for each trap,
Id go with cedar, they make planters out of it, but id seal em with poly like mguchi said

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Surf is right about teak and cypress. I wouldn't worry about rot and deterioration if you stain and seal the wood. Put your tip ups in a place where they can dry out after use and they will be fine.  My worry about cedar is that is soft and dings easy. If I was making the cross or stick type of tip ups I would use a hardwood. I think some of the custom tip up guys are using ash. Ash, oak and cherry would be good. The first two will be more reasonable in price.  Beaver dam style tip ups  I would consider a softwood like pine or cedar.

Dave

Offline Matt_Atkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Ash would prevent most of the dings, its what they make baseball bat out of. And at the end of the day it a tip up, Maybe you should make one thats a showpiece and dont use it, or when your down on your luck bring out the good one.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:21 PM »
Tamarack may also work OK.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:24 PM »
i would go with a nice slab of hickory, such a nice color/grain to it. a nice clear stain/sealer/poly ^^ would be a very nice lookin tip up.

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:00 PM »
i would go with a nice slab of hickory, such a nice color/grain to it. a nice clear stain/sealer/poly ^^ would be a very nice lookin tip up.
don't use hickory, although very pretty, its one of the worst woods in an unstable environment.very effected by moisture and humidity changes. White oak would be a cost effective choice or mahogony may be cheaper than more exotic wood.-Pig
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:20 PM »
if you seal it properly  hickory would be just fine.

Offline jiggin4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:36 PM »
wow! I think we covered every tree in the forest..LOL!   Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:50 PM »
I know it would probably be the same or cheaper to buy tip-ups from a store but i was thinking about making my own.  My question is what type of wood in your opinion is best to do so?  not sure if i should go with a hardwood and treat it or use say cedar.
Go with hardwood. I would suggest something like wite oak, white ash or hard maple. Many hockey sticks and snow shoes are made from white ash because it's easy to work and it is durable. Most importantly choose what you like, rot will not be an issue as I doubt you are going to neglect your gear by storing it in damp places.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:38 PM »
 I am making a set of 3 for my first year using tip ups. I am using Hickory and Walnut. I am staining the Hickory, but not the Walnut, and sealing both with poly. Kinda stuck on them right now, but will get them finished eventually.

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:40 PM »
You can buy mahogany decking and baluster stock at every lumber yard near me. The stuff is tough as nails and is fairly inexpensive. It is also so oily that paint and poly won't stick to it. It's what I would use. I'd just coat it with Thompson's water seal. I've built a bunch of decks out of it and, with the exception of a few boards, the stuff really holds up.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:50 PM »
try to find the bar top stuff. its hardens so good and will last forever *almost*. little pricy but you wont need much.

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:28 AM »
Minwax Spar Urethane, lighty sanded between the first and second coat will give you years of protection and can be scuffed up and recoated years down the road without having to completely restrip it ! :thumbsup: :tipup:

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:13 AM »

I thought of making some out of cypress or teak a few years ago and I didn't have them money to buy the wood so I made mine out of pine and they work great!

Offline Matt_Atkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:51 AM »
Jiggin4perch,
What are you using for the hardware? Recycling an old trap, or have you found a place that sells the stuff?

Offline Corash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:21 AM »
4 years back I made a 10 pack of tip-ups out of pine so far they are still working great and looking as new

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Minwax Spar Urethane, lighty sanded between the first and second coat will give you years of protection and can be scuffed up and recoated years down the road without having to completely restrip it ! :thumbsup: :tipup:
(Image removed from quote.)

Put 5 coats of this stuff on my wet bar...very durable. Has withstood the abuse of me dancing on it in my stilett....I mean...err...ummm...oo oboy :-[........................ :roflmao:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Jiggin4perch,
What are you using for the hardware? Recycling an old trap, or have you found a place that sells the stuff?

Fish 307 carries tip up parts. Prices are pretty good.
http://www.fish307.com/40uptip-upreplacementparts.aspx

Offline jiggin4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Jiggin4perch,

I had 2 old ones given to me but they had been stored in in a barn and the hardware was rusted.  So i thought i could still use the wood from those two and buy the hardware and more wood to make five tip ups. that would give me ten total for back up or for a friend to use.  fish307 has all the hardware for them...or i could try to mak my own hardware.  I'm just looking for something to do while waiting for the ice.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:39 AM »
Pallets are usually made of ash, and can usually be found for free if you look on craigslist or something like that. You could probably get thirty or so tipups out of one pallet, so you could pick and choose the nicer parts and still get ten out of it.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Bullelk34

« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Jiggin4perch,

I saw on eBay they sell packages of hardware to make 5 tipups, for 20.00. Might be a fun project-

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:55 PM »
What about using Trex Decking?

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:35 PM »
How about the plastic 12" long paint stir sticks.  They flexible, ice doesn't stick to them, no treatment required.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:36 PM »
I'm going to try making some this year out of a few broken hockey sticks. Sher-Wood ice fishing gear!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:48 AM »
I made a set of 5 out of Teak a few years ago and it is the absolute best wood to use around water. No sealing is necessary but you can give them a coat of Teak oil every season.

Go to a Marina or boat junk yard and find an old swim platform from the back of a junk boat. Even if Teak looks old and gray the stuff does not rot and can be brought back to look and work great.

If you are going to do it right with high end wood then I think Heritage Laker sells all the parts and I know for sure that Jack Traps does. You will spend some bucks but you will also have tip ups to be passed down through generations. If you have the skills and tools you might as well spend your time & efforts making some real beauties. Believe me, you can buy them already made much cheaper so there is no savings to be found making them yourself. I spent hours upon hours upon hours making my set with all the cutting, sanding, drilling, attaching the all parts that cost a small fortune and in the end I could have bought a full set of Jack Traps or Lakers for much less. All the Jack Trap parts are stainless steel and good for a few life times.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.