Author Topic: Old Mr Heater hose  (Read 847 times)

Offline 79rac

• IceShanty Rookie
Old Mr Heater hose
« on: Dec 09, 2022, 10:11 AM »
I found an old propane tank and Mr. Buddy connection hose that I had forgotten about.  The last time I used it was well over a decade ago.  I did buy a Mr. Heater fuel filter.  The cheap part of me wants to use the old tank and hose with my buddy heater but I am wondering if the hoses degrade over time and will end up clogging my heater, costing me more money.  Any experience using an old hose?  I am guessing I should replace it but wanted to check here first.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Old Mr Heater hose
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2022, 10:16 AM »
Over 10 years old? Get a new one. Direct from Mr. Heater. It's the right one you need. No filter required.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2022, 11:05 AM »
Over 10 years old? Get a new one. Direct from Mr. Heater. It's the right one you need. No filter required.

Agree with Iceassin - why take the risk.  Its a $15 hose that should last a long time if taken care of.  Won't foul your heater.  Now, if that heater has sat for that long, and if it was stored in the garage, you probably have a gas line inside the heater that has been home to spiders etc.  They will clog the gas line and you will not have a consistent flame and you will have issues with the heating.  First try is to get the new hose, hook it up and see how it works.  If you have issues, that is where I would start looking at.  And you have a new set of questions that can be reviewed. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2022, 11:08 AM »
Is it cracked/weathered/dry rotted ? ...I have a propane hose that has to be a least 10 plus years old ...I wouldnt hesitate to use it . What hurts the Mr Heater is the pressure going through the hose from large tanks will force the leeched/leaked chemicals from the hose(s) into the heater . But it is a good idea to use a known good filter unless you have the actual Mr. Heater 10 ft hose that does not leech oils... Model# F273704 .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 79rac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2022, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I saw they were only $20 at Cabelas so I picked one up.  Ice came early this year, and I am getting excited to get out!

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2022, 11:11 AM »
Hoses do degrade for sure.

Last season I used the hose without a filter, and this year it wouldn't flow good at all. I replaced the hose and it works fine.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2022, 04:55 PM »
Use it with the filter, that's what they're made for.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.