The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 20lb propane tank wood stove NEW PICS  (Read 36323 times)

FRESHBAIT

20lb propane tank wood stove NEW PICS
« on: Oct 10, 2011, 02:32 PM »
So along with my other projects I started today I took one of the 4 old 20lb propane tanks I had laying around and started cutting it up. 
I took some 1" flat stock and bent it with some angle iron and c-clamps and made a square roughly 8" on each side.  This will become the door opening. 
I then took a sharpie and my calibrated eye and made a sqaure on the valve side.  This is where the door will go.

Apparently my calibrated eye was pretty good as the frame for the front door fit in snug and only needed a little bit of a touch up at he corners to fit. 
I roughly tapped it into place with a hammer just to the point where the 1" stock was flush at the corners with the propane tank.  This allowed the framwork to sit out and off from the propane tank.  This will allow me to put in a flat door on the obtussly round propane tank. 

rickl1968

Re: 20lb propane tank wood stove
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Nice start, I have seen a few of these, but only on this site.

Step by step would be great!

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2011, 04:25 PM »
i did the same thing but only on a 30 lb tank. i also just made a bot belly woodstove out of a 20lb.

here is the 30lb

and the new one

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2011, 05:15 PM »
I like the brake rotor for the stove top!  @) But what is the bottom? A pancake air compressor tank? And does it collect the ashes from a grate above? If so,,   @)  :afro:  @)

It's hard to tell with the picture quality.  :(

I have a stove here similar to a 20, made from an 18" schedule 80 steel pipe and assorted plates, angles etc... No shack right now but we use it in the yard/driveway as a hand warmer when we're working on toys and vehicles or whatnot in colder weather. Has a removable grate and you can clean it when in use or cold. I need a better rake though.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Eggemoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy - Fishy
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2011, 06:02 PM »
I assume the valve comes out first....      Than what?      do you flush it out or vent it
before using the torch???     I have a few of the old 20's laying around and wondered
what they were good for.....      thanks..

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2011, 06:04 PM »
i'm diggn that pot belly.   
This little stove is definetly on its way.  this is by no means the only way to build a small wood stove, this is just the way that I'm doing it.  All the steel are pieces of scrap that is left over from other projects or from scrap that I've picked up that I found laying around
The next step I'll do is the legs just so it'll have some stability and referances for getting things level. I'll be using some 1/8" plate, some coffee cans and spray cans  or what ever I find laying around for the curves on the legs, and also some 1" angle  scraps for some  gussets between the legs.
time to get to work and take some pictures.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2011, 06:05 PM »
The valve comes out first with a pipe wrench then I purged it with some trimix only b/c I had the bottle there for my mig.  I've also used water to fill the tanks before and then just pour it out and its good to go. 

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2011, 06:10 PM »
I love the 2nd one !!     

A friend of mine made a new one for our shack last year .  This one was made from compressor tank .

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2011, 07:03 PM »
yes it is a pancake compressor tank. the ashes go through holes drilled in the bottom of propane tank and into the ash pan. it will take a 10 inch log but what i found to be the most convenient is enviro bricks ( compressed sawdust) like a giant pellet for a pellet stove. half the ash with a longer hotter burn.

Offline Eggemoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy - Fishy
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:16 PM »
The valve comes out first with a pipe wrench then I purged it with some trimix only b/c I had the bottle there for my mig.  I've also used water to fill the tanks before and then just pour it out and its good to go.

Thanks Fresh Bait....    I have trimix in my shop....     I'll give it a try.... might try to weld
to tanks together end to end.....   something different  ::)

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2011, 11:04 PM »
I may know of a 100# tank. Could save a bit of work...
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2011, 10:56 AM »
i use youtube for ideas. give it a try lots of propane tank woodstoves.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2011, 06:58 PM »
I got another chance to work on the stove today.  I had an idea for some legs using some of the steel legs from one of my old camp chairs that weren't rated for my 300lbs.   I'm not really diggn' the way they came out, they just look kinda cheap and flimsy.  Even though I added braces on both the front/back and the sides it just isn't up to what I want.  here are a couple pictures of the start of the legs.  I used a sheet of 1/8" plate to tack them down kind of draw out what I wanted. 

Even though I thought it was going to be quicker to use some of these old chair legs from the scrap pile, my best bet I think is going to be to hit the drawing board litterally, and come up with something alittle more substantial.  I'm thinking of using the 1/8" plate that I have and cutting some pieces out for the legs and integrating an ash pan into it.  I also made a trip down to my "farmers Junk Pile" and did some digging around the scrap pile and came up with some cast iron grates from an old gas grill.  I'll be cutting that down to use in the fire box.  I'll try and get my ideas down on paper and get it posted to keep every one up to date on this little stoves progress. 

