The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Who can last the longest?  (Read 10003 times)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Who can last the longest?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 06, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Was down to mid-20's yesterday at camp.
A small storm blew threw.
I think the snow/slush on top froze over night, but I don't think you can fish EG this time of year, not unless you want to pay extra for the privilege.
Still that that snow drift between camp and the shed.  Starts out around 6' toward the lake, and then finishes about 10' tall near the road.
Brought home my gear, and will look forward to next year.
'15 was a bust for me.

MD

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Oh, I figured the sebago smelt would be as big or bigger than the ones I've heard people catch out of some waters in another "nearby" lake.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Apr 06, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Years ago I use to catch 14" one on traps. with small shinners

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #33 on: Apr 07, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Was down to mid-20's yesterday at camp.
A small store blew threw.
I think the snow/slush on top froze over night, but I don't think you can fish EG this time of year, not unless you want to pay extra for the privilege.
Still that that snow drift between camp and the shed.  Starts out around 6' toward the lake, and then finishes about 10' tall near the road.
Brought home my gear, and will look forward to next year.
'15 was a bust for me.

MD
I wish it was, could of got a easy 2 more weeks out of the old lake.. :(
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Apr 07, 2015, 02:04 PM »
I think we will be fishing in two more weeks. only limited access . I think the ice is melting faster on the under surface than the top.

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Apr 08, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Still plenty of ice today, iced a couple

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #36 on: Apr 08, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Looking forward to the weekend. I'll be pulling a Sawyer...
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Apr 08, 2015, 05:17 PM »
I had a nice morn 30 fish, Measured the ice and it was 12" so we are losing an inch a day.It did feel like February wind cold..

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Apr 08, 2015, 05:21 PM »
I think we will be fishing in two more weeks. only limited access . I think the ice is melting faster on the under surface than the top.

I think you're right about melting from the bottom.  I checked a spot today that had 14" of good ice a week ago and was down to 10" today.  South facing shorelines starting to soften, but north facing are still solid.  With warm temps and a lot of nights above freezing in the 10 day forecast, I think this weekend may be about the last of it as far as safe ice in southern Maine.  Lakes with thicker ice might go another week.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Apr 08, 2015, 05:32 PM »
Small shallow farm ponds are now unable to walk onto  water rise and sun. Cumberland, Falmouth.

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
« Reply #40 on: Apr 08, 2015, 10:10 PM »
Guess we will last the longest...Any bets??

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #41 on: Apr 09, 2015, 04:18 AM »
3 inches of snow on the truck this morning . Not normal in southern maine on April 9th

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Apr 09, 2015, 05:41 AM »
Fished on what MG said was 28 inches yesterday.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline chief10point

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Apr 09, 2015, 02:44 PM »
we fished yesterday with 18 to 20 inches of solid ice just above Newport  :tipup:
born to fish forced to work 

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
« Reply #44 on: Apr 09, 2015, 05:15 PM »
Still alot of ice where we fish. The old ice holes are getting wide from the bottom up though. Starting Sunday and all next week the weather is going to be nice warm ice fishing weather...

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Apr 09, 2015, 05:21 PM »
I hope anyone out on the ice today missed the old holes. That snow covered all spring holes and old holes.  I wish I had 28" . Wondered if that was dia or ????????

