Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Best ice cleats  (Read 12628 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best ice cleats
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2018, 06:19 PM »
I have the Kahtoola's from this forum, my biggest issue is always trying to figure out how they fit. But I am getting old and my vision is going bad

I have never slipped wearing them, always feel like I am walking on concrete

Offline Iawinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:06 PM »
I tried the YakTraks (ones with the springs), got about 2 years out of them before the rubber gave out. I've had the YakTrak Diamond Grips going into the second season, still look good, much heavier construction and good traction. Think I gave $50 for the at a local sportings goods store. I see that Costco now carries them for $30. I'm going to get an extra pair just in case, but don't think I'll need them for a while.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2018, 11:05 PM »
I had my kahtoolas break the season before last right at the end of the year. They sent me a new pair no questions asked and didn't care that they were slightly out of warranty and I had no receipt. New ones have been working great. Then this past summer I got a letter in the mail from them, it had a greeting card that said they were sorry that I had an issue with their product and that they stand behind their products and such and inside was a plastic card with a 25% off code with a year expiration date.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:42 AM »
I've had my kahtoolas the last couple of season's and have been really happy with them. They give you great traction.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:11 PM »
I have the Kahtoola's from this forum, my biggest issue is always trying to figure out how they fit. But I am getting old and my vision is going bad

I have never slipped wearing them, always feel like I am walking on concrete

Love my Kahtoolas. They're marked "Front" in raised letters that are often hard to see. Mark the letters with a black marker. Or tie some bright yarn at the front. Might help. (I'm 65. Getting there.)
Hope this helps.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:23 PM »
I recommend Stabilicers Maxx. They work great.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline ddotmirb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Kahtoolas are great the only draw back I have found with them if I'm standing all day hole hoping the bottom of my feet hurt. I love the deep cutting spikes on them but they hurt my feet on bare hard ice all day.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2018, 06:54 PM »
I have the HT Omni Tech Super Stud Sandals and like them the best out of all the cleats I've tried.  With the ones that only have the teeth under the ball of your foot or on the toes I always ended up with sore feet by the end of the day with the HT's the studs go all the way around the bottom so you don't have any pressure points to cause sore feet.  They might not look like they have the best bite but I've been using them for years and been on ice with water on top which is the slipperiest ice going in my opinion and I never slipped, not even once.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2018, 07:22 PM »
That's the kind I have but they come off my Titans

I am considering putting the studs directly into the boots as some have done, but I'm not sure what kind of glue I need. i have read of others having them fall out.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:05 PM »
I loved my Kahtoolas but their largest size  would fit so tight on my sz 15 pac boots the straps were breaking. Hard to find cleats big enough. I screwed in stainless steel 1/2" long screws but not happy with that either.
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:12 PM »
I usta use Korkers but they get heavy after a long day. Have had several pairs of Kahtoolas over the past few years and absolutely love them. I get a couple/three years out of them and then buy another pair. They are worth the money! Also, I noticed a pair at L.L. Bean the other day (stream walkers?? maybe) with a boa tie system and they looked pretty nice but were pretty pricey. Might be worth it tho...

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 29, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Took a bit longer than I thought(Christmas),  but still very happy with Kahtoola Customer Service. Look what came in the mail today. Free.

Offline Linda Watson

• IceShanty Rookie
  • linda Watson
« Reply #42 on: Feb 28, 2020, 03:32 AM »
I recently got my pair of Ice cleats from amazon... I Just loved them.
Here are my Ice cleats from Quadtrek - https://www.amazon.com/Quadtrek-All-Terrain-Traction-Trekking-Compatible/dp/B07GVDNKJS
Linda Watson

Offline Selfish Shack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 29, 2020, 12:45 AM »
Hand's down, Katoolas micro spikes

Offline perch78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 02, 2020, 02:24 PM »

I have been using screws in my Baffin boots. Cheap to use. If ones comes out screw another in. No slipping and sliding here!

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 02, 2020, 02:33 PM »
I find if I use those aggressive cleats, I think the walleye hear me coming and drop the bait.   I use yaktrx, not to aggressive and made out of carbide.
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 04, 2020, 10:28 AM »
Another vote for Kahtoolas. Very sure footed. I broke a strap last year because my newer boots were thicker.
Emailed a photo and had a new set in days. No Charge!
I always walk carefully around my transducer cord, though. I can see it happening.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Mar 04, 2020, 11:33 AM »

I use Kold kutters in my trans Alaskans
 And very old pair of kahtoolas  for my packs still going strong 12 + years

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.