My supervisor was making sure that my work area was all cleaned up and he even allowed me to use his tape measure whenever he wasn't using it.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Heck that brake rotor still has life in it yet!!!    great job!   I was planning on building one of those   but cutting the tank open has been my biggest worry  do you fill it with water first?   I know that some of the oil penetrates into the metal Ive been told.....
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2011, 03:56 PM »
pull the valve fill with water dump it then repeat. i do this a couple of times. then go for it use a jig saw instead of a cut offwheel. altho i have done both it probly be much safer with the jig saw. good luck.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I pull the valve and either flush it with water or purge it with CO2 or trimix.  Whatever I got in the shed for the welder. Worked some more on the stove today for about an hour.  I got the door started and half of the hindges made.  Also decided that using the cutoff wheel to cut through the 1/8' plate was taking way to long so I climbed up into the loft of the bard and dug out my cutting torch.  Only problem was I didn't have any acetylene, my tank is somehow empty now.  I don't remember using it all although its been about 5yrs since I had the cutting torch out and using it.  My O2 tank had enough in it, so I improvised with the propane tank off the gas grill.   Worked like a champ and only had to do minimal grinding to clean it all up and square everything back up.   Just waiting on the pictures from today to load and I'll post them.   I definetly think the 1/8" plate for the legs is alot better and will allow me to make an ash pan, and for  intake air to the fire.  Also found some 1/4" plate down on my scrap pile that I'll cut down for the flat top.   So far I have no money into the stove,  all the steel has been from my scrap pile and to think I almost considered hauling it away to appease the wife, I JUST MOVED IT OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND FOR HER I GUESS  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

FRESHBAIT

Re: 20lb propane tank wood stove NEW PICS
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2011, 07:15 PM »
here are some pics from todays tinkering today.  I got some stuff done for the hour that I worked on it

The half of the hindges that I made.  I still have to make the other half and tack them on and drill the hole for the hindge rod

not a real good picture of the side but it shows the piece of the garage door angle that I tacked to the bottom which should allow me to bolt it down securely.
I will be cutting another piece of 1/8" plate and welding it to the side to stiffen it up. 

A front view.  I'll be cutting out a hole in the middle of the front support to make a ash pan door and air inlet.

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2011, 05:20 AM »
very nice job freshbait. are you going to make an ashpan? how are you doing the air intake? the only suggestion i have is make sure the smoke pipe has a baffle. on the one i made the flames looked like a flame thrower at night coming out the chimney until i put the baffle in. jmo

Offline bootsnthejeep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:47 AM »
A simple baffle is a really good idea, as long as it can draw unrestricted. Installing on may have helped prevent the one big problem with the stove I built for Maine_Gunner and GasBlaster's shack, it ended up we couldn't run any kind of chimney cap on it or the wind would crank down the stovepipe and smoke us out! Was bad enough the heat would drive you out, but the smoke was intolerable!

I would like to incorporate a baffle plate into that one or the next one I build. Someday...

I really like that little horizontal stove. I've got an old heavy duty bottle I've been holding on to for something like that, someday I may even get around to doing it.

However, I will bring up a point. What are the other stove builders using for paint? I had some good success on other high-heat projects with Rustoleum Specialty High Heat spray enamel. It's a very flat black, and protects to 1200 degrees. But when it came time to paint that shack stove, I didn't want the flat black, I was trying to find a satin or semi gloss high heat. I found it in Krylon BBQ and Stove paint. It SAID it protected to 1200 degrees, and it was the PERFECT finish. UNTIL I fired the stove. As it heated up, it turned the exact same ultra flat black as the Rustoleum. And THEN it started to burn off the damn stove!

A closer look at the can revealed that it would withstand temperature SPIKES of UP TO 1200 degrees, and temperatures of 600 degrees for more "prolonged periods". Well hell. What with burning pine, brush, newspapers, lumber scraps and whatnot, the STOVEPIPE is gonna get that hot, let alone the door and cooktop on the stove.

So I've yet to give the Rustoleum a true torture test, but I do NOT recommend the Krylon for a wood stove. Unless you like rust.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2011, 08:02 AM »
So I broke down and bought some stuff for this little wood stove project.  I bought a spring which I plan on using for the handle.  There have been some questions possed as far as if I'm gonna do an ash pan, and air intake.  Yes I will be doing an ash pan,  my intentions are to cut the bottom out and drop it down about 3-4" and then box it back in.  I will then be putting another door w/adjustable vents so that the ash can fall down and then be scooped out into a dust pan.  It will also allow me to control the amout of air getting into the stove.  I will also be putting in a Damper into the stove pipe.  I'm hoping that tonight i'll be able to just about finish this stove and get its first firing done by tomorrow night.  I'm thinking that 3" stove pipe will be suficient, but I have concerns that it may not be big enough.  I guess I will findout with its first firing and we'll see what happens.  I will be painting it with stove black paste only b/c I have a huge can of it left from my father when we had 4 franklin stoves in our old house.  One in the kitchen, livingroom, one in the basement under the kitchen, and one in the basement under the living room. 

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2011, 05:05 PM »
3in pipe has worked for me. im using a 8ft piece of exhaust pipe for the chimney.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.