Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 2807 times)

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gloves
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:32 PM »
Food for thought. Take a look at the eskimo gloves. I've had mine going on year 3, very warm and extremely good quality.

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2022, 03:28 PM »
I like to keep a rag hooked to my belt, as soon as I’m done getting my hands wet I’ll dry them off.  Just getting that water off as soon as possible makes a huge difference and you won’t be sticking wet hands into your gloves after.

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2022, 10:15 AM »
Yes, Carhartt. I've had probable a half dozen pairs in the last 10 years. Heat them up with a hair dryer and slather every inch and nook and cranny with snowseal. Ice fishing, ski patrol, I've put them through a ton and love them. Not expensive so I don't remind replacing them when they get too beat up.

Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2022, 12:41 PM »
I like the leather glove idea and sno seal.  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 2022, 02:16 PM »
I'm glad I found this post. My fingers this year also get extremely cold and don't want to move. Everyone's suggestion has been very helpful.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2022, 09:51 AM »
Kinco - HydroFlector- Lined Double Coated Gloves.... they are about $12 so you can buy extra. they are tough as nails on ice and if you need to dip your hand quick they stay dry.

Another vote for Hydroflectors....esp. if you're fishing in rain/sleet or slush.  Next time, I will get 1 size larger in Hydroflectors...the Atlas gloves fit me perfectly...

After a full day of fishing & hole hopping, they get a little steamy on the inside, still better than latex or nitrile gloves....and much better than wet gloves...

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2022, 01:54 PM »
I forgot to mention, when it really gets cold I use large hiking overmitts with big bulky fleece mitten liners in them.

The pair I have I got 20-30 years ago through sierra trading post.  I didn't see any there just now but this link is an example of the over mitts.
These are just big water proof shells.  Then you pair it with a big liner.  Allows you to wear thin gloves and pull them in and out of the mitts easily.  You can't really do too much with the mitts on, but allows your hands to warm up in a mitten after doing something that requires dexterity.

I usually wear an L, but have XL mitts to allow room for my light gloves to easily fit in.

https://www.rei.com/product/194829/rei-co-op-minimalist-gtx-mittens-20?CAWELAID=120217890012370200&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=110211449254&CATCI=pla-981433750788&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C21700000001700551_1948290003%7C92700057973519073%7CPB%7C71700000074410533&gclid=CjwKCAiAv9ucBhBXEiwA6N8nYAS1NpaunkBOGwc6Rc3e8UMgJtZK_uUSUUqtKNEKkXNwkOgdnSp6rhoCGJ0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2022, 10:36 PM »
I wear latex gloves while setting up in the morning and then take them off once all the traps are set up and then wear regular or no gloves depending on the air temp. Keeping a terry cloth towel on your belt to dry off is helpful too. I’ll put latex gloves back on at the end of the day when packing up too.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 13, 2022, 02:24 AM »
I wear latex gloves while setting up in the morning and then take them off once all the traps are set up and then wear regular or no gloves depending on the air temp. Keeping a terry cloth towel on your belt to dry off is helpful too. I’ll put latex gloves back on at the end of the day when packing up too.

This is what I do too. I also wear fingerless wool gloves the rest of the day.  The real problem is jigging and catching lots of fish. One hand just freezes. Haven't found that solution yet.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2022, 06:13 AM »
This is what I do too. I also wear fingerless wool gloves the rest of the day.  The real problem is jigging and catching lots of fish. One hand just freezes. Haven't found that solution yet.

Wear these under your fingerless wool gloves.  When they get a little damp from perspiration or getting wet put on a dry pair.  I keep 4 or 5 pair in my bag.  Not all mechanics gloves are the same.  You need the ones that have the latex on the palm and fingers not the nitrile and you cant get ones that are too think for the latex coating otherwise you cannot tie on hooks with them.  You also do not want the ones that the glove material is too thick for the same reason and they make your hands sweat. 

https://www.runnings.com/grease-monkeyr-honeycomb-grip-textured-latex.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.