Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 3rd line  (Read 2265 times)

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 3rd line
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2012, 01:16 PM »
I'll be purchasing my 3rd line! Ice fishing it will give me a chance to put out a tip-up and still keep two rods to jig while on inland waters. I can currently use 3 tip-ups and 2 jigging rods on the Mississippi backwaters, so I have 3 tip-ups. I'm sure my buddies will grab the other 2 while on inland waters.  Often time in the summer, I've had to reel one line in while bottom fishing in order to cast a jig or spinner to some working fish. Now I'll be able to leave the other two out.
Does anyone know will I be able to jig 3 and have 3 tip-ups on the Mississippi? Or better yet jig 2 and have 4 tip-ups?
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Im from wisconsin and the rule on the mississippi river  is 3 lines. So any combination to get to 3 lines. 2 jig poles and 1 tip up or 2 tipups and 1 jig pole etc.....  So NO you can not have 3 +3 or 2 jigs and 4 tip ups it is 3 lines not 6

Of course i take my son and wife so i (errr i mean we) can put out 6 tip ups and each of us uses a pole.

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2012, 02:58 PM »
"Three tip-up fishing devices may be used in addition
to two lines with no more than two hooks per line."
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/fish/regs_fish.pdf
page 18

Offline JMJ IA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:17 PM »
I was really kind of hoping everyone would boycott it.   $12 isn't an arm and a leg, but other states are allowed tha tmany lines and more for no extra money. I can totally understand why people would pay the extra.  I also understand this is way to raise money without forcing a person to pay.  However,  I feel it was also done in this manner so the state could say they haven't raised licenes cost in "X" number of years.  The jury is still out on myself as to weather I'll pop the $12.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.  ~Author Unknown

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:23 PM »
wow, you can use 2 rods and 3 tip ups on the mississippi almost worth me buying an out of state liscense. We fish the same river (Wisconsin train tracks to Iowa train tracks and vice versa) and we can only use 3 total lines,

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:38 PM »
wow, you can use 2 rods and 3 tip ups on the mississippi almost worth me buying an out of state liscense. We fish the same river (Wisconsin train tracks to Iowa train tracks and vice versa) and we can only use 3 total lines,
With a Wisonsin License in IOWA waters of the Mississippi YOU too are allowed 3 tip-ups AND two poles. You must follow Iowa regs which allow this.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2012, 11:08 PM »

It goes by what side of the river you are on, doesnt matter what license you have. In Iowa you always fish by Iowa regs, in Wisconsin you always fish by Wisconsin regs. The line between the states is the center of the current navigation channel. You wouldnt go driving through Wisc at 80MPH and tell the officer you have a Texas drivers license and in Texas the speed limit is 80 would you?
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.