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Apr 12, 2015, 09:19 AM »
7 togue this morning, standing on about 10" of ice.   I think it will go fast with the warm temps this week though.  This was probably the last for me unless I make a trip north a couple of hours. 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Apr 12, 2015, 05:44 PM »
Otter pond is now un accessible  a fisherman had to give up after going in to his waist this morn.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Apr 12, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Got 5 Togue  Saturday...have picture but too complicated to post,can't get my son to do it he is too busy.
Won't go out on the ice again this season.
Will be trying out the new ramp at the Park pretty soon I hope.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Apr 12, 2015, 07:15 PM »
We had 12" of ice but when getting off had to step into a foot of water shore is loosing its ice fast. we only caught 70 perch .Will try tomorrow for a couple of hours. Might need a canoe or planks to get off shore.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Apr 13, 2015, 10:57 AM »
Went out this morn . was able to walk out to the perch hole but after a 1/2 hr it started to soften up to the point we walked off early. 4" less ice this morn than sat only 8" now. Caught a doz. fish and called it a season.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #51 on: Apr 13, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Maranacook had 20" of stuff to cut through yesterday, but by day's end the top 5" was like a snow cone and the bottom was weakening.  Could see the bottom through some holes that opened up in 3-4 feet of water.  Fishing was great....needed a golf counter....but I'm done.  Might have been able to squeeze out today.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Apr 13, 2015, 11:58 AM »
I'm done.  Had some fun in the sun yesterday on mostly solid 12-14" clear ice.  Sitting a few hundred yards from shore and hearing how fast the ice was melting was a bit uncomfortable. Caught a few bass but enjoyed the company more. Good catching up with old friends. Till next year...

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Apr 13, 2015, 01:59 PM »
17 inches of good solid ice yesterday on Mcgrath in Oakland. Edges were starting to recede a little in the cove by the ball field.  And yes you could actually hear the ice melting. I'm not saying I'm done, but we will have to see how things are looking at the end of the week.

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Apr 13, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Maranacook had 20" of stuff to cut through yesterday, but by day's end the top 5" was like a snow cone and the bottom was weakening.  Could see the bottom through some holes that opened up in 3-4 feet of water.  Fishing was great....needed a golf counter....but I'm done.  Might have been able to squeeze out today.

I was there mid week last week and was surprised how much ice was left. There were a couple guys who had towed a hardside out with a side by side over the deep hole.

I am certainly no pro on the cook, but I also saw what I believe to be smelts staging to spawn in some pretty shallow water right in the middle of the day over by rose anne, something I have never seen before which made me think thats what was happening.

And by seeing, I mean my flasher was stacked, may have jigged a few just to confirm  @)

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Apr 14, 2015, 06:50 AM »
Maranacook holds its ice well.  That area tends to have a cold "micro-climate."   And yes, no shortage of smelt in the spot you mention.

I was there mid week last week and was surprised how much ice was left. There were a couple guys who had towed a hardside out with a side by side over the deep hole.

I am certainly no pro on the cook, but I also saw what I believe to be smelts staging to spawn in some pretty shallow water right in the middle of the day over by rose anne, something I have never seen before which made me think thats what was happening.

And by seeing, I mean my flasher was stacked, may have jigged a few just to confirm  @)

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Apr 14, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Ended my season Sunday, 11 inches of ice to start the day and 8 or less when I left, shorelines are getting scary. That's all she wrote for york county!

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Apr 14, 2015, 07:38 PM »
I was on maranacook yesterday 12 inches in my spot which by the time I left around 1:30 it was getting slushy and ice had melted a lot.  Pretty decent action had a couple good fish give me the shake, not sure what about the hook set made them hard to catch but ended the day with a few pickerel and yp.  I had one yellow that I thought was a smallmouth when it came out the hole, it was about a foot long dark green pushed out face, no dark bars, but the give away was the orange on the fins.  Hybrid maybe ??

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Apr 15, 2015, 06:17 AM »
Glad you got out and caught a few.  Do you have a pic of that "mystery" fish?

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #59 on: Apr 15, 2015, 06:18 AM »
I was on maranacook yesterday 12 inches in my spot which by the time I left around 1:30 it was getting slushy and ice had melted a lot.  Pretty decent action had a couple good fish give me the shake, not sure what about the hook set made them hard to catch but ended the day with a few pickerel and yp.  I had one yellow that I thought was a smallmouth when it came out the hole, it was about a foot long dark green pushed out face, no dark bars, but the give away was the orange on the fins.  Hybrid maybe ??

Did you get a picture of that funky perch? Sounds interesting

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.