Author Topic: Is the 6 inch Lazer faster than the 6 inch K-drill  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is the 6 inch Lazer faster than the 6 inch K-drill
« on: Aug 09, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Lets be honest I don't care if I get threw the hole 5 seconds faster or not. I noticed my K-drill with fresh blades seems harder on the drill  I see the Lazer and wonder if it's easier on the drill also someone I believe on here said the old 6 inch Mora is actually faster and easier on the drill?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is the 6 inch Lazer faster than the 6 inch K-drill
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2018, 10:04 PM »
I know my laser converted mora works good..  and I heard same as you but forget who said it About the k-drill??  But sorry I don't own the k drill to compare them??

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2018, 06:47 AM »
I do know my Mini Nero is way faster than the Kdrill. Kdrills shave the ice and Nero takes out chunks.
<===Lefty===

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2018, 07:00 AM »
In terms of speed, I would say that the Lazer has a definite edge over the K-drill. There is a YouTube video out there where a brother and sister are drilling side-by-side with a Clam Drill Plate, one with a Finbore (similar to Lazer) and the other with a K-Drill. The Finbore clearly outpaces the latter in the competition.
For the last two years, I have used my Mora Nova auger much more than both my Lazer and K-Drill. These augers go through the ice smoother, never bind, and put less strain on the drill. The cutting head on a Mora Nova is the same as a Lazer Synthetic auger, with the difference being that the former's fluting is metal whereas the latter is composite.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2018, 07:06 AM »
Here's the video I mentioned in my previous post:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wtiXpED-T3w

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2018, 07:10 AM »
It's not how fast you can drill the hole it's how many fish you can pull out of it!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2018, 06:34 AM »
Speaking of speed/power of a drill/auger set up...I will be using a drill on my 4" laser for the first time this season. And on my drill there are 2 power settings...1 is for high torque and slow speed and 2 is just the opposite, low torque/high speed. I assume I want the #1 setting...am I correct?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Speaking of speed/power of a drill/auger set up...I will be using a drill on my 4" laser for the first time this season. And on my drill there are 2 power settings...1 is for high torque and slow speed and 2 is just the opposite, low torque/high speed. I assume I want the #1 setting...am I correct?
Yes #1 For Drilling with an Auger.
<===Lefty===

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Thank you Lefty

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2018, 09:56 AM »
And keep it on the drill symbol not hammer.

sunniewally

« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2018, 05:46 PM »
   sure looks like that mini nero auger is something to look at.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRFU_eH4BbE

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Lets be honest I don't care if I get threw the hole 5 seconds faster or not. I noticed my K-drill with fresh blades seems harder on the drill  I see the Lazer and wonder if it's easier on the drill also someone I believe on here said the old 6 inch Mora is actually faster and easier on the drill?

Yes a "flat blade" strikemaster mora turns the easiest on a drill. I can turn a 10in mora with my Milwaukee 1200in lb drill.

Here is how I would rate the hand auger setups for torque on a drill setup.

1.  Flat blade shavers (like strikemaster mora) easiest
2.  Nils auger
3.  Curved blade augers (finbore, lazer, & ect.)
4.  K-drill (chipper/shaver type blade)              hardest

Note: shaver blades do not reopen holes well. With the exception of a nils power point cutting head that has a guide point.

Basicly the lazer was brought to cut holders faster by hand, it took a bit more umph to turn it, but it cut way faster. So people upgraded to them since a mora flat blade took longer to cut a hole.  Honestly with a drill setup a simple mora will cut just fine & plenty fast.....

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2018, 09:12 PM »
The Nero is a flat blade shaver and a very violent auger if your not careful it easily catches bottom on break through of ice and may jerk and injure you.  But it’s very fast cutting.  The mora blue augers are similar in design to the Nero but has some claim features that the mora blues don’t.  Mora blues are difficult to turn by hand and would not recommend one unless your using an electric drill.

Kdrill is is by far the best auger for re-opening holes, dirty ice and fishing shallow or sloughs.   However it slower as it’s chipper blades takes longer to cut ice, this in turns use up more battery run time.  With shaver blades like the Lazer or Nils you can almost double your count of holes cut per battery vs the Kdrill.

Of all the augers mention on here Kdrill is the slowest auger.  But it’s not a race it’s all about features.  Kdrill is light weight at 5lbs, redrill holes with ease and blades will cut on dirty ice.  It does require some minimal down pressure to cut since it’s chipper blades.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2018, 06:01 AM »
Yes a "flat blade" strikemaster mora turns the easiest on a drill. I can turn a 10in mora with my Milwaukee 1200in lb drill.

2.  Nils auger

Note: shaver blades do not reopen holes well. With the exception of a nils power point cutting head that has a guide point.

Basicly the lazer was brought to cut holders faster by hand, it took a bit more umph to turn it, but it cut way faster. So people upgraded to them since a mora flat blade took longer to cut a hole.  Honestly with a drill setup a simple mora will cut just fine & plenty fast.....

