Author Topic: How long to use tip up line before replacement ?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
How long to use tip up line before replacement ?
« on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:26 PM »
How long do you guys leave the tip up line on your tip ups before replacing the line ?

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How long to use tip up line before replacement ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:12 PM »
if you mean the braided ice fishing line and not the leader, then i can tell you i have some tip-ups that are about 15 years old that have their original line that came on them when i bought them. still good and strong.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:16 PM »
yes that is what I meant. Thanks

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:30 PM »
I replaced my braid last winter, but most of the line that I replaced was 10-15 years old and still good to go.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2011, 06:50 AM »
allow the braid to dry and do not store it in excessive heat and it will last for ever.      I change my leaders every year.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:00 PM »
I'll agree with keeping any line dry and avoiding high temps. Additionally all braided line is not created equal.

Lots of the cheapest stuff is nylon. Tends to be he most stretchy and holds the most water. I've also seen nylon dry rot over time so give a good tug to the end and try to break it off. If you can break it without cutting your hands I'd say swap it out.

My favorite is Dacron. Less stretchy and drier than nylon, Dacron is not subject to dry rotting. I've got some that was spooled........ I forget; a long time ago and I still trust it. I do check it for break strength periodically. Most of this was cast off musky reel line. Life expectancy can likely be measured in decades for tip up use.

The most expensive braids are superlines. They're OK for tip ups except to get a decent line diameter that's easy to handle in the cold you're talking about 80-100# test. Those tests equal the diameter of 36# Dacron that I believe to be the standard. Practically zero stretch and very dry compared to any other braid. This stuff is made from gel spun plastic and the life expectancy is probably centuries; think of a plastic milk jug in a landfill and you'll get the idea....

/mike

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:20 PM »
I recently switched some out to go from black to chartruse. The line was fine after 5 or 6 years still. I'll second Dacron as the line of choice.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:54 PM »
allow the braid to dry and do not store it in excessive heat and it will last for ever.      I change my leaders every year.

Agreed on the braid that stuff lasts forever.......but I change my leaders every trip........sometimes even after landing one fish if it was a toothy pike or pickerel cuz breakoffs blow!  I use 25 lb mono when fishing for those guys and keep pre made leaders in a zip lock in my pocket and change em out quick right at the hole
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:18 AM »
Agreed on the braid that stuff lasts forever.......but I change my leaders every trip........sometimes even after landing one fish if it was a toothy pike or pickerel cuz breakoffs blow!  I use 25 lb mono when fishing for those guys and keep pre made leaders in a zip lock in my pocket and change em out quick right at the hole

This is what I do also.

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:33 AM »
i have had mine spolled with 50lbs dacron since 1989,,just checked them all last night,,its like the day i puy it on

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:25 AM »
i have had mine spolled with 50lbs dacron since 1989,,just checked them all last night,,its like the day i puy it on

Yeah the dacron lasts forever!  At the start of every season I cut about 5 feet off and tie new barrel swivels to it.  My thought is that the end of it takes some abuse landing fish right at the hole so I start with a clean knot tied to the barrel every season.  Change my mono or fluro leaders every trip though.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:41 AM »
30+ years and still going...  Just dry it out at the end of the day. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:05 PM »
How long do you guys leave the tip up line on your tip ups before replacing the line ?
  Good question  and I agree cheap ice braid nylons should be checked before each season.. First off.. it all depends on what lb. test ice line you wish to use.. I found 30lb up to 50lb iceline works best and pick any color you want.  All quality tip up lines are water resistant coated.. helps keep the line from freezing ..when storing line be sure to air dry it or it can get moldy.. I found this out today by leaving one of my walleye frabil edition pie plates at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.. I pulled it and respooled it today. This is what I did with all my tipups  today.. 1) cut off old flouro tippet rig.. 2) pull off in my driveway by walking out the line 3) put a marker button on  after windi spinning the line back onto the spool  (never use the hand wrap method otherwise you twist the line)  spin the spool and hold the line with a bit of tension so as to even the spool level winding method. 4) Tie a  quality barrel #8 is good l( this not only helps control line twists but makes it very easy changing leader. I like using 8lb seagar flourocarbon for my leaders about three to four ft will do. . 5) I use  what I believe is the best knot to tie heavy braid to a medium sized barrel.. The orvis knot  is easy  tight and strong.. 6) don't tie any leader on till you go fishing or the night before.  Merry Christmas everybody!

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Here is the knot I'll be using on the ice with my tipups ..no need to use any other knot. main to barrel...leader to barrel..and hook to leader http://www.animatedknots.com/orvis/index.php

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2011, 02:28 PM »
 where did everybody go ;D  ???

Offline NEW222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Cool.  Thanks.  Will try this one tomorrow when I respool for the weekend.

Offline war eagle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2012, 03:10 PM »
 I've got some #36 Woodstockline on my tilts that has got to be at least 15 years old and it's no worse for the wear. Looks and performs like new.And yes I check it every year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.