Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Otter Creek (Tama Co)  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter Creek (Tama Co)
« on: Jan 04, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Has anyone fished this lake for the yellows or panfish in general? Years ago a buddy and I used to hit hard for largemouth in the summers. I've been told most fish run pretty small and often few and far between. Bass eat them all ? ;D
I love big honkers! Giant Canadian etc...

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Otter Creek (Tama Co)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2019, 08:14 AM »
I make a trip over there onoce a winter or so. Forty+ miles for me each way, so it is probably worth fishing, although I like road trips to different waters.  ;D

The yellows bass fishing is alright in the winter (I have never fished it on open water), although they don't run as large as they do on Clear Lake. Sometimes I get in to some nice bluegill, too. The crappie I have caught in Otter Creek have all been small.

I was told by somone over there that Otter Creek is on the lake reclamation list. If true, hopefully the panfishing would be better after the yellows are killed off.
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Went over there Saturday for a few hours. Lot of fisherman, decent ice (early), and plenty of yellows top side. Didn't  catch any other species. Talked to few super nice guys that shared some information about the lake, but no mention of restoration. Until the next cold snap... hopefully  :-\
I love big honkers! Giant Canadian etc...

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:15 PM »
I just read in the local paper a few days ago, they are saying it needs redone in the next 5 years. Nothing in concrete yet but they are getting money lined up. I've only been there once this year, it was a slow day, couple yellows and a few medium size gills.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.