So Agronomist, if I under stand you correctly the Mora (blue) is better on a drill set-up than the Strikemaster (laser). Well, I'm hoping I'll be ok with my set-up 'cause I just bought it...a 4" laser on a 600 in. lb. drill. I will not...and have not...try and open up old holes. Neither by drill or hand.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2018, 04:31 PM »
From what I know from my experiences with mora nils and lazer is this but I don't own the k drill.. any one esle feel this way about these augers ?? Once you owned them all at same time you will know what I am saying if these were all 6 inch augers this is what I would come up with.. but you go to a 8 inch or 7 inch laser the mora would be a better auger at that point on the drill or by haND..

The nils = easiest end of spetrum
Lazer/finbore
Mora (as in bace bit style blades not curved)
K-drill
Mora boren spoon auger
Spud/Axe
This is the hardest end of spetrum of comparison in effort to turn..

We noticed the difference going from a spoon auger to a mora we also noticed going from a mora to a lazer auger but doing it by hand you will see a difference for sure.  You will get more holes per battery going for the easy effort end of this comparison

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2018, 06:34 PM »
Nicely said sir.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2018, 09:58 PM »
From what I know from my experiences with mora nils and lazer is this but I don't own the k drill.. any one esle feel this way about these augers ?? Once you owned them all at same time you will know what I am saying if these were all 6 inch augers this is what I would come up with.. but you go to a 8 inch or 7 inch laser the mora would be a better auger at that point on the drill or by haND..

The nils = easiest end of spetrum
Lazer/finbore
Mora (as in bace bit style blades not curved)
K-drill
Mora boren spoon auger
Spud/Axe
This is the hardest end of spetrum of comparison in effort to turn..

We noticed the difference going from a spoon auger to a mora we also noticed going from a mora to a lazer auger but doing it by hand you will see a difference for sure.  You will get more holes per battery going for the easy effort end of this comparison

I would say the mora flat blade turns the easiest, however if you drill by hand it takes a lot of turns.  So I'd move it to the top for a drill......if drilling by hand  I would say you got it in the right spot. It doesn't turn hard it just takes more turns. The beauty of a flat blade mora or a nils is they don't catch jarring a guy when breaking through with a drill setup. The curved blades like finbore and lazer will. With finbore & lazer augers the 6in isn't bad with them, but the bigger 8in can be pretty wicked if a guy doesn't know how to pull up at break threw.

Nils augers have the "slick" blade cutting head (black color) which is less curved on the blade. They made the black head specifically for a drill setup so it doesn't cut has much ice per turn. So for a low tourque drill the black head is ideal on a nils. If you got 725inlb plus behind the drill the red head will cut just fine with an 8in head.

I've reopened holes with all of them. They can all do it, but the augers with a guide point work better.

At the end of the day they all work pretty well. With the drill setups I don't know if there is really much reason for anyone to hand cut holes anymore.....unless their batteries are dead.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:07 PM »
So Agronomist, if I under stand you correctly the Mora (blue) is better on a drill set-up than the Strikemaster (laser). Well, I'm hoping I'll be ok with my set-up 'cause I just bought it...a 4" laser on a 600 in. lb. drill. I will not...and have not...try and open up old holes. Neither by drill or hand.

Oh you'll be more then fine. The difference is the mora flat blade takes less torque to turn then a lazer for a drill. With a 600inlb drill you can turn about any 6in or under auger. The lazer will catch a bit more when break through on the bottom of the ice.

You can reopen holes with both the flat blade and lazer......however it can be tricky. You need to get centered, because when cutting the new hole if the edge of the blades hit the edge where the old hole edge was it can catch the blade edge and break the blade edge. I usually just cut new holes next to old ones....if I'm in a wheel house I use my nils with a power point to guide it in the center of the old hole and slowly cut the hole. When opening an old hole the first few inches on top is generally where the problems are, and once you get down a few inches you can usually go full bore.  Just be careful....you never know what might have gotten in the hole. I've hit sticks and crap before which sucks.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Aug 14, 2018, 02:48 PM »
I have now been 2 whole seasons on my 8" (7-1/2") K-drill and m18 1200 inch pound drill. I have 3 - 5ah red lithium battery's and never used more than 2 battery's in one day. It will drill about 1" per second of ice. And I like the fact that it will re-open old holes. It is rare that we get over 24" of ice anymore, but last year we started to push 30" of ice toward the end of March. At about 25" of ice I made the switch back to my Jiffy gas auger. Just so not to wear and tear on the M-18. With 25" of ice driving my truck on the ice is no problem so the extra weight of the gas auger was not a big deal. Imo if you can drill 1" of ice per second I'm fine with that. Shaver blades may drill faster but also require more frequent sharpening, I am 2 years now on my K-drill and have not had to have a resharpen yet.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Bump

2.  Nils auger

Brining this back for reference. There are many people who are very knowledgeable about this topic. Maybe this type of info plus the torque required per auger size would be a good sticky. Maybe include the links to some of the more useful clam plate threads. The pros/cons of each auger choice, like getting stuck at breakthrough with certain auger styles. This topic really could be an article by itself.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:59 PM »
Bump
Brining this back for reference. There are many people who are very knowledgeable about this topic. Maybe this type of info plus the torque required per auger size would be a good sticky. Maybe include the links to some of the more useful clam plate threads. The pros/cons of each auger choice, like getting stuck at breakthrough with certain auger styles. This topic really could be an article by itself.

X2 keep a few of these threads as stickys  so its not three new threads every week with the same info all season. Nothing against those who have started new threads due to old ones seeing buried

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.